Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

6 hours ago, GordonS said:

It's not. If a large number of clubs want to play football outside their organisation, there's nothing they can do about it. The only levers they have over those outside the umbrella are referees and the 5 Scottish Cup spots.

They also have a big lever in the shape of player registration: anyone playing in the "outside" could effectively be banned from any SFA-affiliated competition (and in any FIFA member country), so no career progression available.

I also wouldn't underestimate the task of recruiting and training referees.

44 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They've certainly done their bit trying to promote Bo'ness United Juniors v. Linlithgow Rose CFC as the real thing. Seems to be relatively well received at that level.

My conspiracy theory is that the Pro Evo teams are SJFA creations to try and trick old lads into thinking it's still BAU.

27 minutes ago, The Money Man said:

With Kilwinning, Clydebank, Glencairn and Bellshill all announcing they have submitted an application. Who are there big rivals and do yous think that will force the hand of any of them to go to wosl if things don't go well with the meeting tomorrow night?

The number of applications are already meant to be around 20 as it is. You'll probably find much of that number are current West Premiership sides as they're going to be the most effected if they don't move.

I'm not entirely sure what can be decided on Monday that hasn't already been said between them: Retain Junior membership, come in as 63 and continue to play in the Junior Cup if they want.

The Junior Cup and Junior membership issue needs the other regions to agree to it for starters. Then not everyone might want to join the pyramid as we've seen by not everyone putting in a note of interest.

With Kilwinning, Clydebank, Glencairn and Bellshill all announcing they have submitted an application. Who are there big rivals and do yous think that will force the hand of any of them to go to wosl if things don't go well with the meeting tomorrow night?
Our traditional rivals are Cambuslang Rangers, but we've only been in the same league as them once in the past 15 years, so I don't think us declaring will have much influence on them. It's all quiet out of Somervell Park at the moment, I have spoken to a few of their long-standing supporters and they hadn't a clue what the club's intentions are.

I agree clubs could play Saturday Monday Wednesday and cancel cups or postpone them till beginning of next season
Have you ever played Saturday Monday Wednesday? That is unthinkable for me.

Sporting integrity is for normal circumstances. This is certainly not normal. Season is a write off, sadly.

But squeezing games 4 a week certainly isnt the answer.

11 hours ago, theesel1994 said:

There is no point declaring winners right now. But at some point they will have to say the season is void.

The  2019-20 season could carry on until  (at the latest ) December . Still 2020. 

2020-21 season could then be a  shortened version .

5 hours ago, the rambler said:

I could answer if I knew who they were. 

What difference does it make who they are? I'm not being argumentative here, genuinely want to understand.

2 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

They also have a big lever in the shape of player registration: anyone playing in the "outside" could effectively be banned from any SFA-affiliated competition (and in any FIFA member country), so no career progression available.

I also wouldn't underestimate the task of recruiting and training referees.

I think banning someone from playing seniors if they've played Juniors could well be an unlawful restraint on trade. https://www.hrlaw.co.uk/site/library/legalnews/restrictive_covenants_and_unlawful_restraint_of_trade.html 

You're right about referees, it's not a small lever but I don't think it's quite the same as being in charge. If the SFA withdrew referees from SJFA matches then some referees would quit the SFA system and work in the Juniors. 

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They've certainly done their bit trying to promote Bo'ness United Juniors v. Linlithgow Rose CFC as the real thing. Seems to be relatively well received at that level.

Well received by who ? Crowds have been around 70 for these games. The real thing was and still  is always over a thousand.

This season's a write-off, end of story. Probably there's a case for completing this year's Junior Cup at some point, but the leagues are finished, and with the amount of teams likely to be away at the end of the season there would necessarily be a restructure by what was left which would make this season's promotion/relegation immaterial.

Even with the most optimistic projections, things will just be starting up again by mid-June and even people shouldn't be in denial that subsequently it'll then be a case of snapping straight back to business as usual.

There's a very real chance that a lot of teams have already probably played their last game in the juniors without even knowing it.

16 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Well received by who ? Crowds have been around 70 for these games. The real thing was and still  is always over a thousand.

These were the crowds of the South Super & South Premier up until the end of 2019

image.png.9380d65dede06a49d338a9c8b8d3b2b5.png

image.png.096ff6499d9c51fe497b20ffdeca9cac.png

6th March - 172 - Bo'ness United Juniors v. Linlithgow Rose CFC
15th November 259 - Bo'ness United Juniors v. Linlithgow Rose CFC
10th August ??? - Linlithgow Rose CFC v. Bo'ness United Juniors

4 hours ago, Tutankhamen said:

The last thing on the planet i'm thinking about at this time is the Pyramid.

That's seriously what some folk are thinking about?

Must be Russian bots or summit.

If that's how you're feeling right now buddy then I'm really sorry to hear it. We're all dealing with this in our own ways.

For me, live sport is the thing I'm missing most. Last Saturday I kept involuntarily reaching for my phone to check scores. Yesterday when I woke up my first thought was "what are today's lunchtime kick-offs". Live sport is one of the main things that helps me deal with the general shit-show that is life in a world under Trump and Johnson.

So yeah, a lot of my headspace is around "Is it better for the reluctant West Juniors to be dragged into the pyramid in the name of solidarity, or is it better they go their own way but this stupid division remains? How do you fairly stick Glasgow Uni into a league with Auchinleck Talbot? If the SPFL decided to complete the season and that works its way down to the LL and the EoS, what will the new applicant clubs do while they're waiting? Is it better to play the Women's Euros straight after Euro 2020 in its original schedule, or should that be bumped into the empty summer of 2022?" What else do I have to think about?

I'm also watching full matches on YouTube - really enjoyed Scotland v France on the SFA channel last night, and Scotland v Australia on the Scottish Rugby channel the night before.

And finally...

In 1942, Shostakovich premiered his Symphony Number 7 in Leningrad, right in the middle of the siege. The performers were the surviving members of the Leningrad Radio Orchestra, supplemented by military musicians. Rehearsals were difficult because performers were literally starving - the first rehearsal ended after 15 minutes because they were so tired. People who love music donated some of their own meagre rations so that the musicians would be strong enough to play.

On 9 August 1942, the day Hitler had chosen to celebrate the fall of Leningrad, the concert was given in the Grand Philharmonia Hall. A huge barrage was fired to quell the German guns, and the performance was played over speakers for soldiers on the line. At the end there was an hour-long ovation and the conductor was presented with a bouquet of flowers, in a city where everything that could grow was eaten.

Why all this effort in the midst of a siege that killed a third of the population? Because in the worst of times, the things that you love matter even more. We're humans, and it's what we do. And it's a collective thing - people with a shared love of something coming together to celebrate it. It's a massive f*ck-you to whatever is getting us down.

We're not in anything remotely as serious obviously, but those human characteristics don't change. We love football, we spend more time thinking about it and talking about it and arguing about it than we do watching it. It's who we are.

Edited by GordonS

18 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

This season's a write-off, end of story. Probably there's a case for completing this year's Junior Cup at some point, but the leagues are finished, and with the amount of teams likely to be away at the end of the season there would necessarily be a restructure by what was left which would make this season's promotion/relegation immaterial.

Even with the most optimistic projections, things will just be starting up again by mid-June and even people shouldn't be in denial that subsequently it'll then be a case of snapping straight back to business as usual.

There's a very real chance that a lot of teams have already probably played their last game in the juniors without even knowing it.

In the West Region in particular there's a pretty wide spread of extremes of how many games are left to play in their leagues.

West Premiership: 2 games - 14 games
West Championship: 6 games - 14 games
West League One: 4 games - 11 games
West League Two: 4 games - 14 games

From their perspective its probably easier to just focus on the creation of the WoSFL and sort whatever maybe left of the West Region.

50 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Not so, 1st game was 250+, lst one on the Friday night was 172. :unsure2: 

The first league game was also on a day when both Linlithgow teams were at home. With the big team being in the Scottish Cup.

Think they've learned from that by moving to Friday nights.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

1 hour ago, GordonS said:

What difference does it make who they are? I'm not being argumentative here, genuinely want to understand.

I think banning someone from playing seniors if they've played Juniors could well be an unlawful restraint on trade. https://www.hrlaw.co.uk/site/library/legalnews/restrictive_covenants_and_unlawful_restraint_of_trade.html

I agree, but could a new league afford to take legal action? Even the SJFA's famous £500k wouldn't get them far once the lawyers are involved.

Come to think about it, doesn't the same apply to the Juniors' reinstatement fees?