Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

7 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Glad to see that Tranent will be one of those Licensed clubs.

All of our top 9 clubs are Licensed so no issue of not getting a promoted club from the EoSFL to the Lowland League at the end of the season

image.png.a29e3c0f478057ab6619fa435f661478.png

Hopefully clubs in the new WoSFL will soon be in the same position.  And what is left for those remaining in the WRJFA and ERJFA rumps?

Two cheeks of the SJFA arse?

At a recent South meeting Rod Petrie appeared to be Championing an all in 1 round scenario to avoid this 3 preliminary rounds scenario which virtually all in attendance agreed with 

This should genuinely be all-in, including ALL SPFL teams. Outdoor be much more exciting.

Premiership clubs starting in the same round as everyone else isn't going to happen, let's get real. And should you really want a fixture like Celtic v Burntisland Shipyard? I've been to Lochee United v Burntisland Shipyard in the 1st preliminary round this season. That finished 7-0 and the only reason that the score wasn't higher, was because the pitch was awful due to it pouring down with rain so Lochee didn't want to take any unnecessary risks and slowed down considerably in the second half, otherwise I have no doubt the game would've ended in double figures. Imagine them playing Celtic...

It works in France. (Indeed would be Burntisland v Celtic, given the more than two leagues difference.)

It works in France. (Indeed would be Burntisland v Celtic, given the more than two leagues difference.)
They absolutely do not have an all-in first round in France. Over 8000 teams participate in the French Cup and the Ligue 1 teams enter in the 9th Round (last 64).

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
26 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

They absolutely do not have an all-in first round in France. Over 8000 teams participate in the French Cup and the Ligue 1 teams enter in the 9th Round (last 64).

Correct, they even have regional qualifying rounds before it becomes all in (including the overseas regions) in the 7th Round. It is a great competition though: one leg only, lower division teams always play at home, designed to trip up the big teams! We complain about travelling in Scotland, but the distances some teams have to travel to play a game involves flyinh half-way around the world. This season, JS Saint-Pierroise from La Réunion made the 10th Round as well.

1 hour ago, Cyclizine said:

Correct, they even have regional qualifying rounds before it becomes all in (including the overseas regions) in the 7th Round. It is a great competition though: one leg only, lower division teams always play at home, designed to trip up the big teams! We complain about travelling in Scotland, but the distances some teams have to travel to play a game involves flyinh half-way around the world. This season, JS Saint-Pierroise from La Réunion made the 10th Round as well.

A good French precedent.

Perhaps the SFA would fly Shetland FC and Lewis & Harris FC to away games, so that they can join the NCL full time ?

10 hours ago, craigkillie said:

The fixture schedule is already absolutely packed for Premiership clubs - it's not clear where these extra rounds would fit in. Rangers, for example, already have a rearranged league game against St Johnstone which literally has no available date before the split, and they haven't even had a single cup replay or weather related postponement (beyond Livi which was rearranged the next day).

When you take a random break of nearly 3 weeks mid way through the season you can’t claim to have a packed schedule, and that’s ignoring the 1 off situation of needing to finish the Scottish cup early for euro 2020.

10 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

I completely agree with the view that if a club doesn't engage with the senior pyramid then they forfeit the right to compete in a senior competition.  I've never personally agreed with Amateur teams taking part who play on a school pitch and then have to go and find somewhere else to play the game.

That said, I agree that the Licencing categories really need looked at.  Entry level extends from League One all the way down to Burntisland Shipyard.  Maybe there needs to be a  "Basic" level which allows you to compete in the Scottish.

I am a big advocate for expanding the licensing process. Especially as entry is (rightly) tightened. In a fully expansive pyramid system that goes from start up amateurs to the OF we are missing a few tiers.  Entry gets a little more strict with some requirement for seats to better reflect that it covers up to league 1. ‘Enhanced basic’ which is basically the entry requirement of a year or so ago with no need for floodlights or seating. Applies to tier 6 and tier 5 for first 2 years at that level.  Basic for newly promoted tier 6 sides and tier 7(possibly tier 8), enclosed ground, majority of the paperwork requirements of entry. And competent for below that which is basically a secure home pitch and basics like a first aider in attendance, appointed personal for secretary etc, submitted accounts.   Anything below that and you are a recreational club. 

overall on the Scottish cup.  I am instantly suspicious of wanting to restrict entry in anyway.  It should be as open of competition as possible. More clubs the better. That said arguing for every club starting in the same round is a bit far.  All clubs in but staggered entry is best.  

30 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

When you take a random break of nearly 3 weeks mid way through the season you can’t claim to have a packed schedule, and that’s ignoring the 1 off situation of needing to finish the Scottish cup early for euro 2020.

The consequence of the winter break is that we have loads and loads of midweek fixtures in December, January and February, which is the main reason I don't think we should have it. I don't think it would make sense to scrap the break to add in two extra games and then still have to play all those midweek games anyway.

The Scottish Cup final date doesn't have anything to do with it either - the backlog comes at this point in the season where all the fixtures have to be played before the split - what happens after the split isn't important. The Scottish Cup semis are the same weekend they always are, so the split date hasn't been affected.

Does the structure of the Scottish Cup really have much more to do with the future of the Juniors than the structures of the leagues? Plenty of quality discussion on this in the domestic cups forum.

Yes, I am a hypocrite. Not wrong though...

5 hours ago, GordonS said:

Does the structure of the Scottish Cup really have much more to do with the future of the Juniors than the structures of the leagues? Plenty of quality discussion on this in the domestic cups forum.

Yes, I am a hypocrite. Not wrong though...

Well, if they scrap qualifiers entering then yes it does.