Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

It is immaterial what kind of spirits Mr Petrie was in and what he wants to happen, he has no part in the decision making process relating to leagues in the pyramid or what teams make up those leagues.

The statement that is most relevant right now is the statement from the eos and LL. They appear concerned about the geographical integrity of their leagues.

Mr Petrie turned didn't understand how his own pyramid structure worked and had to be reminded of the process by representatives previously.

I like what he is doing in attending different meetings but he is only able to give his own personal opinion on things, not sfa directives (others believe he can and should).

Also, the south of Scotland clubs already have priority at tier 6, they are a tier 6 league.

7 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Don't think it's quite a demise. There's only a handful of clubs interested at best. That doesn't even mean they'd act on it.

The majority will carry on. Heston Rovers, as an example, have been tenants at Palmerston since 2013. Yet they've never implemented the extra bits & pieces to get licenced. They're probably just happy enough playing in a well organized local league. 

Yes.

10 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think a lot of SoS clubs would find it difficult meeting EoS level entry ground requirements if that is used for WoS as well and many would still prefer a more local format, so think the number of SoS applicants will be quite limited.

Heston wouldn't have a problem.

8,690 capacity and the tallest free standing floodlights in Scotland ;)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palmerston_Park

34 minutes ago, MonsterUnderTheBed said:

I can see teams from the SoS league applying for either the new WoSFL or the EosFL

Upper Annandale & Mid Annandale are bang on the motorway and currently have u20 teams in the EoSFL.

Lochmaben are only a few miles away from Lockerbie too.

Stranraer Res, Wigtown, Newton Stewart, Creetown & Threave all have reasonable access up the West coast.

Bonnyton & Caley Braves are already up that way.

Nithsdale Wanderers in Sanquhar are probably closer to most West junior clubs than teams from the SoS league.

That would only leave Lochar, Heston & Abbey Vale stuck in a no-mans land.

Interesting few months ahead.....

Majority will be happy playing locally.

Why introduce needless travel ?

I take your point re Mids and Uppers though, quicker to get to Lanarkshire up the A74(M) than Stranraer Res or a Newton-Creetown-Wig&B.

Sanquhar handy for Ayrshire, but not so much the rest of the west.

PS don't forget St Cuthberts ;)

20 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think a lot of SoS clubs would find it difficult meeting EoS level entry ground requirements if that is used for WoS as well and many would still prefer a more local format, so think the number of SoS applicants will be quite limited.

Who are you thinking of? Leith Athletic were playing at Meadowbank 3g before its demolition and are now at Peffermill's so that is setting the bar pretty low. We saw Syngenta rejected due to the changing rooms at Little Kerse being too far away. The vast majority of the South sides play in enclosed grounds. The only one I am thinking of immediately which might fall short is Uppers?

My understanding of how the first season of the WoSFL would work is that, regardless of how many teams join, all of them would be at tier 6 for season 2020/21.

If there are more than (say) 16 teams, then they would be split into equal conferences, and the top 'x' amount at the end of the season from each conference would form the tier 6 league for 2021/22, with the others below that at tier 7.

Am I correct ? If so, this "any team joining the WoSFL from the SoSFL should have priority at tier 6" is a red herring, as all teams will initially be at tier 6 anyway.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

21 minutes ago, glensmad said:

My understanding of how the first season of the WoSFL would work is that, regardless of how many teams join, all of them would be at tier 6 for season 2020/21.

If there are more than (say) 16 teams, then they would be split into equal conferences, and the top 'x' amount at the end of the season from each conference would form the tier 6 league for 2021/22, with the others below that at tier 7.

Am I correct ? If so, this "any team joining the WoSFL from the SoSFL should have priority at tier 6" is a red herring, as all teams will initially be at tier 6 anyway.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

That's the way I understand it, but that's entirely based on how the EoS handled things and it being applied to the WoS.

Think the mention of tier 6 is simply down to the fact there have been those that have mentioned a tiered format. Nobody knows what Petrie was responding to. He could very well have been asked if the WoS will be in tiered divisions or conferences, and where would a SoS club fit in to that if they applied.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

FWIW, at the 1958 World Cup there were 12 European teams from 27 in qualifying; in 1962 there were 10 from Europe from 30 in qualifying; in 1966 it was 10 from 31.

When we finally qualified in 1974 there were only 8 UEFA qualifiers (plus hosts West Germany) out of 32 in qualifying; in 1978 it was 10 from 32.

For the last World Cup there were 13 European qualifiers from 54 in qualification. That's only one more spot than was available in 1958.

I don't think it was any tougher to qualify in the 1960s than now. Many of the players from relatively important countries like Denmark weren't even full time. The Scottish league was very comfortably one of the 8 best leagues throughout the 60s even though many of our best players were based elsewhere. We underachieved in 1958, 1962, 1966 and 1970, and thinking that it matters that we won a friendly in 1967 is symptomatic of our failure to deliver on potential.

Let's also not forget that since then, the USSR, Yugoslavia & Czechoslovakia split up and Israel joined. German reunification is the only case of a member disappearing, so that means that there is now a lot more competition for the spots and the percentage of spots compared to the membership has gone down considerably. That and your points make it clear that it is now harder to qualify for Scotland.

9 hours ago, GordonS said:

We underachieved in 1958, 1962, 1966 and 1970, and thinking that it matters that we won a friendly in 1967 is symptomatic of our failure to deliver on potential.

What about Celtic winning the European Cup in 1967? That was a success...

2 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Who are you thinking of? Leith Athletic were playing at Meadowbank 3g before its demolition and are now at Peffermill's so that is setting the bar pretty low....

What gets accepted for existing members is not necessarily the same as what happens with new ones. Peebles for example would have a problem getting into the EoS as a new member.

Having said that I was a wee bit behind the times on some of the upgrades that have been happening in the SoS. No worse than the likes of Forth, Royal Albert, Port Glasgow and Bellshill for the most part judging from the Nonleague Scotland website.

Think Nithsdale would be very borderline though and they are one of the ones that would find the travel easiest.

All South West (Wigtownshire and Stewartry clubs) all have enclosed parks.  

Newton Stewart, Wigtown, Stranraer Res, Creetown, St Cuthbert, Threave Rovers.  All bar Creetown currently have a license, and as far as I can tell it is floodlights stopping them.  Whether or not they'll look to get them who knows?

I think again there is a lack of knowledge about us in the South and our facilities.  Most parks are enclosed and/or meet licensing standards.  There are a whole manner of mitigating factors that could be stopping clubs applying for licenses.

I wasn't at the meeting with Petrie, but have had an overview of discussions. Be keen to understand who Demon is too but not aware of any discussions between parties and/or attempts to join a West league.  

We are looking to again develop our facilities at Blairmount for our own needs and requirements and for our own ambitions in the South.  If a decision is to be made down the line on joining a West league or being part of a new structure, we'll certainly look in to what is best for us, the community and the league.  

We have a great set up where we are, communication with the powers that be down here are great and always kept well informed. 

It's exciting times ahead for all in the areas and for football in general. 

Edited by Hossy87

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What gets accepted for existing members is not necessarily the same as what happens with new ones. Peebles for example would have a problem getting into the EoS as a new member.

Having said that I was a wee bit behind the times on some of the upgrades that have been happening in the SoS. No worse than the likes of Forth, Royal Albert, Port Glasgow and Bellshill for the most part judging from the Nonleague Scotland website.

Think Nithsdale would be very borderline though and they are one of the ones that would find the travel easiest.

Main issue at Nithsdale would be fully enclosing the park.  For the most part it is fenced off, floodlights are already in place.  

In the EoS Forum it has been mentioned that Syngenta are no longer a tenant at Westfield Park. So the East Region at least has a club scrambling to organise a sutiable ground for next year.
I can confirm that Syngenta are no longer a ground let at Westfield park, the home of Dunipace Football Club.

The previous ground let arrangement came to an end in the last week.

17 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

I can confirm that Syngenta are no longer a ground let at Westfield park, the home of Dunipace Football Club.

The previous ground let arrangement came to an end in the last week.

Do you know where they are playing the rest of this season?

25 minutes ago, Marten said:

Do you know where they are playing the rest of this season?

Junior website says they are playing today at the Linlithgow Sports Centre that the whatever you call them version of LR play out of.

Also West Calder seem to be playing at the Tony Macaroni 

edit - Sauchie were due to play at Alloa but as soon as I posted I saw a notification saying its now been cancelled over travel concerns.

Edited by Junior Pub League

3 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Junior website says they are playing today at the Linlithgow Sports Centre that the whatever you call them version of LR play out of.

Also West Calder seem to be playing at the Tony Macaroni.

The Tony Macaroni is being well used then recently, as LTHV used it to play some of their games as well. I guess they must let West Calder / LTHV use it for a very low fee as I'd doubt either could afford a high rent.

Edited by Marten