Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

9 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Nope. Red line.

A fully independent WoSFL is the way forward, the LL can set this up and invite applications and it will happen.  This is a very uneccesary distraction to moving forward.

Seems to be according to that joint statement and accounts given of the meeting, something along those lines was considered acceptable by the respective league committee reps.

Seems to me the pyramid leagues are doing their members a disservice instead of trying to grow the South Challenge Cup. 

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

In the scenario that the rambler describes the LL would effectively be leading the SJFA around in a gimp suit in blazer politics terms. The mind boggles how anyone can see a red line in any of that.

Says you.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Says me

When do the ERJFA and NRJFA get a say in all of this?

For months you were saying the west region could enter alone and be the west feeder alongside the EoS and SoS by adopting pyramid norms. Now it appears to be on the verge of actually happening that's suddenly not OK.

Doing things region by region makes sense. The ERJFA needs to dissolve itself into the EoS south of the Tay and the NRJFA needs to hook up with the HL. The only issue that really still needs to be resolved is Tayside

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Seems to be according to that joint statement and accounts given of the meeting, something along those lines was considered acceptable by the respective league committee reps.

Seems to me the pyramid leagues are doing their members a disservice instead of trying to grow the South Challenge Cup. 

It's not in the gift of any one individual at the WRJFA to deliver it, they seem to have gone rogue and have completely forgotten the fact that the ERJFA and NRJFA exist, and it's every much their Junior Cup as anyone else's. Meanwhile the normally vocal TJ remains quiet. The SJFA would also be required to approve these changes at EGM given that (in theory at least) the WoSFL would not consist of Junior clubs.

As you say, we should be aiming for an enhanced South Challenge Cup, that would not happen in these circumstances. LL/EoS/SoS in CC, WoS in JC.

If you want to remain an SJFA member and play in the Junior Cup, stay with the Juniors.  If you want to join the Pyramid and play senior football, join an independent WoSFL.

Just now, LongTimeLurker said:

For months you were saying the west region could enter alone and be the west feeder alongside the EoS and SoS by adopting pyramid norms. Now it appears to be on the verge of actually happening that's suddenly not OK.

Doing things region by region makes sense. The ERJFA needs to dissolve itself into the EoS south of the Tay and the NRJFA needs to hook up with the HL. The only issue that really still needs to be resolved is Tayside

The SJFA/WRJFA had their chance and consistently threw it back in the faces of the Pyramid leagues for years.

The LL set in motion a plan that should have happened at least 2 years ago, they can easily deliver it, they can easily attract sufficient members to make it a success right from the start.  I'm not sure why they aren't continuing down that path.

Another open goal missed in this whole saga.

If I'm reading & interpreting things correctly WOS clubs will only play in the Junior Cup instead of both the Junior Cup & South Challenge Cup. If the junior cup is to stick around I'd rather be playing in both for sake of integration & with all due respect to whats left of the east juniors I'd rather have the chance to play Bonnyrigg, Lithgae & Bo'ness rather than Whitburn, Bathgate & Pumpherston.

Of course I could be mis-understanding & clubs will play in both.

4 hours ago, Born To Run said:

Further clarifications:

- Any concern that this is a “ruse” can be dispelled. There is genuine will on all sides to get this done.

- We are talking purely about the WRSJFA. The North and East are not part of this scenario.

I sincerely hope so and I hope it works out. I think it's a big compromise on the LLs part to be still open to working with the JFA considering their long-standing incompetence and backwards outlook.

But if it can finally get all teams under one functioning system then, all good. If it works out, personally would love to see the Junior Cup become a nationwide cup for tier 5 and below as long as it can be run without screwing everything else up.

Edited by Cameron Wilson

7 minutes ago, the rambler said:

West Region criticised for not going alone and sticking with all in. Now they have gone alone "what's happening with North and East Juniors" 

There's a world of difference between Regions agreeing to seek entry as individual organisations (as should have happened a while back), than the WRJFA reneging on the agreed mandate and cutting the other two loose and then volunteering up the Junior Cup to non-members with absolutely no authority or involvement of the other Regions, or the SJFA.

So, when do the ERJFA and NRJFA get a say?

Edited by Burnie_man

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Here come the red dot nutters again. If you deviate slightly from the Sendero Luminoso of ending any trace of the junior grade once and for all you must be bludgeoned into submission and silenced. Good to hear cooler heards are coming to the fore and fingers crossed things go well on the 23rd. That would still leave time for Whitburn and co to see sense in the east and get applications in for the EoS.

Fair point. Furthermore I think it's important to distinguish between dislike or opposition to JFA adminstration, and Junior football as a whole. IMO there are many wonderful things about Junior football, albeit found in semi-pro football elsewhere. The passion and dedication to it that this whole thing has brought to the fore is a good thing if it can be channeled positively towards making the pyramid better.

But the JFA and related associations have, as administrative bodies, proven themselves not fit for purpose and shown zero leadership whatsoever. 

Best case scenario is that their impending doom has sharpened minds, who knows. Let's see.

28 minutes ago, the rambler said:

Option to play in both

But it's not really an option is it?

Junior Cup retains current membership you've got 8 rounds to fit in. That's with replays and two legged semis scrapped.

SCC already has 7 rounds, with the addition of all West Clubs it gets bumped to 8 rounds.

You've also got the increase of clubs that will get licenced and play in the Scottish Cup adding to the current Juniors commitments.

Letting West teams join the pyramid as one but stay members of Junior FA and play Junior Cup would keep almost every single supporter and committee member of a West Region Junior team happy while enabling clubs who wish to join the pyramid to do so and progress. The Junior Cup has a rich and long history and if we can keep this and encourage more teams instead of fewer teams to participate and make it the premier non league cup trophy then great. The South Challenge Cup won't bring out the crowds, just ask Linlithgow them along with others would enjoy to be back in Scottish Junior Cup to make it the premier non league cup competition but league will take preference which is what we want. Will be tough to fit in with South Challenge Cup too but I am sure teams know that may have to opt out of one of regional cups if wish to play in Junior Cup but 1-6 games could be fitted in most seasons apart from this season with awful wet weather and Coronavirus. Meadow for instance last season were done by early April / end of March and could have been even earlier.

Seems positive discussions and both parties are making great moves towards a sensible way forward for tier 6 and below. Both sides have made concessions.

If plans don't fall into place then with all clubs leaving as one will leave clubs with a week or less to make a big decision so clubs will need a back up plan too if SJFA don't want this.

The only problem I see is Tayside so it is quite right West Region goes it alone and takes them out equation as they really can't do anything about that and North are already moving towards potential pyramid entry for licensed clubs who win league / play offs in NCL / North Region.

13 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

But it's not really an option is it?

Junior Cup retains current membership you've got 8 rounds to fit in. That's with replays and two legged semis scrapped.

SCC already has 7 rounds, with the addition of all West Clubs it gets bumped to 8 rounds.

You've also got the increase of clubs that will get licenced and play in the Scottish Cup adding to the current Juniors commitments.

One round less with the 6 (so far) departures in the East. 127 clubs now.

Letting West teams join the pyramid as one but stay members of Junior FA and play Junior Cup would keep almost every single supporter and committee member of a West Region Junior team happy while enabling clubs who wish to join the pyramid to do so and progress. The Junior Cup has a rich and long history and if we can keep this and encourage more teams instead of fewer teams to participate and make it the premier non league cup trophy then great. The South Challenge Cup won't bring out the crowds, just ask Linlithgow them along with others would enjoy to be back in Scottish Junior Cup to make it the premier non league cup competition but league will take preference which is what we want. Will be tough to fit in with South Challenge Cup too but I am sure teams know that may have to opt out of one of regional cups if wish to play in Junior Cup but 1-6 games could be fitted in most seasons apart from this season with awful wet weather and Coronavirus. Meadow for instance last season were done by early April / end of March and could have been even earlier.

Seems positive discussions and both parties are making great moves towards a sensible way forward for tier 6 and below. Both sides have made concessions.

If plans don't fall into place then with all clubs leaving as one will leave clubs with a week or less to make a big decision so clubs will need a back up plan too if SJFA don't want this.

The only problem I see is Tayside so it is quite right West Region goes it alone and takes them out equation as they really can't do anything about that and North are already moving towards potential pyramid entry for licensed clubs who win league / play offs in NCL / North Region.

Was wondering if TJ et al had been consulted yet so that answers one of many questions. Be very interesting to see how the SJFA respond when proposals are tabled to them.

12 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

One round less with the 6 (so far) departures in the East. 127 clubs now.

If West clubs get to keep playing in the Junior Cup why wouldn't the East teams if they wanted. 

As soon as you say teams can keep junior membership but not play in a junior league, there's nothing to stop East teams doing the same.