Jump to content
Burnie_man

Junior football, what is the future?

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

But that doesn't distinguish between SPFL and the regional leagues, as you have lots of part-time clubs and lower leagues to many people will mean Leagues One and Two.

That's why it will be so much easier to say "I support a semi-pro team at tier X in the Scottish pyramid", rather than "I support a junior team, but that's not kids, let me explain, it's complicated, you see it works like this........."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. Basically it's been an utterly farcical situation to have two parallel league structures in Scotland for so long where there's roughly similarly sized semi-professional clubs split across both grades. All the work that's gone into creating the pyramid structure has been surprisingly excellent but it doesn't hide the fact that, on a longer time scale, there's been a ludicrous amount of intransigence and parochialism on both sides across Scottish football when it comes to leagure structure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, glensmad said:

I hate the term "non league" with a passion, as in reality we are all playing in leagues.

Sitting reading my copy of the Non-League Paper and disagreeing with you ;)

...and you'll be having kittens at their insistance on calling the Conference Tier 1.

Edited by Junior Pub League

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, glensmad said:

That's why it will be so much easier to say "I support a semi-pro team at tier X in the Scottish pyramid", rather than "I support a junior team, but that's not kids, let me explain, it's complicated, you see it works like this........."

Something like " I support a team in the Scottish Pyramid East Region 1st Division Conference B, " The sponsors will be tripping over themselves in the queue for that opportunity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here we are in February 2020 when Gordon Parks writes that the "Pyramid scheme is ripping game apart and clubs are dying":
 

 

While in June 2018 he was writing:

"Scottish football won't move forward until we stop living in the past - Gordon Parks - Daily Record"

"Gordon believes it's time to focus on the future and stop looking back on glory nights of the past."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-football-wont-move-forward-12710905


Here is a message for Gordon (and his followers) with regard to the Pyramid Scheme - STOP LIVING IN THE PAST!

Edited by Pyramidic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was discussed yesterday, several pages back, however it won't surprise anyone to learn that he's a complete hypocrite.

Edited by Burnie_man

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marten said:

Not just people outside Scotland...

Some of whom make a living reporting on football...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fair point and I can understand why Talbot fans are a bit unsure about this situation. I have been critical about Talbot on here but from their point of view it's going to be quite some change. I personally expect that after some time of getting used to it, they will embrace the change and look forward to new challenges, but it's going to be a big change for them and the step for smaller clubs to move in an attempt to improve themselves is a bit easier. They have less to lose.
That's why I don't like to see some people attacking Talbot on here. But that works both ways, I've also seen some Talbot fans (and other fans, not just Talbot!) disrespecting other leagues & smaller clubs. Neither is helpful.


I agree and that’s why I tried to stress my post wasn’t to have a go at Talbot or their fans as they’re rightly proud of the accomplishments of their team on and off the park. However I can see why they’re reluctant to change and certainly won’t be leading the clubs to a WOSFL.

I fully expect Talbot to move if enough teams do as their board are clearly good at ensuring they do the right thing for the club and won’t want to be left behind to join in two years time.

Will they win things most years like now, no they won’t but I’m sure as our Yeovil friend highlights they can still have some great seasons where they win a league or a cup but it’ll be a different challenge to what they are comfortable with at the moment.

Whether any team stays or goes I’m sure there fans and board will be doing what they think is best for their club and hopefully everyone will wish them well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing not emphasised enough is the Tommy Sloan effect at Talbot. They don't splash the cash every year and sign big names. As a Lok fan, I don't see their incoming and look on with envy - but he makes a team out of them every single year and is on course for 20!! years in charge should he last til Nov 2023. I think Lok have had something like 10 managers in that time - the consistency on and off the park is a big part of the Talbot success story. Pre Tucker they were floundering in the inaugural West Super Premier.

Edited by cmontheloknow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

WHat about being sustainable in a Lowland League. Whos to say you wouldn't end up like linlithgow are now. Everyone so confident of Talbot stampeding everything based on cup ties. Cup football is different than a league. While I dont doubt they could get to Lowland League really quickly. Being in a league potentially in the future with Bo'ness, Bonnyrigg, Linlithgow, Camelon, Broxburn, Shire, BSC Glasgow etc won't be as easy as you think

It may have escaped your attention but Talbot have a very successful record as a Western Super League team, and have by far the best record of any Super League team in it by a country mile. I don't see teams from the East as being better than those we currently play. On the contrary given our record against the old Eastern Juniors over the last decade or so there would be no palpitations amongst the Talbot support should we end up playing them in league football.

You miss my point though. In my original post I said my concern would be if Talbot were successful and ended up playing in the SPFL, not when we would do so, and I've never said I think the route up the leagues would be easy. Why? Because there are clubs who will inevitably try to buy success, buy all the best players - like Irvine Meadow and Kilwinning did a few years back chasing glory. Faced with such scenarios Talbot would be content to tread water until it was an even playing field again. That's the whole reason am not overly keen on the whole idea, preferring the non league set up, or whatever anybody wants to call it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TFW said:

It may have escaped your attention but Talbot have a very successful record as a Western Super League team, and have by far the best record of any Super League team in it by a country mile. I don't see teams from the East as being better than those we currently play. On the contrary given our record against the old Eastern Juniors over the last decade or so there would be no palpitations amongst the Talbot support should we end up playing them in league football.

You miss my point though. In my original post I said my concern would be if Talbot were successful and ended up playing in the SPFL, not when we would do so, and I've never said I think the route up the leagues would be easy. Why? Because there are clubs who will inevitably try to buy success, buy all the best players - like Irvine Meadow and Kilwinning did a few years back chasing glory. Faced with such scenarios Talbot would be content to tread water until it was an even playing field again. That's the whole reason am not overly keen on the whole idea, preferring the non league set up, or whatever anybody wants to call it.

Again ur record against east teams is in cup competitions. Linlithgow had a great record against east teams look where they are now.

That's fine stay out the pyramid and Scottish cup then if you dont want to be it that's whole point of setting up the wosfl so you can stay junior or go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tell_me_more said:

Something like " I support a team in the Scottish Pyramid East Region 1st Division Conference B, " The sponsors will be tripping over themselves in the queue for that opportunity.

Tbf saying to a sponsor "We Play in the 6th Tier of Scottish Football and play in the Scottish Cup every season" is far more appealing that "We are a junior team, but you see that's just in reference to the level of football not the age of the players, but wez are bigger than senior teams I promise."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should mention that if/when this WoS get off the ground, Scotland will probably have the strongest 6th Tier in World football.

Edited by ArabAuslander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Should mention that if/when this WoS get off the ground, Scotland will probably have the strongest 6th Tier in World football.

Maybe we should set up the Tier 6 Champions League!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Should mention that if/when this WoS get off the ground, Scotland will probably have the strongest 6th Tier in World football.
England has some full time clubs in their 6th tier, do they not? And I'd be very, very, very surprised if our tier 6 was better than that in the Netherlands, Germany or France. Or Brazil, come to think of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Should mention that if/when this WoS get off the ground, Scotland will probably have the strongest 6th Tier in World football.

York, Chester, Kidderminster, Darlington, Hereford are all in tier 6 in one half of the country down south.

But yeah Little Mid Creetowndaleshire High School in the Dumfries pub league are best in the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GordonS said:
21 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:
Should mention that if/when this WoS get off the ground, Scotland will probably have the strongest 6th Tier in World football.

England has some full time clubs in their 6th tier, do they not? And I'd be very, very, very surprised if our tier 6 was better than that in the Netherlands, Germany or France. Or Brazil, come to think of it.

I'd be surprised if our sixth tier was stronger than San Marinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, glensmad said:

I hate the term "non league" with a passion, as in reality we are all playing in leagues.I

I agree it’s a shite expression. I believe in England it was originally non-League (note the capital) meaning outside the Football League.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

York, Chester, Kidderminster, Darlington, Hereford are all in tier 6 in one half of the country down south.

But yeah Little Mid Creetowndaleshire High School in the Dumfries pub league are best in the world.

They're Tier 5 surely?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...