Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

36 minutes ago, Black Pennel said:

Burnie Man...I don't really know how or why it has got to this...but...as wee Melanie said... "Look what they've done to your thread, man...Look what they've done to your thread".

For the love of all things reasonable...Kill it now !!

Put it out of its misery....

In my defence, I am a hypocrite. 

7 hours ago, AML67 said:

The South can’t be all that poor Alan as your own team only beat a depleted Newton Stewart side 4-0 at home in the Scottish Cup and that was against 10 men for 50 minutes ! They had two goalies , two sixteen year old kids and a thirty something striker that hadn't kicked a ball that Season on the bench so hardly had options to alter the contest did they ? Their playing budget is zero , it would be interesting to know what your Clubs is before you knock the South 

It was tongue in cheek of what the juniors would say not me

2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

It was tongue in cheek of what the juniors would say not me

Fair enough Alan and a decent response from yourself ! We found everyone connected with Camelon to be smashing folk and thoroughly enjoyed our visit despite the scoreline last August. 

7 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Lanark United committee member having trouble understanding why Rosyth are moving to the EoS...

This shows the problem in thinking here that there still is with many people. Obviously, the pyramid isn't just about the chance to get into the SPFL. It's about giving even tiny clubs a chance to improve and about letting all clubs ultimately find their level. Loads of people on here know that, but that's still a message that needs to be spread to hesitant clubs everywhere.

9 minutes ago, Marten said:

This shows the problem in thinking here that there still is with many people. Obviously, the pyramid isn't just about the chance to get into the SPFL. It's about giving even tiny clubs a chance to improve and about letting all clubs ultimately find their level. Loads of people on here know that, but that's still a message that needs to be spread to hesitant clubs everywhere.

And also staying in touch with historic rivals.

Burnie Man...I don't really know how or why it has got to this...but...as wee Melanie said... "Look what they've done to your thread, man...Look what they've done to your thread".

For the love of all things reasonable...Kill it now !!

Put it out of its misery....

I wish they would stop talking about Wales, Norway and Ryan bloody Giggs. I'm sure there's a thread on the go elsewhere for this pish!

Guest Moomintroll
CQN are very good at what they do and have a top manager. Caught Killie at the right time with a new coach who barely spoke English and who the players clearly didn’t take to.
Embarrassing pish, sure. Killie complacent and CQN played out their skins.
Andy Morrison is an angry arsehole who embodies everything that is wrong in Football, however, the squad he has put together would run through walls for him. Have watched them a few times since our debacle, it isn't pretty but they win games and the effort the players put in is remarkable, sod refereeing one of their games with him on the touchline though, utterly ridiculous antics, like a Poundland Steve Evans

21 minutes ago, parkcircus said:

Given the word is that they are seeking their licence, then they pretty much have to.

Perhaps word is also seeping out that the last ditch attempt by the WRJFA to get into the Pyramid en-masse has failed.

7 hours ago, GordonS said:

The big change wasn't something that happened in Scotland, it's that other countries started taking coaching seriously and there was a huge leap forward in the technique levels of players, especially from middle and lower ranking countries.

While our 11 years olds were told they were a left back, played 50 full-size competitive matches a year and screamed at if they lost the ball, their 11 year olds were playing 3, 4, 5 a sides, never fully competitive, and being coached in how to control the ball with your back to an opponent.

Where I think the pyramid might have a role is that there may be a much bigger focus among clubs on youth development, as we've seen in the LL, EoS and SoS with the under 20s league. It's typical for towns in Western Europe to have one club running youth teams at every age grade, under qualified coaches. Our equivalents don't even have reserves. In the Dutch equivalent of my own town, Linlithgow, there would be a club with 3 or 4 pitches and large youth squads under a UEFA licensed coach. Unless things have changed recently, we have some school teams with sod all coaching and a few amateur community teams being taken by one player's da. 

One thing did happen in Scotland though - the numbers playing football dried up. While other countries have taken huge steps to counter that, how much fun do you think it is for an 11 year old to play in a team that gets humped every week in competitive games on full sized pitches and hardly touches the ball? But that kid could easily grow up to be, at least, a Paul Lambert. Instead, they get fed up and do something else with their Saturdays.

For the number of players and clubs, for our size as a footballing country, we are huge underachievers. (As are our neighbours down south, who ought to have won as much as France, Spain and Italy, yet lag behind Czechia).

Out of that list I'd say Belgium are the closest we have to a peer in football. (Slovenia is less than half our size and the average attendance in their top league is less than Arbroath are averaging this season!) Belgium have reached two World Cup semi-finals, one quarter final, one round of 12 and three rounds of 16. In European Championships they have a final, a semi-final and a quarter final.

Scotland have never played a single knock-out match at a tournament finals. We used to be First Plane Home, now we're What's A Tournament? We've done nothing, ever, in nearly a century of serious international football. We haven't even made it to a play-off since 2005 and we're only talking about Euro 2020 because we had access to the League C back-door.

In fact, every country on your list except tiny Slovenia has gone further in tournaments than us.

As for cyclical, when was our cycle last upwards? I would say we have been going continuously downhill since 1992 in terms of performance, and continuously downhill since the early 80s in quality of player.

Does this have anything to do with "the future of the Juniors"? Maybe, if clubs start seeing themselves more about being the apex of football progression in their community and less about results on a Saturday afternoon. But I doubt it.

Spot on - and is relevant to this thread.

Just picking up a couple of points:  I think there's often a general acceptance of mediocrity in this country, not just in football but in many aspects of its life and culture .  'Too wee, too poor, too stupid", instead of standing up and saying "No, we're being held back, we're better than this - what do we need to do to fix it?" And,  "What positive lessons can we learn from other countries that can be implemented here?"

"The future for Junior football", or rather the future for Junior clubs could be so much better - things have improved significantly in the East in the past 2-3 years, now it's time for the West to follow suit.  

We are underachievers and we all have a part to play in improving Scottish Football from top to bottom.   

Edited by Che Dail