Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

11 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The point is that the WOSFL weakens the SoS by default. That's why there might be clubs looking to join the WOSFL now rather than become be part of a rump leak that gets weaker year on year.

They're only 13 real clubs now as it is.

Not if it is decided that they wont accept clubs in the SoS area.  "Geographical intergrity"

12 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The point is that the WOSFL weakens the SoS by default. That's why there might be clubs looking to join the WOSFL now rather than become be part of a rump leak that gets weaker year on year.

They're only 13 real clubs now as it is.

Only one club and one reserve team could move to the WoS, dont think it weakens it that much.

Still 12 clubs, plus one reserve team. Also the likelihood that Dalbeattie or Gretna could get relegated into it in the next couple of years, so 14 teams is fine.

12 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

It's silly to compare with England yes. Geography and population are considerably different.

But given the shite state of Scotland's national team for many years, having a look at what other countries of similar size and population are doing is exactly what we should be doing IMO.

Many other country's pyramids seem to be more pyramid-shaped. We don't have to copy exactly, just see if there's something we have missed or if something works well which we could possibly do.

Croatia would be a good place to start.

As far as I'm lead to believe in Croatia, every coach even at grassroots football and upwards is employed by the national association to coach  and that is a country smaller than ours and look at their success. Then obviously you get to  a level of professional teams who then employ a coach to take charge of their team

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

33 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

I'm not seeing much difference between League One North, Tier 3 , promoting into the Championship, with less travelling time/ costs, and League One,Tier 3 promoting into the Championship, with more travelling /time costs, other than......

Less costs for clubs.

There's not a massive quality difference between Raith and Brechin, or Airdrie and Albion Rovers, so putting those 20 clubs at the same tier wouldnt lead to cricket scores.

Travelling time / cost is an argument that's there if people want to make it. It's not really related to the point I was replying to though. I highly doubt it was the potentially marginally higher costs that are putting clubs in financial difficulty. Especially more central clubs like Raith and Cowdenbeath who could actually face slightly more travelling costs in a regional league, depending on which teams are where.

15 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Simply making the point that , as ive said previously, the SoS isnt as bad a league as some think it is.

The problem is we will never find out if Dumfries and Galloway gets to retain its own league at tier 6 with no relegation or alignment with East or West. All to please Hestonvale Warriors and their 18 sheep herder following.

11 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

3 tiers is plenty for Scotland.

So either 3 larger leagues, as you say, or regionalised Tier 3.

Personally, I'd like to see us re-jig the SPFL structure into three larger leagues but that's mostly because I find 10 team leagues dull.

Whether we have 42 clubs in 4 tiers or 3 tiers isn't really materially different is it? League size aside, what real arguments are there for or against having one extra or one less 'national' tier?

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

The problem is we will never find out if Dumfries and Galloway gets to retain its own league at tier 6 with no relegation or alignment with East or West. All to please Hestonvale Warriors and their 18 sheep herder following.

Mmm.

'Alignment with East and West'...you do know there are 4 points on a compass ?

I'll make it simple.

There's an East of Scotland League.

Next season there will be a West of Scotland League.

North juniors /NCL feeding in to the HL could be a North of Scotland League.

Therefore, there needs to be  South of Scotland League.

Oh, look, we already have one. Isnt that really handy ?

Yep.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

The SoSL at tier 6 is going to become a bit of a weird anomaly once the WoSL gets up and going. Realistically it makes sense to me to either practically retain it as it is as some 'South' feeder to a particular level of the WoSL or merge it completely into the WoSL. I can't imagine the bigger SoS clubs would rather go into the current SoS setup rather than a WoSL premier league.

3 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Mmm.

'Alignment with East and West'...you do know there are 4 points on a compass ?

I'll make it simple.

There's an East of Scotland League.

Next season there will be a West of Scotland League.

North juniors /NCL feeding in to the HL could be a North of Scotland League.

Therefore, there needs to be  South of Scotland League.

Oh, look, we already have one. Isnt that really handy ?

Yep.

I was taking your arguments reltively seriously.... up until now.

1 minute ago, Gordon EF said:

The SoSL at tier 6 is going to become a bit of a weird anomaly once the WoSL gets up and going. Realistically it makes sense to me to either practically retain it as it is as some 'South' feeder to a particular level of the WoSL or merge it completely into the WoSL. I can't imagine the bigger SoS clubs would rather go into the current SoS setup rather than a WoSL premier league.

Yes. There is also geographical overlap - the SoS is a small section of WoS territory. Integrate the two leagues and let The Dog & Duck sides from farming villages in Dumfries compete against Talbot, Pollok, Kilwinning etc. They'll soon enough find their appropriate level.

1 hour ago, Junior Pub League said:

He's making a strawman argument that has no basis and its quite funny when you know the agenda he's trying push.

Whit? Baffled by this - what agenda do you think I'm trying to push?

It is a genuine personal opinion based on what I see as a move to improve things for the greater good.

A drive to emulate other successful countries, a serious effort to reduce needless travel, and placing greater emphasis on development at grassroots level.   

You are free to disagree, that's fine - but I'm not sure why you keep referring to it as a 'straw man' argument(?)

Edited by Che Dail

2 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Personally, I'd like to see us re-jig the SPFL structure into three larger leagues but that's mostly because I find 10 team leagues dull.

Whether we have 42 clubs in 4 tiers or 3 tiers isn't really materially different is it? League size aside, what real arguments are there for or against having one extra or one less 'national' tier?

I just feel 4 tiers is too much for a small country like Scotland.

3 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Yes. There is also geographical overlap - the SoS is a small section of WoS territory. Integrate the two leagues and let The Dog & Duck sides from farming villages in Dumfries compete against Talbot, Pollok, Kilwinning etc. They'll soon enough find their appropriate level.

Some of the west juniors might find it difficult to meet the licensing standards of the SoSL league. I'm thinking about the haybale permieter and number of spectators per Tory placards rules.

8 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

It should probably drop to Tier 7 eventually, as i have previously said, due to the quality of the teams.

Either that, or its expands geographically to cover, say, South Ayrshire etc. possibly east wards to be come a genuine 'All of the South of Scotland League', but that probably just unnecessarily complicates matters.

Just dont like the idea of the South being 'eradicated' from the national set up.

Ok, juniors have East, West and South, but thats because there are no junior clubs in D&G and the Scottish Borders.

30 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

I think you may , sadly, have to say 'geographical integrity' several dozen/hundred times before some folk get it.

People are getting way ahead of themselves.

The LL/EoS are helping set-up a West of Scotland League.  They're not looking to swallow-up other leagues or steal clubs from other area's, they just want to provide a route into the Pyramid that is currently difficult for clubs in the west to access.  I expect they will set geographical guidelines so clubs know where they stand.

I think the future of the SoS does rest with some form of link-up with the WoS in future, but as far as I am aware that is not the intention for now, it's simply to get the WoS up and running and not over complicate matters.

5 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Some of the west juniors might find it difficult to meet the licensing standards of the SoSL league. I'm thinking about the haybale permieter and number of spectators per Tory placards rules.

That old wives story....

63% of D&G doesnt vote Tory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Dumfries_and_Galloway_Council_election