Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

21 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

How many times a season do Elgin presently play on a Tuesday night?

So far 4. Only one of which was a league fixture. The other 3 were cup games played in July and August. That's all Tuesday/Wednesday by the way. Nothing scheduled for the rest of the season but there might be postponements.

Last year there were 4 games as well. 2 were early season cup games. The other 2 were league games in February and March which were possibly down to making up games.

2017-18 = 7 games. 3 early season cup games. 4 leagues games but 1 of those was the 2nd January so doesn't really count as it was new year's. The other 3 league games were in March due to a backlog.

Basically the early rounds of the League Cup and Challenge Cup are regionalised so you wouldn't have to worry about playing them. Then there's the possibility of a handful of midweek league games but only if you happen to have suffered a postponement against them.

Also out of those midweek league games. Only two were in Elgin.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

2 hours ago, theesel1994 said:

ALL their games are on a Tuesday night.

Very funny, but boring as old jokes always are.

In any event,  only a couple of very ambitious West junior clubs will ever play at Boroughbriggs,  as Elgin are on the rise towards SPFL Div 1.

Good ground though, and worth a visit.

Edited by Robert James
typo

3 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Very funny, but boring as old jokes always are.

In any event,  only a couple of very ambitious West junior clubs will ever play at Boroughbriggs,  as Elgin are on the rise towards SPFL Div 2.

Good ground though, and worth a visit.

I would visit but I need to get up early on Wednesday mornings.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

Yes. However, the current Licencing criteria are showing on the SFA web site under Governance. Interested clubs can easily check that.

Straightforward criteria.

TEN former East Juniors have been awarded an SFA licence since they joined the EoSL.   As many as SEVEN additional ex-Juniors have licensing applications pending, and the next SFA Licensing Committee meets on 26th February  (12 days time).    As well as the Pyramid, the Scottish Cup is beckoning.

If these East clubs can do it, surely West juniors can as well. Or am I missing something ? 

3 hours ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

That is just fantasy. JUnior cup will remain in the Juniors for those left.  I don't get this it has to be a national tournement their was barely a north team made it past the last 32 in the Junior cup.

South Challenge cup will be adequate enough

This isn't hugely relevant to an all-in non-league cup, which would include Highland League clubs. Clearly there are sides in that league who are capable of winning an all-in national non-league cup.

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Straightforward criteria.

TEN former East Juniors have been awarded an SFA licence since they joined the EoSL.   As many as SEVEN additional ex-Juniors have licensing applications pending, and the next SFA Licensing Committee meets on 26th February  (12 days time).    As well as the Pyramid, the Scottish Cup is beckoning.

If these East clubs can do it, surely West juniors can as well. Or am I missing something ? 

Is that 17 teams that are licensed with floodlights or will some of them lose their license at a later date?
The 70k or thereabouts for floodlights is the barrier for most teams.

Just now, tell_me_more said:

Is that 17 teams that are licensed with floodlights or will some of them lose their license at a later date?
The 70k or thereabouts for floodlights is the barrier for most teams.

They all have floodlights. Some are looking to update them to meet the minimum requirements that were set for 2020. Before 2020 there was no minimum.

The EOSFL has asked clubs if they want to continue with conferences at Tier 7 for next season or create a new divisions at tiers 7 and 8.

If clubs vote for the latter then it will likely mean that clubs applying to join the EOSFL for next season will have to start at tier 8.

Kirkcaldy and Dysart is the only junior club that has publicly intimated its intention to apply to join the EOSFL, although they could be joined by a number of Fife and West Lothian sides.

Here is St Andrews United's take on it:

League Structure for Season 2020/21

The Committee of St Andrews United Football Club has just been asked to vote on proposals regarding the structure of next season’s East of Scotland Leagues. We have been asked to consider the merits of retaining the current First Division conferences at tier seven versus the creation of a Second Division at tier eight based upon a traditional promotion and relegation format.

Following a long discussion, it was decisively agreed that the conferences have been terrific for integrating former Junior clubs into the East of Scotland League but the future structure of divisions in our region must provide clarity and stability. The Committee has therefore voted in favour of creating a Second Division at tier eight, whilst abolishing the conferences at tier seven. In doing so, we also had to consider whether or not such a league should operate next season. Indeed, some members of the Committee justifiably commented that any changes to the league structure for next season should have been agreed at the start of the current campaign in the interests of fairness and sporting integrity. However, the creation of tier eight has been mooted since last summer and the Committee noted the need to improve Scottish football as a whole, which should not be neglected in the face of self-interest. We consequently believe that the creation of tier eight should not be delayed longer than necessary, especially when taking into account the fast moving nature of Scottish non-league restructuring. The Committee has thus voted in favour of a Second Division commencing this autumn.

Since St Andrews United turned Senior in 2018, we have been made to feel welcome in the East of Scotland League and we have been impressed with the way administration matters have been handled. The St Andrews United Committee now waits with interest to see how fellow member clubs have voted and we look forward to participating in a fascinating league next year and beyond.

Edited by Footballfirst

I'm currently in a bus that has just crossed the Tay Road Bridge. As we passed the middle of the bridge, I thought: "we must now be in LL territory".

I blame all of you lot for this. [emoji23]
Not if you were coming from Newport [emoji23]

35 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Pollok are playing their cards very close to their chest on this issue, as are many clubs. That is their right.

Exactly how it happened in the East a couple of years ago.

You can’t blame them, as much as we enjoy the gossip not everything needs to be done publicly.

i agree with the LL/EoS stance of keeping things confidential but I do feel it would be beneficial towards the end of the ‘notes of interest’/ ‘start of formal applications‘ period it would be beneficial to announce the number of clubs that have been in contact, possibly with a breakdown of the leagues they have been from(though that might be too close to the line)

10 hours ago, theesel1994 said:

Is it treated as a big thing though? Even the early rounds of the Scottish are treated as a big game or there is a different excitement about them. The League must be the main thing outside the Juniors.

Ask occasional fans if they've heard of the Junior Cup, obviously they have, they'll have been to finals and watched on TV.

Ask them if they've heard of the South Challenge Cup and few will know what it is.

The name recognition is really valuable IMO, it would be nice if a way could be found to retain it. I fear not though.

ETA: Doesn't help that my club haven't had a run in any cups since switching to the seniors, of course. We chose a bad time to be a bit shite...

Edited by GordonS