Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

36 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

If the north Juniors now move to become a senior league then all that's left is the north of Tay Bridge group and the West Lothian clubs in the Juniors. The first could form their own Tayside Senior League and or merge the top division of that with the top clubs currently the north Juniors.

The West Lothian clubs have an answer right on their door-steps in the EoS.

This could be a "Done-Deal" by the end of April albeit it would need the late inclusion/switch of clubs to be regarded as an "Exceptional Situation" as currently highlighted on the EoS web site!

1 minute ago, Dev said:

Sorry, but  the SJFA, Junior Cup, etc need to be consigned to history ASAP.

There is an opportunity here, with the SFA looking for a new sponsor for the Scottish Cup, to incorporate the South Challenge Cup into any new sponsorship deal. It would be a very minor part financially of a deal. 

Rename it the SFA Trophy, play the final at Hampden (now owned by the SFA) and allow all Pyramid clubs to enter. Play the first round on a Regional basis.   A bit of lateral thinking and willingness and you could have a "Non League Finals Day" with the Amateur Cup Final the early game followed by the Trophy Final.

It's that type of thinking that will give the game and clubs a fresh impetus.

10 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Not sure the guy that shouted "F*ck the LL"  at Tuesdays meeting fits the profile.

It needs people who understand what the Pyramid is all about and want a fresh start for clubs in the west, I'm sure they will have suitable candidates.

They're not short of suitable people in the west. Now they have the opportunity to come forward.

Just now, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

The Junior Cup would be a great addition to the pyramid run for all below league two.

Keeping it for what's left of the juniors is an affront to what it used to be. The prestige died when the east left. Its just a west junior league Cup now.

Best to just retire it gracefully, the original trophy is already in the Hampden museum, let Talbot keep the new one.

7 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

There is an opportunity here, with the SFA looking for a new sponsor for the Scottish Cup, to incorporate the South Challenge Cup into any new sponsorship deal. It would be a very minor part financially of a deal. 

Rename it the SFA Trophy, play the final at Hampden (now owned by the SFA) and allow all Pyramid clubs to enter. Play the first round on a Regional basis.   A bit of lateral thinking and willingness and you could have a "Non League Finals Day" with the Amateur Cup Final the early game followed by the Trophy Final.

It's that type of thinking that will give the game and clubs a fresh impetus.

South challenge cup has a sponsor now soccershop

The biggest issue I can see with the rumoured proposal is that the Junior Cup will need it's scheduling overhauled to avoid clubs losing x Saturday's to postponed ties including the possubility of being played midweek if the home team has the facilities ie floodlights.

Secondary is will those who go senior have their voting rights within the sjfa changed.

Who issues the fixtures for the South Challenge Cup? How do they work it when its entrants come from 3 different Leagues plus others?

I'm just trying to see how a Scottish Junior Cup could continue when they no loinger have the priority over fixtures that they currently enjoy.

Just now, theesel1994 said:

Who issues the fixtures for the South Challenge Cup? How do they work it when its entrants come from 3 different Leagues plus others?

I'm just trying to see how a Scottish Junior Cup could continue when they no loinger have the priority over fixtures that they currently enjoy.

The LL, EoS and SoS run the competition between them, they meet regularly.  I guess the WoS will be added to that now.  Given the same person does the fixtures for all three leagues, he schedules dedicated weekends for cup fixtures. 

2 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

It's done by the 3 leagues. Since the fixture Secretary is the same for the EoS & lowland that certainly helps. I'm guessing they just agree the 7 dates in the calendar. Then work around that.

2 minutes ago, grinderbrokeyourhearts said:

It's a beautiful cup and has great history behind it. Personally I'd retire the South and north challenge Cup (if the latter exists).

North didn't get to a 3rd season (was sponsored by SFA for the initial seasons). Was a retread of the Highland League Cup which had the prestige it did not. Duplicate = bin.

14 minutes ago, Dev said:

They're not short of suitable people in the west. Now they have the opportunity to come forward.

I’ve been saying that from the start, just look at the east where the guy at Broxburn (who was initially sceptical) but is a great football man, is now at the top table of the EoS.

I can understand it’s a sore one to take at the moment for some of the old school guys in the West Juniors, but it doesn’t mean they have nothing to offer. Working together with a fresh slate, the real football men on committees still has a lot to offer and can help make this new league a success 

7 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

The LL, EoS and SoS run the competition between them, they meet regularly.  I guess the WoS will be added to that now.  Given the same person does the fixtures for all three leagues, he schedules dedicated weekends for cup fixtures. 

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's done by the 3 leagues. Since the fixture Secretary is the same for the EoS & lowland that certainly helps. I'm guessing they just agree the 7 dates in the calendar. Then work around that.

I seem to recall Matt Spiers (Ayrshire JFA) fixtures secretary had trouble organising the West of Scotland Cup as his counterpart at the Central Region was reluctant to give up the fixtures. 

From what I can see this compromise with WR & WoSL seems the best solution unless someone throws a spanner in the works. I hope they can all agree on a joint statement to issue soon and not rely on "done deals."

Just now, theesel1994 said:

I seem to recall Matt Spiers (Ayrshire JFA) fixtures secretary had trouble organising the West of Scotland Cup as his counterpart at the Central Region was reluctant to give up the fixtures. 

From what I can see this compromise with WR & WoSL seems the best solution unless someone throws a spanner in the works. I hope they can all agree on a joint statement to issue soon and not rely on "done deals."

All settled at the SFA AGM! 😂

I joke.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

I also get the feeling that if the vast majority of WRJFA clubs join, the current structure has a chance of remaining intact rather than Conferences although non-Junior clubs wishes would need to be priority if that was the case

Although there is the argument to be made that whether yer coming from SoS, Junior or amateur everyone enters on an equal footing I think we all know the Juniors are on average stronger and, if they are making the overwhelming majority of the members of the WoSFL it's a very minor compromise to allow them to come in at a roughly equal structure that they're in currently.

I doubt teams coming from amateur or youth football would raise too much complaint about this and may even be happy to AVOID hammerings from clubs like Talbot. Inverkeithing took some time to find their feet at this level and are doing great and I'd imagine other clubs making a similar jump would be the same. Starting at the bottom might be in their favour in that respect.

The two caveats I would have to allowing the West Region structure to be moved over would be: anyone playing in the 6th tier now* (or being relegated from the 5th) must be placed into the top level of the WoSL. Whether this means more junior sides being "relegated", an expanded top level (even if temporary) or conference (or conference hybrid) system would be up for the teams to decide.

The other caveat would be it would need to be a unanimous agreement from any clubs who would be getting placed at the lowest level.

*ETA would personally include Glasgow Uni in this as SFA members but, conversely, wouldn't include Girvan because they're already in that pyramid if it was to be shifted over.

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

34 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Kenny McLean does fixture for lowland and eosfl. South challenge cup has set dates in callander if it's off it either gets played midweek or at the next cup date