Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

13 minutes ago, davie talbot said:

GLENAFTON ATHLETIC CLUB STATEMENT

As most of out members and fans are aware of we were in talks to incorporate the junior set up into the SFA, but eventually the pyramid talks collapsed, sonafter long discussions on social media, group text and live feeds Glenafton Athletic has decided to apply for the proposed new league set up for next season.
There will be a new West of Scotland management committee formed and the it will be taken forward for presentation and as existing members of the Scottish junior FA we still will be eligible to continue to compete in the Scottish Junior Cup , but may be some alterations to suit the new league set up.
This is an enormous opportunity for our club to participate in this new exciting venture and challenge, all applications must be in for 7th April then to be ratified by the SFA in early June, but in the meantime we will keep everyone updated and release any information as it comes available.
So everyone please stay safe and healthy and hope we return to some normality in the near future

Yours in sport John Stewart (Glenafton Athletic Secretary)

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned here or did I just miss it

Another rather confused statement but I THINK they're saying they've applied to the WoSL??

(Sarcasm alert)

From FitbaNorth credit to HammersXI

All North clubs are being asked their views on a couple of proposals

1. what should happen with this season as the likelihood, under the current circumstances, of any football before June will be very very slim which then means the season would continue possibly through past the start of next season unless teams were asked to play at least 3 times a week. A couple of suggestions are null and void or places based on average points system which would allow promotion/relegation.

2. The West Junior Clubs want to form a West of Scotland League which would mean leaving the Juniors and forming a new association, however they still want to be affiliated to the Juniors so they can take part in the Scottish Junior Cup with the proviso that the West of Scotland League Fixtures take precedent. They also want no replays, which the North Region has previously recommended but were rejected by the West at the time.

There is IMO quite a big difference between pointing and laughing at people you think are talking complete bollocks, and "hounding" them into doing things they don't want to do. I fully support the right of Armadale to do whatever they want with their club, of course, but at the same time I'd be very grateful if someone could post their Twitter statement (as I'm not signed up for it) so I can have a good laugh (and doubtless mark a few entries on my Junior Statement bingo card).

10 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

There is IMO quite a big difference between pointing and laughing at people you think are talking complete bollocks, and "hounding" them into doing things they don't want to do. I fully support the right of Armadale to do whatever they want with their club, of course, but at the same time I'd be very grateful if someone could post their Twitter statement (as I'm not signed up for it) so I can have a good laugh (and doubtless mark a few entries on my Junior Statement bingo card).

I think this is the tweet being referred to:

https://twitter.com/thistle_c/status/1243559633987538944?s=20

1 hour ago, davie talbot said:

GLENAFTON ATHLETIC CLUB STATEMENT

As most of out members and fans are aware of we were in talks to incorporate the junior set up into the SFA, but eventually the pyramid talks collapsed, sonafter long discussions on social media, group text and live feeds Glenafton Athletic has decided to apply for the proposed new league set up for next season.
There will be a new West of Scotland management committee formed and the it will be taken forward for presentation and as existing members of the Scottish junior FA we still will be eligible to continue to compete in the Scottish Junior Cup , but may be some alterations to suit the new league set up.
This is an enormous opportunity for our club to participate in this new exciting venture and challenge, all applications must be in for 7th April then to be ratified by the SFA in early June, but in the meantime we will keep everyone updated and release any information as it comes available.
So everyone please stay safe and healthy and hope we return to some normality in the near future

Yours in sport John Stewart (Glenafton Athletic Secretary)

Surprised that this hasn't been mentioned here or did I just miss it

https://www.facebook.com/glenaftonathletic

Well spotted.

45 minutes ago, archieb said:

I think this is the tweet being referred to:

https://twitter.com/thistle_c/status/1243559633987538944?s=20

Thanks! Short, but sour. Packing such a lot of pig-headed wrongness into fourteen words is strangely impressive, though. Jim Traynor could learn much from that geezer.

2 hours ago, DiamondOwl said:

I used “Junior” as the adjective to define the level of the players playing the football. Similarly, I could have written “Kids” football or “Amateur” football. It’s all football. The word “Junior” has been used for over 100 years to describe a level or grade of football in Scotland. Many teams and players are happy to see that continue and are happy to call themselves “junior” and play in a Junior Football League. I hope that’s cleared that up for you.

I'm afraid it hasn't, no. 'Amateur' means they don't get paid more than expenses, and 'Kids' means they have to be under a specified age for each level. What does 'Junior' mean?

Other than the word 'Junior', what's the actual difference between a league, a club or a match under the WRSJFA and the EOSFL?

2 hours ago, DiamondOwl said:

To reply to both.... I stated "It's all football".

I didn't say there was any major difference between senior non-league football and junior football, did I?

The bottom line is that some clubs see no reason to throw away their junior history and are happy to continue to be defined by that grade/level.

Surely it's up to them if they want to continue to stay loyal to what they see as their identity?

Can you explain what's meant by 'identity'?

And can you say how a match between any two of the 63 members of the WRSFA is different from the same two teams playing each other in the WOSFL?

2 hours ago, spit said:

Cumnock have applied for there licence so must have applied for senior status,

The list includes statements made on web sites, Twitter, Facebook etc or which have come from officials of clubs.

It seems obvious that Cumnock and Girvan have applied but it needs some sort of verification ……...

30 Clubs which have Applied so far/have said that they will be applying:    
Premiership (6) Championship (11) League One (8) League Two (4) Others (1)
Clydebank Arthurlie Bellshill Athletic Ashfield Drumchapel Utd PYM
Glenafton Athletic Blantyre Victoria Glasgow Perthshire Newmains United  
Kilwinning Rangers Cambuslang Rangers Greenock Juniors Vale of Clyde  
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy Cumbernauld United Kello Rovers Vale of Leven  
Pollok Darvel Larkhall Thistle    
Rutherglen Glencairn Gartcairn Juniors Maryhill    
  Kilsyth Rangers Port Glasgow Juniors    
  Neilston Juniors Royal Albert    
  Petershill      
  Renfrew      
  Whitletts Victoria      

Not known to have applied so far:      
Auchinleck Talbot Craigmark Burntonians Ardrossan Winton Rovers Annbank United  
Beith Juniors Dalry Thistle Carluke Rovers Ardeer Thistle  
Benburb Irvine Victoria East Kilbride Thistle Forth Wanderers  
Cumnock Juniors Shotts Bon Accord Girvan Johnstone Burgh  
Hurlford United St Roch's Lanark United Lugar Boswell Thistle  
Irvine Meadow XI   Lesmahagow Juniors Maybole Juniors   
Kilbirnie Ladeside   Shettleston Muirkirk Juniors  
Largs Thistle   Wishaw Juniors Saltcoats Victoria  
Rossvale     St Anthony's  
Troon     Thorniewood United  
      Yoker Athletic  

Some clubs don't have web sites or, if they do, they don't keep them up to date. Not all clubs use social media. This applies especially to WRJFA clubs from League Two. It also applies, more generally, to the West Lothian Junior clubs.

Some clubs like to keep things to themselves.

This means that the list isn't complete and won't be until the League goes public with an announcement of clubs which will form the league. It won't announce clubs which may have been rejected or those which expressed an interest but didn't apply.

If anyone is able to give a clue as to the number of current applications that would be interesting.

Passed Central Park,Whitburn on a "daily" walk the other day and to my astonishment heard work being undertaken I.e the sound of a stihl saw.
Looked thru the turnstile next to the social club and it looks like Whitburn are putting an entrance or turnstile into and behind the "shed" on the Lomond Crescent side of the ground.
All in all in the last few yrs at Central park theres been new changing rooms erected,new steel main gates with "Central Park 1934" on them also a 40 seater stand plus 2 new dugouts and now the new entrance/turnstile into the shed.
Seems a lot of work being done just to stay where they are in the ERJFA!!
There are pics on their Facebook page showing the enclosure has been completely refurbished inside. New slabbed paving over 5 or 6 steps. No longer a death trap, looks very good, a lot of work by the looks of it.

18 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I'm not sure that one word would describe their position. However, It seems very much in line with the five stages of grief, somewhere between "Denial and Isolation" and "Anger"

image.jpeg.15b1a5e677c06f0027538e7c1b69b035.jpeg

Next season they may go through the "Depression" stage, and then enter the "Bargaining" stage with the EOSFL to see at what tier they can enter the pyramid, and finally "Acceptance" of what they are offered at tier 8 or whatever.

By then it will be Tier 9.....

2 minutes ago, Dev said:

This means that the list isn't complete and won't be until the League goes public with an announcement of clubs which will form the league. It won't announce clubs which may have been rejected or those which expressed an interest but didn't apply.

Why are you proliferating this fake assertion when it has been categorically denied umpteen times that any applicant clubs will be rejected?

10 minutes ago, Dev said:

Some clubs don't have web sites or, if they do, they don't keep them up to date. Not all clubs use social media. This applies especially to WRJFA clubs from League Two. It also applies, more generally, to the West Lothian Junior clubs.

Some clubs like to keep things to themselves.

If anyone is able to give a clue as to the number of current applications that would be interesting.

It won't be complete until the closing date of 7th April....anecdotally, I know of another four or five clubs who have definitely applied,  but it's down to them when or indeed if they make it public. I've heard, again anecdotally, that it's now north of 40 applications.

Let's not forget those who we might class as "reluctant" potential applicants...possibly those who didn't initially express an interest and who don't particularly want to move but will probably do so out of expedience when they realise just how little will be left behind if they don't...

24 minutes ago, archieb said:

Why are you proliferating this fake assertion when it has been categorically denied umpteen times that any applicant clubs will be rejected?

Clubs from outwith the WRJFA might be rejected.