Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont think its disrespectful in the slightest, Brechin are the bottom club in Scottish football and id think the top west clubs would comfortably beat them.

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw. But Forfar and Stranraer are the league above Brechin and are third tier regulars.

11 minutes ago, Tom Wilson said:

Apologies if somebody else has already posted this but according to wiki (which is prone to errors), Burntisland Shipyard hosted Celtic in the Scottish in 1939 and lost 8-3. Does this mean that Lochee United are better than Celtic.......

Yeah, because a result from 81 years ago can really be compared to football now...

2 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw. But Forfar and Stranraer are the league above Brechin and are third tier regulars.

Well at least one of them will be going down to the fourth tier. Stranraer are on the decline, with crowds lower than most League Two clubs so who knows if they'll get back up.

37 minutes ago, RedEd said:

If I can throw my tuppence worth in, I thought the reference to Forfar, Stranraer and Brechin was a bit disrespectful. Apart from that it was an interesting read which clearly indicates that the new league is happening.

There’s a bit missing from the article when I talked about populations of towns  with teams currently in the higher leagues

Populations

Stranraer 13k, Kilwinning 18k 

that’s why, in time, they’ll be looking over there shoulder, I know some people at Stranraer and they are watching the developments closely

16 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Well at least one of them will be going down to the fourth tier. Stranraer are on the decline, with crowds lower than most League Two clubs so who knows if they'll get back up.

Stranraer look like they've had it but Forfar have a fighting chance of staying up. As it happens Stranraer have built decent sides with relatively small budgets in the recent past. It's usually a cracking away trip as well.

4 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Stranraer look like they've had it but Forfar have a fighting chance of staying up. As it happens Stranraer have built decent sides with relatively small budgets in the recent past. It's usually a cracking away trip as well.

Isn't the Stranaraer model to overspend, then spend a few years digging themselves back out the shite?

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Isn't the Stranaraer model to overspend, then spend a few years digging themselves back out the shite?

They have been known to do that, but I think that's a bit in the past. Not the only ones though, senior or junior.

On 27/02/2020 at 09:03, Burnie_man said:

It can easily go to just 1 Prelim Round with a bit of fiddling higher up, an all-in round one would be even better if it is achievable. 

Apparently all that was required we were told is to agree to ‘potentially’ seed the Championship Clubs in Round 4 if I remember rightly 

On 27/02/2020 at 10:52, FairWeatherFan said:

By all in, I don't think they'd be meaning an open draw. I'm the sure Premiership sides won't enter till the 3rd or 4th round for example.

By all in we believe ( from the South meeting ) that to be everyone Licensed at Tier 6 and all invitational sides plus potentially everyone at Tier 5 but I may have picked that up wrong 

We did that once in the past. But because we’re a members club we had to repay all our debts. Administration or liquidation and creating a pretend club were not options for us.

TBH, given our history and the size of our budgets, we may well spend some time in the LL in future. But with a decent WoSL below, even that wouldn’t be a scary prospect. And the essence of a pyramid is that most clubs will spend time at different levels, as we’ve already done by playing at three different levels in the SPFL.

We did that once in the past. But because we’re a members club we had to repay all our debts. Administration or liquidation and creating a pretend club were not options for us.

TBH, given our history and the size of our budgets, we may well spend some time in the LL in future. But with a decent WoSL below, even that wouldn’t be a scary prospect. And the essence of a pyramid is that most clubs will spend time at different levels, as we’ve already done by playing at three different levels in the SPFL.
I'd say as well Stranraer sustaining at a national level despite their geography & relatively small fanbase/catchment demonstrates that SPFL football is viable for the bigger non-league clubs.