Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Absolute Baws, so on that logic South Ayrshire teams should be in a SoSL rather than a West then? Its a West of Scotland league some of D&G is in the West of Scotland

Because they're in Dumfries and Galloway. If you start going by who's west of who and so on then you end up tying yourself in knots.

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Since there's a WOSFL now, and they've no excuses, have Glasgow University even bothered to put in a note of interest?

Until then can they finally be kept out of all the hypothetical scenarios.

WF wakey wakey !

All prospective applicants for the newly proposed  West of Scotland (pyramid) League, are at the "Expression of interest stage", and not yet  at the application stage. A few junior clubs have gone public with written statements of their interest, whilst others have done so by notifying/speaking to the SLL privately, because they/we are yet to make up their mind and (presumably ?) to consult with their fans/members, as appropriate.

Glasgow Uni has expressed an interest, now that the SJFA's "all in"  stance, has been rejected, and the newly proposed league has invited applications.

However, will GUFC apply to join, or not ?  This will be announced at the appropriate time, as the closing date is still 5 weeks away.

Of course, you are entitled to exclude them from any of your own "hypothetical scenarios", if you wish to do so. No problem with that.

Robert 

23 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

??

55 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I wish folk would stop citing the "South Challenge Cup" as if it's analogous to a national Junior Cup. It's a Lowland competition with next to no history or prestige.

The junior cup didnt have tradition when it started. Its tradition that's holding the game back. The junior cup is a west of Scotland competition almost now

16 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

I realise it's not analogous but it's the best we're going to have, so long as the Junior Cup is only open to SJFA members. Assuming all the south of Tay teams and say, a third of the West Region leaves, the Junior Cup will only contain around 92 clubs.

Whereas the South Challenge Cup will have around 112 without needing long trips north or replays. There will be more interest than there is now, with the east v west element introduced.

If you're not going to be heading to Elgin on a wet Tuesday night in November, there's no point in running it...

Everyone's a winner = impossible.

Can you suggest a better way out of the current Labyrinth while enabling the retention of everthing good that has been achieved?
TJ in my opinion has an awful lot to answer for given the mess that he has overseen but in my view there is no harm whatsoever in seeking a compromise which makes everyone a winner and enables the Pyramid to flourish.

Absolute Baws, so on that logic South Ayrshire teams should be in a SoSL rather than a West then? Its a West of Scotland league some of D&G is in the West of Scotland
In an ideal world, this is exactly how it should be, where the new West of Scotland League covers the entire Western half of the Lowlands and incorporates some of the best teams from the South of Scotland League, with the SoSL slotting in as a 7th or 8th tier feeder.

However, it appears to be the case that there's no appetite for that at the moment, so if the SoS is going to remain at Tier 6 it needs to have clear boundaries, and those would obviously be based on its long existing history as a Dumfries and Galloway league.

What about Kellos history of being a West of Scotland Junior club, just forget that? As previous Kello are a West team through history and geographically more than some other West teams. It's the SoSL not the D&G L so Kello will be quite happy in the West where they belong.

In an ideal world, this is exactly how it should be, where the new West of Scotland League covers the entire Western half of the Lowlands and incorporates some of the best teams from the South of Scotland League, with the SoSL slotting in as a 7th or 8th tier feeder.

However, it appears to be the case that there's no appetite for that at the moment, so if the SoS is going to remain at Tier 6 it needs to have clear boundaries, and those would obviously be based on its long existing history as a Dumfries and Galloway league.

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

This seems very detailed to be just a "scenario".

Do you know something ?

Anybody who has followed my occasional posts over the last couple of years will understand that I am very very pro-Pyramid. To clear up any misunderstanding I am not part of some SJFA conspiracy and know nothing of the inner workings of the SJFA and WRJFA (although I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at some of the recent management meetings). What I have been trying to preach is that compromise is always the best way forward if it can be achieved. In my view the WRJFA have one last chance over the next couple of weeks to adopt an "all-in" approach for the West Region as put forward in my scenario. It is the the last chance saloon. I do not think they will grasp that opportunity for one moment and it will be their loss as the West Region begins disintegrating and a new and more virile organisation is born.

If no attempt is made to save a competitive 63 club pyramid, it will in my view demonstrate what an inept and backward looking organisation the WRJFA has become. At the vey least hold an EGM and explore whether there is a desire to move together as a group. What is there to lose?

If nothing happens we will soon see the dominoes falling next month one by one as we did in the East.

4 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Anybody who has followed my occasional posts over the last couple of years will understand that I am very very pro-Pyramid. To clear up any misunderstanding I am not part of some SJFA conspiracy and know nothing of the inner workings of the SJFA and WRJFA (although I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at some of the recent management meetings). What I have been trying to preach is that compromise is always the best way forward if it can be achieved. In my view the WRJFA have one last chance over the next couple of weeks to adopt an "all-in" approach for the West Region as put forward in my scenario. It is the the last chance saloon. I do not think they will grasp that opportunity for one moment and it will be their loss as the West Region begins disintegrating and a new and more virile organisation is born.

If no attempt is made to save a competitive 63 club pyramid, it will in my view demonstrate what an inept and backward looking organisation the WRJFA has become. At the vey least hold an EGM and explore whether there is a desire to move together as a group. What is there to lose?

If nothing happens we will soon see the dominoes falling next month one by one as we did in the East.

If it's not going to happen why are you still posting about it? The WOS is happening.

45 minutes ago, Robert James said:

WF wakey wakey !

All prospective applicants for the newly proposed  West of Scotland (pyramid) League, are at the "Expression of interest stage", and not yet  at the application stage. A few junior clubs have gone public with written statements of their interest, whilst others have done so by notifying/speaking to the SLL privately, because they/we are yet to make up their mind and (presumably ?) to consult with their fans/members, as appropriate.

Glasgow Uni has expressed an interest, now that the SJFA's "all in"  stance, has been rejected, and the newly proposed league has invited applications.

However, will GUFC apply to join, or not ?  This will be announced at the appropriate time, as the closing date is still 5 weeks away.

Of course, you are entitled to exclude them from any of your own "hypothetical scenarios", if you wish to do so. No problem with that.

Robert

So you're all for clubs treating this process privately, and then outing them anyway.

I'll bow to your superior geographical knowlede, Just trying to point out the anomalies of classing Kello as a natural SoSL team when they're not, they have more right to being classed as a West team than many others.

Galloway is, Dumfriesshire (as was pre-1974) isn't.

6 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

To clear up any misunderstanding I am not part of some SJFA conspiracy and know nothing of the inner workings of the SJFA and WRJFA (although I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall at some of the recent management meetings).

To be fair, what you have posted runs very much contrary to that claim.

9 minutes ago, STRUTHERS said:

I'll bow to your superior geographical knowlede, Just trying to point out the anomalies of classing Kello as a natural SoSL team when they're not, they have more right to being classed as a West team than many others.

The South of Scotland League when it first formed in 1946 was for clubs in Wigtownshire, Kirkcudbrightside, Dumfriesshire and Ayrshire. Ayr United and Kilmarnock had teams in it for the first season. Girvan then joined in 1950.

Kello are a Dumfriesshire side, but the league was the Western League for a while and had Neilston in it.

Edited by cmontheloknow

2 hours ago, STRUTHERS said:

Why does everyone assume Kello would be a SoSL team when they are further North than Girvan and Craigmark and further West than most Lanarkshire teams?

Because if you want a hard border there are 2 options:
Line of Latitude. This  has some combination of Girvan, Craigmark, Maybole moving to SOS or alternatively Uppers, Nithsdale moving to WOS.
Local Authority Boundary. This has Kello moving to SOS.

Or you have a flexible boundary respecting geographic integrity but not exactly specified. This draws boundary between Kello / Nithsdale. 

Or no boundary at all N/S but just and E/W boundary between EOS and WOS. 

3 hours ago, Born To Run said:

I suspect it ties in to the recent change of wording on club licensing. The SFA made it clear that seeking to enter the pyramid was part of having one, and now Glasgow Uni’s excuse of no appropriate league to join is about to disappear.

…. the same applies to Girvan. Good to see them move too.