Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

14 minutes ago, Marten said:

Brechin will need to be training elsewhere (ideally in Brechin/Angus) and they will need an overhaul of their transfer policy, but being the southernmost HL club could give them a decent advantage. They can try to poach better players of the better Tayside juniors, some of these players won't look out of place in the HL at all. They can pick up players from Tayside SPFL clubs who are not good enough for the SFPL but could be good enough for the HL. And as you said, they can try to poach current HL players who live closer to Brechin then to wherever they are currently playing. They need to change their way of thinking, but I think they'd be in a much better place in the HL with not too bad of a chance to eventually challenge to come back up.

Angus clubs have something of an advantage in recruiting for the Highland League. They're sandwiched between the two big population centres in Aberdeen & Dundee. Compare that to the Moray clubs & Highland area they've got a greater talent pool to tap into. 

10 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

We don't need compromise.  Compromise has got us exactly nowhere in the last 2 years.

A West of Scotland League provides the route to the Pyramid for any club that wants it  (Junior or non-Junior) and can be achieved for next season.

The WRJFA remains for those clubs who want to remain Junior, as is their right.

It really is that simple. 

The LL (or EoS) are not going to look good if, after the last few weeks, they hit reverse.

There is no reverse being suggested just a booster to "turbo-charge" a new WoSFL senior league.

I would hope that LL/EoSFL firmly administer the new league at the outset.  Perhaps supported by any progressive administrators from the WRJFA that want to come on board for an exciting new journey.

I actually don't get what the point of this "scenario" is.

Currently if clubs don't want to join the pyramid and stay as junior clubs, they don't have to.

But under this "scenario", some of these clubs would be forced into the pyramid and effectively become senior clubs even if they vote against it at a WRSJFA EGM, if the majority of the clubs vote for the "scenario".

As Burnie says, the current proposal is clear cut. If you want to join, then apply. If you don't, nobody is forcing you in any direction you don't want to go down.

49 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

I possibly need to add some meat to the bones for this scenario is to be successfully implemented:

a) The SJFA would have no part whatsoever to play in running or overseeing the new WoSFL.

b) Committee members of the old/current WRJFA that wish to be part of running the WoSFL would need to be fully converted to the role that the Pyramid has to play in the progession of Scottish semi-professional football.

c) There would be no place for "old-school" acolytes of the Junior "we have always done it this way and I know better because I wear a blazer" mentality.

d) The 63 WRJFA clubs move over as a group to become senior clubs while keeping their current structure.

e) Geographical integrity is maintained with ERJFA clubs going to EoSFL and SoSFL clubs remaining in their current league - with one exception Bonnyton Thistle.

f) Bonnyton Thistle as a current Tier 6 senior club may play as a 17th club in the WoSFL Premier Tier 6 if they desire.

g) New clubs such as Drumchapel and "separate entity" Community Clubs and  Academy clubs may join at Tier 9.

h) All clubs may retain a link to their Junior roots by competing in the SJFA Junior Cup. Associate membership of the SJFA would be necessary to maintain this link.

i) The Junior Cup round dates are programmed by the SJFA to be assimilated within the Senior calendar.

CORRECTED POST SOURCE

"Geographical integrity" ?

In your summary above, are you (indirectly) intending to transfer Kello Rovers from the juniors to the SoSL , as they are located in Dumfries & Galloway,  as part of the geographical integrity you refer to?  (You have only quoted one "exception.", namely Bonnyton Thistle?)

Also, if SFA (seniors) Glasgow University were to apply to join the West league, should they (in your opinion), also be an "exception" ?

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I actually don't get what the point of this "scenario" is.

Currently if clubs don't want to join the pyramid and stay as junior clubs, they don't have to.

But under this "scenario", some of these clubs would be forced into the pyramid and effectively become senior clubs even if they vote against it at a WRSJFA EGM, if the majority of the clubs vote for the "scenario".

As Burnie says, the current proposal is clear cut. If you want to join, then apply. If you don't, nobody is forcing you in any direction you don't want to go down.

You know I hate agreeing with you but that's 100% accurate.

The breakdown in PWG, communication etc... has resulted in what we have now, an offer of a new WOS league open to anyone who fits in it, geographically etc..
Any junior, Amateur team and others are allowed to apply and see how they get on while the junior teams who do not want to leave can stay junior with their junior association. the pyramid is there for teams who want to progress and there is nothing wrong with that and the juniors can stay in their own association knowing they cant be relegated from the bottom division and the winners of the top divisions know they will stay there next year to do it all again as there is no promotion beyond their top league.

5 minutes ago, Robert James said:

CORRECTED POST SOURCE

"Geographical integrity" ?

In your summary above, are you (indirectly) intending to transfer Kello Rovers from the juniors to the SoSL , as they are located in Dumfries & Galloway,  as part of the geographical integrity you refer to?  (You have only quoted one "exception.", namely Bonnyton Thistle?)

Also, if SFA (seniors) Glasgow University were to apply to join the West league, should they (in your opinion), also be an "exception" ?

I would not wish to to move Kello Rovers to the SoSFL.

Disappointingly you have previously indicated (many posts ago) that Glasgow University are unlikely to be interested in the WoSFL / going senior. It is therefore unlikey to be a problem that will need to be faced.

There is no reverse being suggested just a booster to "turbo-charge" a new WoSFL senior league.
I would hope that LL/EoSFL firmly administer the new league at the outset.  Perhaps supported by any progressive administrators from the WRJFA that want to come on board for an exciting new journey.
They don't need to, just continue what they are doing with the WoSFL and give clubs the choice to join or not to join.

Disappointingly you have previously indicated (many posts ago) that Glasgow University are unlikely to be interested in the WoSFL / going senior. It is therefore unlikey to be a problem that will need to be faced.
They are interested.

2 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
5 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

They are interested.

Good news. But would like to see a Twitter Feed or Facebook confirmation.

1 minute ago, Pyramidic said:

Good news. But would like to see a Twitter Feed or Facebook confirmation.

I suspect it ties in to the recent change of wording on club licensing. The SFA made it clear that seeking to enter the pyramid was part of having one, and now Glasgow Uni’s excuse of no appropriate league to join is about to disappear.

2 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

b) Committee members of the old/current WRJFA that wish to be part of running the WoSFL would need to be fully converted to the role that the Pyramid has to play in the progession of Scottish semi-professional football.

Suggest that electro-shock aversion therapy like in A Clockwork Orange? 

Force them to watch re-runs of Penicuik and Broxburn in the Scottish Cup. Tranent putting up floodlights. Kelty at the top of the LL. Bonnyrigg v Hibs.  And that.

Edited by Che Dail

52 minutes ago, Marten said:

Brechin will need to be training elsewhere (ideally in Brechin/Angus) and they will need an overhaul of their transfer policy, but being the southernmost HL club could give them a decent advantage. They can try to poach better players of the better Tayside juniors, some of these players won't look out of place in the HL at all. They can pick up players from Tayside SPFL clubs who are not good enough for the SFPL but could be good enough for the HL. And as you said, they can try to poach current HL players who live closer to Brechin then to wherever they are currently playing. They need to change their way of thinking, but I think they'd be in a much better place in the HL with not too bad of a chance to eventually challenge to come back up.

Could also argue that commercially it may actually be a better move for Brechin to go into the HL v LL. Given all the change likely to be happening in the LL catchment over the next few seasons, Brechin dropping into the HL even allowing for the possible confirmation North Juniors/NCL will become a feeder to the HL, will be a bigger news story and get more press attention than them dropping into the LL where it could well be lost in all the noise of everything else going on in that catchment. Arguably the more media attention the y get the greater commercial opportunity that could create for them. Yes home fan numbers will drop compared to what they currently get, but will they drop more with them going into the HL than LL, I don't see why. Plus most HL clubs tend to bring larger away supports than most current LL clubs so that may actually help keep their home gates higher than going in to the LL. Like you say they need to start thinking differently about the drop into the HL. 

More than that if Brechin go into the LL: they will be VERY lucky to get back out with the West Regions teams coming in and the best of the former East Region teams already making their way into the LL. I'd back them to do better against HL sides than LL sides now and in the future.

TBH it feels like their board are taking the considerations of their current players above their own best interests and the wishes of their fans (but I admit to saying that without knowing what their fans preference would be)

51 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

We don't need compromise.  Compromise has got us exactly nowhere in the last 2 years.

In fairness, the EoS compromised a lot, which is what led to all this. Imagine they'd insisted on new members joining at the bottom.

If a critical mass of clubs don't move to the WoS then the current division between senior and juniors will actually get worse, as it will exist in the west where it has never really been much an issue. IMO a compromise approach will bring over the largest possible number of clubs, and once that gets over a certain level the rest will have no choice but to come too. There's a window right now to bring every WR club into the pyramid, and clumsy handling could see that window close.

Wouldn't you rather compromise a little, take a softer approach and get every WRSJFA club in the pyramid, than hold to some theoretical principle and only get a third of them?