Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, TFW said:

Re Berwick, they're definitely struggling. Sixth from bottom having won 6 drawn 6 and lost 12 of their 24 league games thus far.

They always were going to struggle tho'. Boardroom shenanigans. Complete lack of confidence in the squad. Cost cutting for the drop. I think they'll do better next year but they needed a root and branch re-assessment of how their club is run and it seems like some of that has happened but dunno if it's enough.

1 hour ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

If relegated they would go to the Highland League due to being above the line set at the River Tay, but the club wish to play in the Lowland League due to many of their players living around the Central Belt and the fact that they train there.

Thing is this is a red herring as if they go down they'll lose all their players more or less and have to sign up any Cove rejects going!

8 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Thing is this is a red herring as if they go down they'll lose all their players more or less and have to sign up any Cove rejects going!

But at least they won't be going to Elgin again on a wet Tuesday night in November...

8 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

What is the future of junior football? Could be auchinleck being in a league with all the lower league teams winning 13-0 like the south of scotland league  

Or if they go the junior cup final could be lugar vs boness reserves. That's the future

The South can’t be all that poor Alan as your own team only beat a depleted Newton Stewart side 4-0 at home in the Scottish Cup and that was against 10 men for 50 minutes ! They had two goalies , two sixteen year old kids and a thirty something striker that hadn't kicked a ball that Season on the bench so hardly had options to alter the contest did they ? Their playing budget is zero , it would be interesting to know what your Clubs is before you knock the South 

On 22/02/2020 at 23:55, Born To Run said:

This may be of interest.

As part of my prep for the piece I'm writing, I asked a couple of questions to representatives from senior & junior clubs as well as the Lowland. I'm sharing the full Q&As before the article comes out Sunday/Monday, so that people can refer to them without my editing clouding any judgments.

Full Q&As - Thanks to all that gave me their time and answers.

Not a surprising answer from St Anthony's given the person's surname, and going by his twitter conversations!

Would be good to have someone from Bonnyrigg on the LL podcast to talk about their season, they seem to be getting less coverage with you guys having links to Kelty, ES, BSC. :)

4 hours ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

No way are 13 SoS clubs moving to the WoS.

If half the clubs went the other half would surely follow?

Edited by Ginaro

On 23/02/2020 at 13:45, nicotina said:

does ryan giggs have any league of wales players in his squads

genuine ?

Gary Lloyd of the (old) Barry Town was called up by managerial genius, Bobby Gould, in the late 90s.

Eifion Williams I think played for the U-21s whilst playing for Cemaes Ynys Mon.

Er, that's it. Welsh national team managers pay lip service to the league but no one ever gets picked from even the top teams. That's because the Nomads and TNS are on a par with the bottom of our champtionship / top end league one...bottom half of the league on a par with our League 2, or Lowland. It'd be like expecting Stevie Clarke to include players from Airdrie or Raith in his international squad.

Guest Moomintroll
Gary Lloyd of the (old) Barry Town was called up by managerial genius, Bobby Gould, in the late 90s.
Eifion Williams I think played for the U-21s whilst playing for Cemaes Ynys Mon.
Er, that's it. Welsh national team managers pay lip service to the league but no one ever gets picked from even the top teams. That's because the Nomads and TNS are on a par with the bottom of our champtionship / top end league one...bottom half of the league on a par with our League 2, or Lowland. It'd be like expecting Stevie Clarke to include players from Airdrie or Raith in his international squad.

The majority of CQN & TNS players are English as well.

16 minutes ago, AML67 said:

The South can’t be all that poor Alan as your own team only beat a depleted Newton Stewart side 4-0 at home in the Scottish Cup and that was against 10 men for 50 minutes ! They had two goalies , two sixteen year old kids and a thirty something striker that hadn't kicked a ball that Season on the bench so hardly had options to alter the contest did they ? Their playing budget is zero , it would be interesting to know what your Clubs is before you knock the South 

We put them back in their box M8.

I'm personally looking forward to the new WoS and the finalising of the line up in the EoS, as far as the juniors go.

There may be a few big names who refuse to move (Tayport perhaps the biggest) but it seems a bleak future awaits them outside of the pyramid. Not sure how sustainable the junior grade will be in a few years.

The relationship between the new WoS and the SoS leagues will also be interesting to see evolving. The SoS bar maybe Threave and Bonnyton don't seem interested in progressing to the LL so I can see a state of affairs where the SoS becomes a feeder league / subordinate to the new WoS. Clearly it will be in standard if the big junior names move over to populate the new set up.

11 minutes ago, nicotina said:

just watched mastermind

the guy who won specialsed  subject was

world football leagues populations & inter cross borders & tiers

That burnieman gets everywhere these days 🙄😂

2 minutes ago, nicotina said:

blame the school teachers for our demise 

they stopped extra curriculum sports in the 70s 

I agree! Don’t you agree too @The Mantis? Sure @newcastle broon will have something to say about the subject 🤭😂

5 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
12 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

The majority of CQN & TNS players are English as well.

Jamie Insall tearing up the league with CQN having been a Hibby reserve and successful East Fife loanee gives you an idea of the standard. CQN chock full of old bruisers on one last contract after a long career in National League North (George Horan, Michael Wilde, etc).

Amusing to see them duffing up Ten Nasty Scousers though. A genuinely horrible franchise club.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman