Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Cumbernauld United say West of Scotland League is a 'game-changer'

The Guys Meadow club are very much in favour of the new proposals.

“We voted for this two years ago, as did 80 per cent of the junior clubs, and we wanted to progress the pyramid, but it just hasn’t been delivered until now. It was a landslide decision to do this, and they haven’t managed to deliver that, but they have a chance to do that now.

“It’s a game changer for us, for sure. We need instructions to be in place, and make sure it is done properly.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/cumbernauld-united-say-west-scotland-21765317

Wake up Fauldhouse, Armadale, Bathgate, Whitburn etc and "taste the coffee" - in other words make adjustments and face reality.

Edited by Pyramidic

No point in trying to engage with these people any more. Their wee clubs are quite happy operating in their own wee bubble, in a West Lothian pub league.

Let's just let them get on with it.

Cumbernauld United say West of Scotland League is a 'game-changer'
The Guys Meadow club are very much in favour of the new proposals.
“We voted for this two years ago, as did 80 per cent of the junior clubs, and we wanted to progress the pyramid, but it just hasn’t been delivered until now. It was a landslide decision to do this, and they haven’t managed to deliver that, but they have a chance to do that now.
“It’s a game changer for us, for sure. We need instructions to be in place, and make sure it is done properly.”
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/cumbernauld-united-say-west-scotland-21765317

Wake up Fauldhouse, Armadale, Bathgate, Whitburn etc and "taste the coffee" - in other words make adjustments and face reality.

2 hours ago, archieb said:

The standard of info being put out on behalf of some clubs and in the press is execrable.

It's almost like a general election campaign!

Some of it is astonishing. The press stuff is obviously gleaned second-hand and is open to inaccurate interpretation, but all clubs have been privy to the same meetings etc, and clearly some have either misunderstood or chosen to misunderstand exactly what's going on e.g.

The new league will not be administered by the SJFA and won't be a continuation of the current setup.

Once accepted into the new league clubs will only continue to be members of the SJFA if they specifically choose to do so, and the only SJFA competition they will still enter will be the Scottish Junior Cup.

What team/ground are you referring to here ?
Dunipace.

There is nothing like the smell of burning wood and someone sending smoke signals in the second half to remind you of what level of football you play......then the fire brigade arrive.....

12 minutes ago, TheLad said:

No point in trying to engage with these people any more. Their wee clubs are quite happy operating in their own wee bubble, in a West Lothian pub league.

Let's just let them get on with it.

They are fast becoming an isolated reservation surrounded by “Pyramid country”.

Some of it is astonishing. The press stuff is obviously gleaned second-hand and is open to inaccurate interpretation, but all clubs have been privy to the same meetings etc, and clearly some have either misunderstood or chosen to misunderstand exactly what's going on e.g.
The new league will not be administered by the SJFA and won't be a continuation of the current setup.
Once accepted into the new league clubs will only continue to be members of the SJFA if they specifically choose to do so, and the only SJFA competition they will still enter will be the Scottish Junior Cup.
And this is exactly why the new league was required to be by application. Fair play if the west region are encouraging teams to apply, however, a newly formed committee who are forward facing and forward thinking will be required to drive the wosfl in the right direction.

Clubs may be surprised to learn that the new league isnt what they think it is (a continuation of what they have). It isnt, it a new conference system administered by a new committee on behalf of the clubs, not the sjfa.

Sjfa membership can continue if clubs want but for me I think even that will dwindle as clubs get licensed, which isnt a bad thing, as the sjfa will most likely cease to exist in a few years.

Welcome on board. Good to finally have the west in the pyramid......without the shadow of the sjfa over its head.

Surprised at the lack of (public) non junior applicants so far. In recent times there's been talk of Oban Saints, Rothesay Brandane, Bonnyton Thistle, Glasgow Uni and Strathclyde Uni. Don't know how much of these rumours were substantial and, obviously, clubs don't need to announce publicly but I thought we'd see more by now.

Get a move on Dunoon

20 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Surprised at the lack of (public) non junior applicants so far. In recent times there's been talk of Oban Saints, Rothesay Brandane, Bonnyton Thistle, Glasgow Uni and Strathclyde Uni. Don't know how much of these rumours were substantial and, obviously, clubs don't need to announce publicly but I thought we'd see more by now.

Get a move on Dunoon

I wouldn't take a lot of internet gossip as being more than that. Otherwise Kelso United and Duns would have returned to the EoSFL already.

We know there are non-WRJFA clubs that put in notes of interest nobodies really been publicly outed amongst them other than Drumpchapel United. We'll just have to wait and see if that interest leads to applications.

Get a move on Dunoon
Probably once these clubs realise that they will be pitched in with the 63 clubs from the WRSJFA, they'll maybe have a wee re-think.

7 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:
48 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Get a move on Dunoon

Probably once these clubs realise that they will be pitched in with the 63 clubs from the WRSJFA, they'll maybe have a wee re-think.

why?

13 hours ago, The Speaking Pariah said:

Not really, Craig. Cumbernauld was the eastern part (or parish) of historic East Dunbartonshire for many decades, well over a century at least, before the old counties were reorganised in the seventies.

Clyde FC, a Glasgow club has been based in Cumbernauld since 1994, which is quite befitting considering Cumbernauld is a massive Glasgow overspill. Cumbernauld Colts... and now Cumbernauld United and Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (who are based in Cumbernauld Utd's ground, in the Village) have joined the two existing seniors in the old historic county.

But for some strange reason Cumbernauld new town, and all its Glaswegian residents therein, was detached from its historic roots and put into North Lanarkshire Council along with the old industrial towns of Airdrie and Coatbridge, which apart from consuming large amounts of Buckfast Tonic Wine (the Buckfast Triangle, lol), attending Airdrie Sheriff Court, and Monklands Hospital, it had no real cultural ties or connections... but such is life.

It's mental that Cumbernauld is administered from a council that sits in Motherwell, but such is the absurdity of Scotland's gerrymandered "local" government.

5 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I really find the hard to understand. I would love to stay in those flats or the one at Cumbernauld. I know very few show interest, but would they be that anti-neighbour to deny the opportunity to play a few games a year under lights? They'll already have a few 7.00pm KO's anyway. They bought a house 20 yards from a football ground, what did they expect?

I grew up near Hampden and some neighbours used to moan about it. Like, didn't you notice the massive, internationally famous football stadium over there when you bought your house? 

Absolutely. Some folk take the term NIMBY to extremes. It's certainly worth Pollok having early discussions with Glasgow City Council. Auchinleck are planning to erect floodlights in the near future, and their ground is surrounded by houses on all four sides. But no-one would dare object ....
Is that the floodlights that the council have had to contribute a large sum towards?

45 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Rossvale and Gartcairn have done OK in recent seasons, so no obvious reason to think Bonnyton couldn't hold their own.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Get a move on Dunoon

Out of the ones you've mentioned I wouldn't imagine any more than three max actually applying, and there's only one of those I'm fairly sure that will. I think there's been a lot of online 2+2=5 going on based on what areas/towns currently lack a non-league presence.

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Out of the ones you've mentioned I wouldn't imagine any more than three max actually applying, and there's only one of those I'm fairly sure that will. I think there's been a lot of online 2+2=5 going on based on what areas/towns currently lack a non-league presence.

Time to announce P&B FC as founder members of the WoSFL. Get Div on the case. It's shocking the internet football community doesn't have a senior football team in Scotland.

12 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

• Rothesay = Never seen before on here
  • Oban Saints = Get mentioned because they already travel into the Glasgow area for amateurs and are meant to have a decent enough ground.
  • Glasgow University = Due to being existing SFA members.
  • Strathclyde University = After a couple of years of hypothetical scenarios around Glasgow Uni joining the pyramid, some people seem to have added Strathclyde to the mix.
  • Bonnyton Thistle = Only one I have any faith in applying since they aren't amateurs like the rest and could see some greater benefit in joining the WoSFL over the SoSFL.

43 minutes ago, Tam_O_Shanter said:
5 hours ago, RedEd said:
Absolutely. Some folk take the term NIMBY to extremes. It's certainly worth Pollok having early discussions with Glasgow City Council. Auchinleck are planning to erect floodlights in the near future, and their ground is surrounded by houses on all four sides. But no-one would dare object ....

Is that the floodlights that the council have had to contribute a large sum towards?

Think you will find if you want to check your facts that most of the necessary funding was raised through the Club and the Beechwood Regeneration Committee. Further checks will show that most if not all of the Clubs who have now got new 4G facilities, incl new grounds, and/or floodlights, not only in the West Region, have all been supported by the local authorities.

why?
Only because I think that may think it better to remain as a big fish in their own pond than swimming over the dam into a loch filled with even bigger fish.
Or in the case of Bonnyton, leaving a tier 6 league where they could end up in a 3 way play-off to join tier 6 conferences where they'd need to win a 4 way play-off to get into the 3 way play-off. Which might also once the 1st season is over see them at tier 9 if things go badly for them. That's why.