Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Other than on here, I've not heard of anyone suggesting that. It's a theoretical possibility that led to a discussion about Guadalupe. 

Well unless you're in close with those in sfa membership that know the sort of proposals that go in front of the SFA AGM, where would you expect to hear about it?

It's not mainstream news. Look how little coverage non-league football gets.

It's in the same vein of newly licensed clubs not getting a vote until promoted to a PGB league and the last time there was a vote on scrapping junior places in the Scottish Cup. Two things I really on heard about on here.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

Does the structure of the Scottish Cup really have much more to do with the future of the Juniors than the structures of the leagues? Plenty of quality discussion on this in the domestic cups forum.

Yes, I am a hypocrite. Not wrong though...

You are wrong.  Junior football, in future, almost certainly won't be able to enter the Scottish Cup, something they have enjoyed since 2007.  Next season may be the last where the Junior League Champions and Junior Cup winners are able to qualify and enter the Preliminary rounds.

33 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Hearing the "notes of interest" in a WoSFL have now exceeded 30.  Going to be a busy meeting whenever the LL call it.

That's a significant chunk of the current 63 West Region junior clubs.

Maybe some of the clubs who haven't really thought about this yet will now have their people asking questions about why not.

12 minutes ago, glensmad said:

That's a significant chunk of the current 63 West Region junior clubs.

Maybe some of the clubs who haven't really thought about this yet will now have their people asking questions about why not.

We're presuming (probably correctly) the majority are fro the juniors. Might be a weird yin when it's Clydebank, Kilwinning and 30 teams from the ammies.

Assuming you are right and about half the West Regions coming over I wonder if their will be an extension like the EoS had when it became clear the trickle was becoming a torrent.

36 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Hearing the "notes of interest" in a WoSFL have now exceeded 30.  Going to be a busy meeting whenever the LL call it.

Being able to set up a West of Scotland pyramid league of 16 clubs was probably the original target for the pyramid. On the assumption that BM's information is accurate about the level of the 'notes of interest'  is correct, I am of the view that 32 clubs 2020/21, would be the ideal number of clubs for 2020/21. 

However,  whether the the Lowland league would be able to effectively integrate/organise in excess of 32 (WoSL) clubs (in time) for next season, could be an interesting challenge.

In addition, the clubs transferring to the EoSL for 2020/21,  adds to the pyramid challenge overall. Also, discussions are continuing about  changes in the Highlands

Furthermore, the consequential impact on the remaining Junior clubs,and the structure(s) in both the West and East regions, will also need to be addressed.   This forum will be kept busy for a while yet ! 

Clubs will be holding meeting with fans over the next couple of weeks.

Do they have anything from the SJFA to present to those fans? They're going to be looking at the number of former Junior clubs getting Licenced and thinking that will not be beyond their own club. But Licensing will only be available to clubs in a League which is part of the Pyramid. This keeping clubs and fans in the dark may have worked in the past but I suspect in today's world it won't wash.

8 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Clubs will be holding meeting with fans over the next couple of weeks.

Do they have anything from the SJFA to present to those fans? They're going to be looking at the number of former Junior clubs getting Licenced and thinking that will not be beyond their own club. But Licensing will only be available to clubs in a League which is part of the Pyramid. This keeping clubs and fans in the dark may have worked in the past but I suspect in today's world it won't wash.

Doesn't look like it from the this article with Kilwinning's chairman https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayrshire-junior-chairman-pyramid-ambitions-21588195

“Ultimately, I would like to see a vast majority of the West Premiership retained and playing each other but if that’s not going to happen then we’ll just go with what all the new  clubs decide is the best way forward.

“We’re disappointed in the management of the SJFA for not taking it forward.

“They keep telling us there is ongoing talks but there’s no agenda or minutes set for these talks.

“There’s still no plan whereas the Lowland League and East of Scotland League do actually have a plan and are pushing things forward.”

15 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Hearing reliably that the west regions last gasp efforts to claw something back have officially failed.

Sounds like a shot in the foot in the "last chance saloon".

I think that it is all down to the lack of commitment to the Pyramid by many of the blazers.  Looking forward to some fresh blood and new vitality in the WoSFL

5 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Doesn't look like it from the this article with Kilwinning's chairman https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/ayrshire-junior-chairman-pyramid-ambitions-21588195

“Ultimately, I would like to see a vast majority of the West Premiership retained and playing each other but if that’s not going to happen then we’ll just go with what all the new  clubs decide is the best way forward.

“We’re disappointed in the management of the SJFA for not taking it forward.

“They keep telling us there is ongoing talks but there’s no agenda or minutes set for these talks.

“There’s still no plan whereas the Lowland League and East of Scotland League do actually have a plan and are pushing things forward.”

Brilliant article - the Kilwinning chairman can see it -  believable and talking very much like it's going to happen. 

Done deal!

Edited by Che Dail

7 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Aye good article apart from this bit

“People are saying the South Challenge Cup doesn’t have any history but as of next year it does.”

If I can throw my tuppence worth in, I thought the reference to Forfar, Stranraer and Brechin was a bit disrespectful. Apart from that it was an interesting read which clearly indicates that the new league is happening.

15 minutes ago, gogsy said:

Aye good article apart from this bit

“People are saying the South Challenge Cup doesn’t have any history but as of next year it does.”

Probably just looking at it from the point of view of the people who are saying it... 

If I can throw my tuppence worth in, I thought the reference to Forfar, Stranraer and Brechin was a bit disrespectful. Apart from that it was an interesting read which clearly indicates that the new league is happening.

Dont think its disrespectful in the slightest, Brechin are the bottom club in Scottish football and id think the top west clubs would comfortably beat them.

On 27/02/2020 at 13:32, Marten said:

Premiership clubs starting in the same round as everyone else isn't going to happen, let's get real. And should you really want a fixture like Celtic v Burntisland Shipyard? I've been to Lochee United v Burntisland Shipyard in the 1st preliminary round this season. That finished 7-0 and the only reason that the score wasn't higher, was because the pitch was awful due to it pouring down with rain so Lochee didn't want to take any unnecessary risks and slowed down considerably in the second half, otherwise I have no doubt the game would've ended in double figures. Imagine them playing Celtic...

Apologies if somebody else has already posted this but according to wiki (which is prone to errors), Burntisland Shipyard hosted Celtic in the Scottish in 1939 and lost 8-3. Does this mean that Lochee United are better than Celtic.......