Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Have seen a fair number of SoSL clubs over the years. Unfortunately, the likes of Lincluden Colts disappeared before my time but I understand they were a very good team indeed. Not just the Dumfries area, Kirkconnel Amateurs used to be another excellent side to watch, and could pull in bigger crowds than neighbours Kello Rovers on their day. Going back further, also from Kirkconnel, Young's Painters were also a very handy outfit.

A good number of years ago, Annan, Dalbeattie and Threave Rovers all plied their trade in the EoSL, and more than held their own. Think Threave won it on one occasion? Travelling costs determined that both Dalbeattie amd Threave would eventually come back to the SoSL. Both clubs are relatively well supported, and the local derby game can usually pull a 200 plus crowd.

These things are cyclical though, and I suppose with time there is absolutely no reason why the SoSL could not become more competitive again.

Have seen a fair number of SoSL clubs over the years. Unfortunately, the likes of Lincluden Colts disappeared before my time but I understand they were a very good team indeed. Not just the Dumfries area, Kirkconnel Amateurs used to be another excellent side to watch, and could pull in bigger crowds than neighbours Kello Rovers on their day. Going back further, also from Kirkconnel, Young's Painters were also a very handy outfit.
A good number of years ago, Annan, Dalbeattie and Threave Rovers all plied their trade in the EoSL, and more than held their own. Think Threave won it on one occasion? Travelling costs determined that both Dalbeattie amd Threave would eventually come back to the SoSL. Both clubs are relatively well supported, and the local derby game can usually pull a 200 plus crowd.
These things are cyclical though, and I suppose with time there is absolutely no reason why the SoSL could not become more competitive again.
Threave's highest EOS finish was 3rd in 03-04 from what I can see

26 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
35 minutes ago, TFW said:

Threave's highest EOS finish was 3rd in 03-04 from what I can see

Threave finished 3rd twice. Dalbeattie managed a 2nd place finish. Gretna 2008 only had a couple of years in the EoS Premier but got to 4th one year. Annan in their pre-SFL days were able to win it four times.

36 minutes ago, TFW said:

How about Whithorn FC who played at St John's Park ?   They were SFA Members during the 1960's .

Of course they are, they have a vested interest. The national 'pro' league is for vanity - how are half these clubs progressing themselves or the game?

And what have those clubs delivered? Mediocrity.

Where is the talent? Why do we not send players to Barca / Real Madrid/ Bayern Munich / AC Milan?

Raith Rovers for example are prepared to risk the future of the club gambling on full-time status to win promotion... for what?? Only 3% of the town's population go to home games (which slightly below average for L2 clubs). Where is the demand from people?

Cowdenbeath is another one: not a viable business, not sustainable.

Who are they serving, why are they doing it, and why would anyone want to follow their lead?  

Raith are not full time, we operate a hybrid system of F/T and P/T as we cut costs after going down and further cuts the following seasons. As for producing players we’ve a number of talented youngsters at the moment as we’ve had to use our youth players to again cut costs. Not quite selling to Barca or Real but we’ve just sold our 17 year old striker to Fulham who could be EPL next season. We lost Scotland international Bates to Rangers then Hamburg, I’d expect us to also sell on Hendry to a good team and Tait looks a real prospect. As for our support we have bigger gates than Alloa, Arbroath, Queens, Morton and slightly less than Ayr who have much larger away supports visiting them. Further cost cutting will be made if we fail to be promoted again this season.

At the East Region Junior Football Association meeting on Tuesday 18th February, Thornton Hibs indicated that we would be resigning from the association at the end of the current season with the intention to apply to join the East of Scotland Football League for the beginning of next season (2020/21).

Thornton Hibs has been a member of the Scottish Junior Football Association since our move to the Juniors in 1935, and it is with somewhat of a heavy heart that the club has made this decision at this time. We, as a club, have been a strong advocate of more local football due to our particular circumstances and preference, but have supported the ERJFA’s position during the break-up of the East Region over the past couple of years based on information provided to the club.

With the strong likelihood that additional local teams would be making an application to the East of Scotland Football League, we felt that the timing was right for Thornton Hibs to make the same move, particularly if this meant a more regionalised set-up and an opportunity to renew our more traditional rivalries within the SFA pyramid system.

Those that know our home ground of Memorial Park will perhaps appreciate the challenges to be faced as we attempt to meet any conditions of our application. We plan to work closely with all agencies and stakeholders in an effort to overcome these particular challenges in an appropriate timescale.

I know I only pop in/out of the thread with ma comments and like to make a wee joke from time to time that can derail things but this is serious: super-duper-special serious.

I can't access twitter at work so every time another junior team mentions anything positive about moving to the pyramid or, like Thornton above, outright announce they're off to the land of milk and honey I need someone, anyone, to post the heads gone from that rocket on twitter who keeps greetin' about traitors to the grade.

Will repay in greenies.

That last paragraph is interesting: "Those that know our home ground of Memorial Park will perhaps appreciate the challenges to be faced as we attempt to meet any conditions of our application. We plan to work closely with all agencies and stakeholders in an effort to overcome these particular challenges in an appropriate timescale". That clearly means work is going on to enclose the ground.

Edited by Marten

1 minute ago, Marten said:

That last paragraph is interesting: "Those that know our home ground of Memorial Park will perhaps appreciate the challenges to be faced as we attempt to meet any conditions of our application. We plan to work closely with all agencies and stakeholders in an effort to overcome these particular challenges in an appropriate timescale". That clearly means work is going on to enclose the ground.

Peebles Rovers and Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts comes to mind.  Thornton should not be treated differently from these two clubs in my view.

2 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Peebles Rovers and Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts comes to mind.  Thornton should not be treated differently from these two clubs in my view.

Looking at their statement, I'd guess they've already discussed that with the EoSFL.

I know I only pop in/out of the thread with ma comments and like to make a wee joke from time to time that can derail things but this is serious: super-duper-special serious.

I can't access twitter at work so every time another junior team mentions anything positive about moving to the pyramid or, like Thornton above, outright announce they're off to the land of milk and honey I need someone, anyone, to post the heads gone from that rocket on twitter who keeps greetin' about traitors to the grade.

Will repay in greenies.

I thought it was the land of Silk and Money (was it Isa that used to always say that)

Think it's Rosyth that are the other near certainty based on a recent tweet criticising the Gordon Parks article in the Sunday Mail.

I’d be surprised if we don’t see every Fife team move this summer. The only one I can see staying Junior is Tayport as they’ve a rivalry with the Tayside teams. Though if their board looks at it logically if the ERJFA south of Tay boundary disintegrates and half the WRJFA leave how long will it be before the Tayside teams are part of the pyramid and then they’d still be the wrong side of the boundary.