Burnie_man

Junior football, what is the future?

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

Not disagreeing with that, but I think Lok are probably in the same boat as Talbot and Glens - not wanting to rock it too much while still at sea. Get closer to shore and...

Very much so, a nothing statement really.

4 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Can you actually see any west premier team leaving? I know for a fact just about every club has been in about it like a dug eating beetroot.

I haven’t been to a game yet in 2020 so not sure what the feeling is. Hopefully Lok a bit less blinkered than some clubs but we shall see. Might try and get along to Neilston on Saturday given Brig O Lea is actually the closest football ground to my house.

1 minute ago, Burnie_man said:

Very much so, a nothing statement really.

I disagree. Carefully worded and guarded but the subtext is clear. We're too 'establishment' to give a wee V to TAJ.

1 minute ago, ShrimpLok said:

I haven’t been to a game yet in 2020 so not sure what the feeling is. Hopefully Lok a bit less blinkered than some clubs but we shall see. Might try and get along to Neilston on Saturday given Brig O Lea is actually the closest football ground to my house.

It will be a repeat of the East - once the dominos fall, the only clubs left will be district level ones not sure what to do.

1 minute ago, cmontheloknow said:

I disagree. Carefully worded and guarded but the subtext is clear. We're too 'establishment' to give a wee V to TAJ.

Personally for me it's better to say nothing at all, and once the formal application process begins then at that point make the statement that you are applying.

To be fair to Pollok, almost all statements so far are off the same basic template "we'll wait and see"

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

It will be a repeat of the East - once the dominos fall, the only clubs left will be district level ones not sure what to do.

That's my take on it, it will closely mirror the east with around half moving initially.

It must be slightly worrying for the SJFA when the best supported club in the grade have come out and said give us what we voted for or we may be offski.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Personally for me it's better to say nothing at all, and once the formal application process begins then at that point make the statement that you are applying.

To be fair to Pollok, almost all statements so far are off the same basic template "we'll wait and see"

I don't think they're waiting and seeing and I know they cannot just apply without the backing of the membership. The committee do not have that autonomy. I don't know how other clubs work but our committee are technically elected by the membership at the AGM and you're automatically up for re-election every few years or so. If the committee did it off their own back, there'd be hell to pay. Hence statement first to set out the lie of the land.

Edited by cmontheloknow

3 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Get the impression Lok are taking the Bo’ness route. Waiting for others to take the lead but ultimately will take the plunge.

18 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

"The Club understand that the SJFA are still trying to facilitate the entry of the Juniors to the pyramid and any developments on this front will be monitored. "

No they're not.

1 of the "big" teams in the West needs to be brave and just say, "if the SJFA doesn't get an all in, we will be moving to WoSL".

Once 1 of them say it, the rest will follow.

I get the feeling it's what they are all thinking, they just don't want to say it in case the WoSL league doesn't go to plan.

1 minute ago, theesel1994 said:

It must be slightly worrying for the SJFA when the best supported club in the grade have come out and said give us what we voted for or we may be offski.

The only statement so far that has been fully supportive of the SJFA has been from St Anthony's. Even Talbot's emphasised getting ready for licensing, which hinted at going in a different direction if the SJFA are unable to find a solution as is inevitable at this point.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

You've got to keep in mind most of these statements aren't for people on PnB or even the media at large. They're for the specific clubs fans. You can imagine just about every committee has been asked by several people what all this pyramid stuff is about, and wondering what's happening.

They're just trying to keep their fans informed as best they can.

7 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

That's my take on it, it will closely mirror the east with around half moving initially.

It will be a lot more than half in the West.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpLok said:

Get the impression Lok are taking the Bo’ness route. Waiting for others to take the lead but ultimately will take the plunge.

The Bo'ness route was more convoluted than that and involved a last minute U-turn after the membership initially opted to stay. If the deadline is rigid on March 31st this time these meetings are going to have to be handled carefully.

5 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The only statement so far that has been fully supportive of the SJFA has been from St Anthony's. Even Talbot's emphasised getting ready for licensing, which hinted at going in a different direction if the SJFA are unable to find a solution as is inevitable at this point.

The Ants statement is more to do with one the Blazers being from the Ants.

The problem for clubs like Brechin isn't how far the games are from their town but their players.
Most players come from the central belt and it's not uncommon for teams to train in the central belt twice a week and meet players for away games at the ground. They only see Brechin in for home matches.
If suddenly player needs to head to Banff and Buchan every week they just won't attract those players.
I can see why from Brechins point of view they would do all they can to get around this.

It’s how far for their current players.

As has already be alluded to it would likely be a massive turnover if they were to drop down a league and geographically where Brechin is the HFL makes sense, especially if in the next few years we see some of the weaker HFL teams get relegated and replaced with the likes of Banks O’Dee, Lochee etc.

Also, Cove went two seasons with Paul McManus travelling from Fife to play for Cove, Martin Scott travelling up for a year and Nairn having countless Central belt players in the glory days travelling to play including David Hannah, Callum Antell and Kyle Wilkie. Couple that with the fact Brechin would be the team in the Tayside area playing at the highest level they could get the best from that area, and guys from Aberdeen - many of who already travel to Buckie, Fraserburgh and Banff to play which are all the best part of an hour from Aberdeen.

Basically in that rambling post... the line doesn’t need moved.

15 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

You've got to keep in mind most of these statements aren't for people on PnB or even the media at large. They're for the specific clubs fans. You can imagine just about every committee has been asked by several people what all this pyramid stuff is about, and wondering what's happening.

They're just trying to keep their fans informed as best they can.

Fair point

11 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

It will be a lot more than half in the West.

Over 32? bedlam if that happens.

Here's a twitter poll result of the fans of WRJFA clubs, with a decent sample of 588, that probably reflects reasonably accurately how entry to the pyramid is viewed.

Would you prefer your club to move into pyramid with or without SJFA?
With SJFA 43.5%
Without SJFA 42.9%
Just not at all 13.6%
588 votes · Final results

I read it as an acceptance that an overwhelming number of clubs will eventually opt for pyramid entry, although half of them would still like to see them enter as one. 

Edited by Footballfirst

25 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

It is polite and respectful and leaves the door open if there is some miraculous turnaround in SJFA ability to negotiate pyramid entry for next season.

Reading between the lines, the club is prepared to give SJFA the benefit of the doubt but if it cannot deliver, the WoS route will be taken to ensure that Pollok can play at the highest level possible, which is fair enough.

About right...?