Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, theesel1994 said:

Maybe they think they're not going to go up to Lowland League anyway and looking at the clubs that could be in WoSL they think there might be better crowds?

south-league.jpg

Yeah sorry, I didn't expand my post.
That's the only reason why any team would leave the SOS to join a new WOS with the potential of bigger crows home and away

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I think it’s abit silly really to be comparing our league structure to that of others, if your not looking fully into the details then it’s very easy to draw up odd conclusions. One of the worst(and yet most common) is companion to England.  

It's silly to compare with England yes. Geography and population are considerably different.

But given the shite state of Scotland's national team for many years, having a look at what other countries of similar size and population are doing is exactly what we should be doing IMO.

Many other country's pyramids seem to be more pyramid-shaped. We don't have to copy exactly, just see if there's something we have missed or if something works well which we could possibly do.

Croatia would be a good place to start.

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

As usual Scotland just copied England in that regard, thinking it was trendy and not actually realising the reason that England brought in those names. The 2nd tier in England was called the "Championship" because it was the top tier administered by the English Football League, below the old "Premiership" which was a separate company altogether under the English FA.

That wasn't the case in Scotland when we stupidly copied the names, and then the West Region juniors did likewise which was cringeworthy in my opinion.

Having the 3rd and 4th tiers of any league system called "League 1" and "League 2" is just stupid, in my opinion.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time seen you have a rant over this mate , does your bin in doesn't it :)

Agree 100% find it hilarious and obnoxious at same time.

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

As usual Scotland just copied England in that regard, thinking it was trendy and not actually realising the reason that England brought in those names. The 2nd tier in England was called the "Championship" because it was the top tier administered by the English Football League, below the old "Premiership" which was a separate company altogether under the English FA.

That wasn't the case in Scotland when we stupidly copied the names, and then the West Region juniors did likewise which was cringeworthy in my opinion.

Having the 3rd and 4th tiers of any league system called "League 1" and "League 2" is just stupid, in my opinion.

This is the 2nd or 3rd time seen you have a rant over this mate , does your bin in doesn't it :)

Agree 100% find it hilarious and obnoxious at same time.

47 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is it expected that there will be applications from reserve teams higher up the pyramid, or is there a rule that would prevent it?

As far as I'm aware there are only two pyramid leagues that have rules preventing reserves, the SPFL & Lowland league.

Now just because there's no rule doesn't mean reserves have to be accepted if they apply. ICT reserves were rejected on applying to the Highland League last summer. Selkirk reserves were rejected by the EoS a few years ago.

Stirling Uni reserves are more of a hangover from the creation of the Lowland. It's really just the SoS that's accepted a few and that's probably down to keeping the league a decent size.

6 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Yeah sorry, I didn't expand my post.
That's the only reason why any team would leave the SOS to join a new WOS with the potential of bigger crows home and away

Progress isn't just defined by going to a higher tier. There's only 16 spots in the Lowland League after all.

As a single division the SoS is a mix of clubs that would be at different levels of the pyramid in other circumstances.

Look at the EoS heading into next year. Of the 13 "original" EoS clubs you're going to have representation at tier 6,7 and 8 if a Second Division is created.

Being in the pyramid means finding your level. Playing against those at your standard  and aspiring for higher. Looking at an eventual multi tiered structure in the WoS can provide that.

6 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

It's silly to compare with England yes. Geography and population are considerably different.

But given the shite state of Scotland's national team for many years, having a look at what other countries of similar size and population are doing is exactly what we should be doing IMO.

Many other country's pyramids seem to be more pyramid-shaped. We don't have to copy exactly, just see if there's something we have missed or if something works well which we could possibly do.

Croatia would be a good place to start.

Croatia ranked 6th in the world, regularly qualify for world cup and european champs

Population 4 million.

League Structure: T1=10, T2=14, T3= 3 regional leagues of 16.  Just copy this(?)

Players at: Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Celta Vigo, Wolfsburg

We've got Andy Robertson.

The  league structure serves underperforming clubs and not the actual game, where the national team has been woeful for 20 yrs

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

How seriously should we take that rumour?

If true, and they were to leave, it would leave the SOS pretty short.

It would leave the SoS gubbed IMO. I realise you could have said the same about the EoS when clubs left for the LL but, if nothing else, it would be the end of it at tier 6.

If those clubs were looking to join the WoSFL then they might just end up fully amalgamating the two.

It would leave the SoS gubbed IMO. I realise you could have said the same about the EoS when clubs left for the LL but, if nothing else, it would be the end of it at tier 6.

If those clubs were looking to join the WoSFL then they might just end up fully amalgamating the two.

The sensible thing to do if the Dumfries clubs join is to have regional conferences, the southern could be the Dumfries clubs, Glenafton, Girvan, Kello, Talbot, Maybole, Craigmark and Lugar, giving an attractive conference of 12 very local teams in a local league. I believe this was one of the main concerns for some of the folks on here, an ideal solution.

58 minutes ago, Che Dail said:

Croatia ranked 6th in the world, regularly qualify for world cup and european champs

Population 4 million.

League Structure: T1=10, T2=14, T3= 3 regional leagues of 16.  Just copy this(?)

Players at: Liverpool, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Celta Vigo, Wolfsburg

We've got Andy Robertson.

The  league structure serves underperforming clubs and not the actual game, where the national team has been woeful for 20 yrs

Croatia aren't ranked 6th in the world because they've regionalised tier 3.

I can't imagine any of the SoSL clubs other than Bonnyton Thistle being interested in leaving their current surrounds. 

Threave were happy to leave the LL, St Cuthbert supposedly delayed necessary upgrades to avoid being licensed in time for a play off while Wigtown, not sure if they are rumoured or not, allegedly contrived to hand the league title to Edusport as promotion would finish them (it actually did lead to temporary abeyance). 

Crowd numbers are a weak reason given only home receipts are kept while the expansion of the WoSL tiers which will happen would lead to a fairly rapid drop to surrounds very similar to present. 

Pie in the sky for me. 

The SoSL is artificially higher up the pecking order than it clearly merits but this anomaly can only be corrected through the creation of the WoSL and its resultant tiers. 

Long term, the SoSL should be a regionalised tier 7 or 8 as part of the set up in the west. While some clubs might have aspirations of slightly progressing up the pyramid, most ain't interested. 

8 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Croatia aren't ranked 6th in the world because they've regionalised tier 3.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Clearly, Scotland will rise to number 6 in the rankings by reintroducing a 10 team top league.

Just now, Che Dail said:

How do you know that the way they structure and prioritise football doesn't influence the outcomes for the national team?

How do you know it does? You've made a claim, the onus is on you to back it up. Correlation =/= causation.

I have serious doubts that Elgin moving into a structure that sees them having to travel no further south than Forfar will see them developing players who ascend to the heady heights of Celta Vigo, but if you can show me a regression test which indicates this is statistically significant then more power to you.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Is it expected that there will be applications from reserve teams higher up the pyramid, or is there a rule that would prevent it?

I don't think reserve teams are going to be encouraged/accepted, perhaps when things settle down and there are lower tiers to join.