Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

15 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Yes. There is also geographical overlap - the SoS is a small section of WoS territory. Integrate the two leagues and let The Dog & Duck sides from farming villages in Dumfries compete against Talbot, Pollok, Kilwinning etc. They'll soon enough find their appropriate level.

Laughable.

Auchinleck (village), population 3,512.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auchinleck

Castle Douglas, town, population 4,174.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Douglas

You're a stranger to fact, a lover of fiction.

Edited by Doonhamer1969

10 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Some of the west juniors might find it difficult to meet the licensing standards of the SoSL league. I'm thinking about the haybale permieter and number of spectators per Tory placards rules.

Separate toilets for sheep dogs too

Yes. There is also geographical overlap - the SoS is a small section of WoS territory. Integrate the two leagues and let The Dog & Duck sides from farming villages in Dumfries compete against Talbot, Pollok, Kilwinning etc. They'll soon enough find their appropriate level.

Kilwinning and Lok will be playing in the proposed Northern Conferences, only Talbot will be initially in the southern conference. Its to keep things local.

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

38% of East Renfrewshire votes Tory, so let's give them as much stick for balance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_East_Renfrewshire_Council_election

No. Because they don't actually vote in Tories. 38% of the population of East Renfrewshire being mutants surprises no one. The greater population doing enough to stop them doing damage saves them from quite as much abuse.

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

No. Because they don't actually vote in Tories. 38% of the population of East Renfrewshire being mutants surprises no one. The greater population doing enough to stop them doing damage saves them from quite as much abuse.

The last thing we need on this thread is introducing politics into the mix.

10 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

11 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

They do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastwood_(Scottish_Parliament_constituency)

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

Whats the problem with having a South of Scotland League ?

Aside from the obvious Tory issues...

...I don't have a problem with it. The weird push for equality in area/population in different leagues at the same tier is an argument that comes up but not one I agree with. The idea, to me, for any league system should be to encourage as many teams/players to play as possible. In certain areas where population density/travel options are an issue it makes sense to make allowances. I don't see, for a second, what harm having the SoS league on a par with the EoS and Wos league does to anyone else. If the SoS finds itself in a position where it has to drop down the pyramid for its own benefit it will choose to do so.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

There's no problem with it. It was more the fact that you think there being four points of a compass is a good argument for having it.

The South is a large geographical area, if sparsely populated (apart from Dumfries).

Why shouldnt 14% fo Scotland's land area have a separate geographical league ?

My point about 4 compass points is that it keeps things simple. Why complicate matters ?

1 hour ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Mmm.

'Alignment with East and West'...you do know there are 4 points on a compass ?

I'll make it simple.

There's an East of Scotland League.

Next season there will be a West of Scotland League.

North juniors /NCL feeding in to the HL could be a North of Scotland League.

Therefore, there needs to be  South of Scotland League.

Oh, look, we already have one. Isnt that really handy ?

Yep.

May as well get this off ma fecking chest
as most know I've been following this post for the past few years and other medium and chatting to a lot of people, fans, and committee men chairmen of different clubs and found it all varying in views and ideas.

Right now, I hope there is a WOS that starts up next year, which if does happen is fantastic for the pyramid structure and Scottish football, (I believe).
This is a huge thing for our part time football and will speed the whole country up in its progression.
I'm sure there will be a few East junior teams who will join the EOS and thus the east region juniors will become weaker and that in turn will make more leave in the future. The same will apply to the West region juniors.  I'm not saying this out of spite as I follow the juniors and am involved with youth football.
In regards to the SOS, I haven't seen many teams consistently so I cannot gauge how good the standard is but in general the view of most on here is that the standard is low compared to the west juniors.  Right now if the WOS does start up then it will be in tier 6 alongside EOS top division and the SOS. A lot of chat that the SOS should be lower down etc... But right now, I'm more concerned about getting the WOS started and in the years to come all leagues including the SOS can be looked at together and positively to see what the best structure is.
I believe that in the Scottish division 2 there should be a straight relegation of the bottom team, No exception. With the play off of the HL winners and LL winners will get the automatic promotion place and the runner up will play the 2nd bottom league 2 side for the playoff to get to league 2.  Every other league below this should be 2 up 2 down with 3rd bottom and 3rd top play off so that teams lower down can always see the chance of progression earlier as if it was only one up one down some teams may thing is years and years before they get a chance.

I was wanting all the juniors teams ot go ALL-IN but know this wouldn't happen but it has brought to light the standard of organization of the junior association and I'm glad they won’t be in charge as I can see it being a stalwart to the progression of many of the teams.  One thing I will say, there's a  lot of chat previously about juniors joining the seniors but that is it, if the junior grade joins the seniors then there are junior no more, the history is in the past and something to look back on and always cherish as I know I do but it’s a new dawn and a lot of work has been going on and will continue until we all, hopefully get it right.

There is change coming and there will be losers and there will be winners out of this, some junior teams might fold and some junior teams might become bigger once they realize their potential.  there's a lot of hearsay going on with teams going to this league and that league and what will happen, getting humped more or winning more games but all this is hypothetical, why, because if a team leaves, for example the SOS league to the new WOS they COULD be opening up more sponsorship opportunities alone which will bring in more crowds and more money. The same of every junior teams that joins the senior league. We can’t be certain how it will work for them as again, more opportunities regarding sponsorship, more players wanting to go to them because they are a senior team now and not a junior team.

The possibilities are endless.
Here's an idea on cups, I don't mind being shot down on this 
There could be a Scottish cup non league cup played amongst all the non league teams, from lowland - Highland league down, (licensed clubs can also participate in the professional Scottish cup as well)

And you could have an east of Scotland cup with all teams in the east and include the highland league, (or if a new north west league started).
And you could have a WOS cup including the SOS teams.  I know Highland might have their own and so would SOS but it would be much more interesting as regional cups. Also each association can have the standard 3 domestic cups to play for as it per usual in all youth football. Sponsorship possibilities again.

Then there is the development league, right now there are junior teams arranging this as we speak, looking into their youth growth and intend to act on it and I see this as a huge thing for many of these teams progression and their future.

I'm sure this post will be dissected  by a few but I worked nightshirt and started typing so not all my views are added but as most know, I can elaborate this, ffs please noooo I hear the cries.

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread
dded the part about trhe Scottish and regional cups

28 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Laughable.

Auchinleck (village), population 3,512.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auchinleck

Castle Douglas, town, population 4,174.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Douglas

You're a stranger to fact, a lover of fiction.

Talbot have a fanbase all over East Ayrshire, not just in the Metropolis itself. It also has a good number of fans who regularly travel up from Dumfries and Galloway. There's a fairly healthy Dalbeattie Branch (I went with them to Tynecastle last season) and I know of at least 5 regular supporters from Dumfries. Travelling north you have me in Thornhill, a small number in Sanquhar, ditto Kirkconnel. Sizeable support live in Cumnock as well. North and West of the village, Coylton, Annbank, Mauchline and up to Kilmarnock you'll find Talbot fans in good numbers, Take in our diaspora globally..... 

1 hour ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Only one club and one reserve team could move to the WoS, dont think it weakens it that much.

Still 12 clubs, plus one reserve team. Also the likelihood that Dalbeattie or Gretna could get relegated into it in the next couple of years, so 14 teams is fine.

So Wigtown & Bladnoch have zero possibility of becoming the next Tarff Rovers? Stranraer looking likely for the bottom tier and trying to stay in the SPFL won't fold their reserves for the 5th time?

Then you've had Threave and Dalbeattie leave twice in the past and Gretna 2008 who have never played there before. Long term do you think they want to be playing for the same 4-5 cups against the same 12-14 teams?

1 hour ago, Gordon EF said:

Personally, I'd like to see us re-jig the SPFL structure into three larger leagues but that's mostly because I find 10 team leagues dull.

Whether we have 42 clubs in 4 tiers or 3 tiers isn't really materially different is it? League size aside, what real arguments are there for or against having one extra or one less 'national' tier?

10 team leagues are dull - SPL1 and SPL2 clubs playing each other 4 times a season... what for?

I think:

T1=12;

T2 =14 (or 16) Full time professional clubs: 26 best v best 

then

T3 = 64 Licensed part-time and semi-pro clubs split regionally: 32 HL (16 north & 16 South) and 32 LL (16 west & 16 East) 

Then several regional semi-pro / amateur clubs below that, in order:  A pyramid.

In terms of the financial split - Last season a £23.7m pot was shared among 42 professional clubs - that needn't change.  The top 26 received £22.8m, leaving the remaining 16 with just short of £1m.   In my proposal, that translates as £500k to HL and £500k to LL clubs, at Tier 3. 

Those clubs are then in 16 team leagues all with opportunity to go up, and fluid movement down.  Still a sizeable financial incentive to finish high up the league, however they decide to allocate the prize money (incrementally, from top to bottom, or top 6, whatever suits). 

In terms of 'Status', this is down to how T3 is marketed and presented and commercialized.

So to illustrate, The LL at T3 could look like:

West

Dumbarton

Clyde

Stranraer

Stirling Albion

Annan

Queen’s Park

Albion Rovers

BSC Glasgow

Caley Braves

Cumbernauld Colts

University of Stirling

Gretna

(Clydebank)

(Kilwinning)

(Pollok)

(Auchinleck)

East: 

Edinburgh City

Stenhousemuir

Cowdenbeath

Kelty Hearts

Bonnyrigg Rose

East Stirlingshire

Civil Service Strollers

The Spartans

Berwick Rangers

Gala Fairydean Rovers

Vale of Leithen

Edinburgh University

Bo’ness United

Broxburn Athletic

Penicuik Athletic

Linlithgow Rose

I think that's decent.  (currently) unlicensed clubs in brackets.

Edited by Che Dail