Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 minutes ago, The Informer said:

As far as I can see this has been the issue with the SJFA’s stance here. I could be wrong, but the new league was set up on an application basis to allow only the teams who wanted to move the opportunity, and allow teams who wanted to stay that chance as well? However, the “all in or nothing at all” approach has sent out the wrong message in my opinion.

Precisely...and there were 15-20 clubs who never expressed an interest in it, which to my mind suggests those clubs had no intentions of moving over....unfortunately there will now be a good few clubs who will feel they have been press-ganged into moving.

The SJFA "all-in" stance seems to be only as a result of a daft non-binding show of hands at the SJFA meeting which wasn't unanimous anyway!

Edited by Hillonearth

12 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

This is the worry - it's abundantly clear some teams still clearly DON'T want to move, and things may have been better had there been some sort of rump West Region for those teams to remain in.

With 63 teams to take into consideration, it's clear that one size does not fit all, and it may have been better if the new league had been comprised of willing and enthusiastic entrants without a substratum of clubs who will have to all intents and purposes been dragged there by their heels.

Pretty much. You've had the West Region committee stumping for the all in, please apply approach. Chances are there could of been at least 20+ clubs in the West Region at the very least which would of given them enough for two divisions. Maybe even Ayrshire v. Central instead of tiers. Now there are quite a few that feel forced into something they clearly haven't even investigated because they're being told there will be nothing left it they don't.

Whatever people think of the East Region they have kept on ticking and many were happy to do so again in 2020-21 that have the option of the EoSFL.

17 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

This is the worry - it's abundantly clear some teams still clearly DON'T want to move, and things may have been better had there been some sort of rump West Region for those teams to remain in.

With 63 teams to take into consideration, it's clear that one size does not fit all, and it may have been better if the new league had been comprised of willing and enthusiastic entrants without a substratum of clubs who will have to all intents and purposes been dragged there by their heels.

After next season, whenever that is, they'll most likely find themselves in a league with the teams they have been playing against over the last few years.

Even if they have been dragged kicking and screaming into being a senior club then its going to be one season of conferences before they return to an appropriate league structure where the only difference they'll see is in who regulates them.  I know its difficult at the moment but clubs need to look long term rather than September (or whenever next season starts).

Edited by Junior Pub League

Hooray! Junior Bingo bonanza -

“The way it has been formed the Lowland League hold all the aces".

It's always the Lowland League's fault. They're just not Junior-minded. And some of them live in Edinburgh! As for the forming another league whine, 1) why can't they do that - it's not that complicated, and 2) who says there won't be a league for them to play in anyhow? If there are teams who don't leave the WRJFA, surely the WRJFA still exists?

9 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Precisely...and there were 15-20 clubs who never expressed an interest in it, which to my mind suggests those clubs had no intentions of moving over....unfortunately there will now be a good few clubs who will feel they have been press-ganged into moving.

The SJFA "all-in" stance seems to be only as a result of a daft non-binding show of hands at the SJFA meeting which wasn't unanimous anyway!

Also the Gordon Ronney West Juniors "must not leave anyone behind" approach. Is he thinking along the lines of forcing dissatisfied clubs into the WoS (like a Trojan Horse) so that it can become an entirely dual registered league - effectively under the control of the SJFA?

These clubs have been kept misinformed and may well blame the Lowland/EoS/SoS leagues rather than the undemocratic idiots who are forcing them to move "or be left behind" i.e. threatening to intentionally maroon clubs in the WRJFA with a small leaderless league.

At least the Lowland/EoS/SoS leagues were wise enough to insist on clubs applying on an individual basis. This may spike the guns, to some extent, of those who were playing the "all in" game.

Edited by Dev

That's been my opinion since day one. This "we all must stay together" has caused more grief than it has solved.

It wasn't even a show of hands, it was a rhetorical question right at the start of the meeting, not an official vote. Yet it has been used as some sort of official mandate since then.

Just now, glensmad said:
15 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It wasn't even a show of hands, it was a rhetorical question right at the start of the meeting, not an official vote. Yet it has been used as some sort of official mandate since then.

Most of the club reps around where I was sitting more or less looked round at each other and went "Eh?!"

14 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

After next season, whenever that is, they'll most likely find themselves in a league with the teams they have been playing against over the last few years.

Even if they have been dragged kicking and screaming into being a senior club then its going to be one season of conferences before they return to an appropriate league structure where the only difference they'll see is in who regulates them.  I know its difficult at the moment but clubs need to look long term rather than September (or whenever next season starts).

They need to make sure that the same people who twisted their arms to join the new league are not elected into any positions of authority.

8 minutes ago, glensmad said:
22 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Another reason why the "old guard" which runs the current West Juniors organisation mustn't be allowed anywhere near a position of authority in the new league.

Most of the club reps around where I was sitting more or less looked round at each other and went "Eh?!"
So did we, and I wondered what the agenda was behind it. That has become clear in the weeks that have followed.

It's good to see Cambuslang Rangers very active on social media in the past few weeks. Things had gone very quiet for a while there apart from word about boardroom resignations, so it's good to hear them being positive about the future.

15 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

1 minute ago, glensmad said:
16 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It's good to see Cambuslang Rangers very active on social media in the past few weeks. Things had gone very quiet for a while there apart from word about boardroom resignations, so it's good to hear them being positive about the future.

Hear from the last game they played that the manager is manager in name only and that a certain other individual was making all of the playing decisions.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. If a West team is promoted to the LL and the relegated team is from the East, I presume the relegated East team drops into the EOSFL. 

Does this mean the top division EOSFL has an extra team for the following season or until such time as an East team is promoted and a West team is relegated?