Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

In fairness, the EoS compromised a lot, which is what led to all this. Imagine they'd insisted on new members joining at the bottom.
If a critical mass of clubs don't move to the WoS then the current division between senior and juniors will actually get worse, as it will exist in the west where it has never really been much an issue. IMO a compromise approach will bring over the largest possible number of clubs, and once that gets over a certain level the rest will have no choice but to come too. There's a window right now to bring every WR club into the pyramid, and clumsy handling could see that window close.
Wouldn't you rather compromise a little, take a softer approach and get every WRSJFA club in the pyramid, than hold to some theoretical principle and only get a third of them?
This isn't just about the Juniors. If clubs want to remain Junior they should be allowed to do so, just like in the East.

3 minutes ago, Big Davy Boy said:

If West league starts I dont want to be in the junior cup, i want to be playing sides like Annan or gretna or boness in a nonleague cup.

Is their a proper nonleague cup just now?

Yes, there is a non-league cup for all senior clubs in the Lowland area which presumably the WOSFL would take part in: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019–20_South_Challenge_Cup

So you'll be playing all the WOSFL, SOSFL, EOSFL, and LL teams. (But not Annan unless they get relegated from the SPFL!)

9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

In fairness, the EoS compromised a lot, which is what led to all this. Imagine they'd insisted on new members joining at the bottom.

If a critical mass of clubs don't move to the WoS then the current division between senior and juniors will actually get worse, as it will exist in the west where it has never really been much an issue. IMO a compromise approach will bring over the largest possible number of clubs, and once that gets over a certain level the rest will have no choice but to come too. There's a window right now to bring every WR club into the pyramid, and clumsy handling could see that window close.

Wouldn't you rather compromise a little, take a softer approach and get every WRSJFA club in the pyramid, than hold to some theoretical principle and only get a third of them?

I don't see this as a compromise. I see this as forcing junior teams who don't want to join the pyramid and go senior to do it anyway.

It's not necessary in my opinion. The proposal on the table allows every team to make their own choice.

This is just more muddying of the waters and delaying tactics, in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I don't see this as a compromise. I see this as forcing junior teams who don't want to join the pyramid and go senior to do it anyway.

TBH is there much difference between half the clubs leaving to go senior:  leaving half junior or everyone getting shifted senior and half the clubs leaving to go back junior?

39 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

I would not wish to to move Kello Rovers to the SoSFL.

Disappointingly you have previously indicated (many posts ago) that Glasgow University are unlikely to be interested in the WoSFL / going senior. It is therefore unlikey to be a problem that will need to be faced.

Sorry, but that isn't what I said.

To recap, I said that GUFC would not join an SJFA West league  (if the juniors joined en bloc). I also said however, if a new/independent WoSL was created, it could be a different proposition, worth considering (without commitment at this stage).   

2 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

TBH is there much difference between half the clubs leaving to go senior:  leaving half junior or everyone getting shifted senior and half the clubs leaving to go back junior?

I don't think anybody has suggested that could happen.

If the clubs all move en masse to become senior, who said that half of them would then leave to go back junior ?

Just now, glensmad said:

I don't think anybody has suggested that could happen.

If the clubs all move en masse to become senior, who said that half of them would then leave to go back junior ?

"Half" was just an example. As you said with WoSFL accepting applicants it gives clubs that want to remain junior the chance to remain junior: which is a fair outcome. But that chance isn't entirely out of the window if the full West Region comes en masse. I don't think there would be anything stopping clubs from then leaving that set up to go "back" would there?

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

"Half" was just an example. As you said with WoSFL accepting applicants it gives clubs that want to remain junior the chance to remain junior: which is a fair outcome. But that chance isn't entirely out of the window if the full West Region comes en masse. I don't think there would be anything stopping clubs from then leaving that set up to go "back" would there?

I suppose not, but that would mean clubs having to move organisations twice when they didn't actually want to move even once. Very unnecessarily complicated.

Just leave the proposal as it is, let the clubs move who want to, and let the clubs stay who want to.

It really is that simple.

Edited by glensmad

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Exactly this. If Forfar, Montrose, Arbroath or Dundee were to complain about this now, when it doesn't affect them directly, and give reasonable arguments you would be more inclined to listen to them. If Brechin had raised these concerns officially at any point in the last five years they would have had the proper time to have them considered with due diligence. A club in League 2 in freefall suddenly demanding the whole structure of Scottish football changes at the last minute is pure jobby

Yeah especially Dundee they'll need be careful about relegation to the Highland League ;)

As for a new Non-League tournament, how about a new SFA Trophy. With all the Tier 5 teams coming in at the Last 64 phase.

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Also, if SFA (seniors) Glasgow University were to apply to join the West league, should they (in your opinion), also be an "exception" ?

Since there's a WOSFL now, and they've no excuses, have Glasgow University even bothered to put in a note of interest?

Until then can they finally be kept out of all the hypothetical scenarios.

1 hour ago, Burnie_man said:

We don't need compromise.  Compromise has got us exactly nowhere in the last 2 years.

A West of Scotland League provides the route to the Pyramid for any club that wants it  (Junior or non-Junior) and can be achieved for next season.

The WRJFA remains for those clubs who want to remain Junior, as is their right.

It really is that simple. 

The LL (or EoS) are not going to look good if, after the last few weeks, they hit reverse.

Exactly.

48 minutes ago, STRUTHERS said:

Why does everyone assume Kello would be a SoSL team when they are further North than Girvan and Craigmark and further West than most Lanarkshire teams?

Because they're in Dumfries and Galloway. If you start going by who's west of who and so on then you end up tying yourself in knots.

23 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The problem for clubs like Brechin isn't how far the games are from their town but their players.

Most players come from the central belt and it's not uncommon for teams to train in the central belt twice a week and meet players for away games at the ground. They only see Brechin in for home matches.

If suddenly player needs to head to Banff and Buchan every week they just won't attract those players.

I can see why from Brechins point of view they would do all they can to get around this.

Try not finishing bottom and/or avoid losing the play-off...

14 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

I wish folk would stop citing the "South Challenge Cup" as if it's analogous to a national Junior Cup. It's a Lowland competition with next to no history or prestige.

I realise it's not analogous but it's the best we're going to have, so long as the Junior Cup is only open to SJFA members. Assuming all the south of Tay teams and say, a third of the West Region leaves, the Junior Cup will only contain around 92 clubs.

Whereas the South Challenge Cup will have around 112 without needing long trips north or replays. There will be more interest than there is now, with the east v west element introduced.

21 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Why is everyone saying they are going to Elgin on a Tuesday night. Do they think they are going to get win the Top WOS league or the top EOS or SOS league and then win the playoff matches and then on top of that have the correct facilities/stadium to even get into the lowland league.  Then Elgin need to get relegated from Scottish division 2 in order for these teams to play Elgin in the Lowland league

All this argument about Elgin is just utter crap, Joke or no Joke

You're assuming Brechin get this boundary changed...