Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Pyramidic -  In your attached QUOTE about the benefits of Entry into the EoSL, the opening "benefit" could possibly be misread or wrongly interpreted. For the avoidance of any doubt :

YES, you have to join a (senior) pyramid league, to be able to apply for an SFA licence 

NO  you don't need to have a licence to apply to/join  the EoSL, or the SoSL,, or in the proposed WoSL 

YES you do need to obtain an SFA licence, to be promoted from  the EoSL/SoSL/WoSL (Tier 6), into the Lowland League, which is at Tier 5  of the pyramid (as is the Highland League)

NO there isn't a "mandatory" requirement  at any time, to  apply for, or obtain a licence, after joining the EoSL/SoSL/WoSL, at any level,  An SFA licence requirement applies to Lowland, Highland, and SPFL clubs only

YES having an SFA licence, guarantees that ALL clubs which are licensed, will automatically be entered into the Scottish Cup, each season.

YES the other benefits listed in your QUOTE, also apply.

The above benefits are known and understood by the majority (if not all) of the posters on this Forum. However, I have restated the above, as it appears that there is still confusion amoungst Junior clubs/fans.

A very helpful post. It's astonishing how many misconceptions are still out there.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not yet, but if the top west juniors were on board it probaly soon would be. Maybe a way can be found to have a north vs south final eventually. Otherwise it will probably be difficult to get the HL on board.

As a competition it was once regionalised, so making a national competition you could do the same. With the numbers and geography i'm not too sure how to do it but you could try to regionalise the first couple of rounds.

Let's not get too carried away with the amateurs. Their might be some good clubs with adequate facilities, probably some better than existing juniors. But there are reasons why players gravitate towards a level, the main two being ability and commitment.

There is also the persistent rumours surrounding the illegal payment of players by some clubs. Granted that would be illegal in a new set up, but would the "ssponors" hang around if they weren't winning as often?

17 minutes ago, Robert James said:

YES the other benefits listed in your QUOTE, also apply.

While the main points stand, some of the other benefits don't apply anymore. At least not as stated in that breakdown. The SFP now only fund grants up to £2,500. The EoS grants to gain licencing only go to £1,000. The Youth Cup is now for u18s.

27 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Is it treated as a big thing though? Even the early rounds of the Scottish are treated as a big game or there is a different excitement about them. The League must be the main thing outside the Juniors.

Must have been missing from us. Excitement didnt really build when we were in it until the last 16

3 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Playing one game in the Scottish Cup and being an SFA member gave you £15,000 (£3,000 plus £12,000 annoual payment), or £11,000 if you only became a member during 2019 (£3,000 plus £8,000 annual payment).  Annual payments do vary up and down every year, it might only be £4,000 this year.  Obviously prizemoney increased depending on the number of rounds you went, Broxburn made north of £40k in Scottish Cup money alone, BSC made over £80k.  If you enter at 1st Preliminary and reach Round One, you pocket £10k.

Clubs playing in the 1st Preliminary Round will receive (26 clubs)  £3,000
Clubs playing in the 2nd Preliminary Round will receive (14 clubs)  £3,000
Clubs playing in Round One will receive (36 clubs)    £4,000
Clubs playing in Round Two will receive (32 clubs)    £5,000
Clubs playing in Round Three will receive (32 clubs)    £6,000
Clubs playing in Round Four will receive (32 clubs)  £20,000
Clubs playing in Round Five will receive (16 clubs)   £40,000

Presumably there are a number of West Juniors who may not be far off meeting the Licencing criteria. Not all will be in the top two divisions of the West Juniors. 

3 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Some of us recall the advantages that Kefc put forward for joining the mass exodus of Eastern Junior clubs to join the EoSFL.  I do not think that there is a single club that has regretted the move. As the LL/EosFL will be setting up the WoSFL I suggest that a lot of the points made by Kefc are still relevant - see below.

Some of this will have changed. I'm sure others can provide up-dates.

Then there's Player Registration, Discipline, etc. Perhaps someone can enlarge on these aspects too?

53 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:
57 minutes ago, Marten said:
I'd say merge the South Challenge Cup with the Junior Cup (so it includes the north region) and invite HL / NCL clubs. Whether or not they accept the invitation is a second, but if the cup is successful, they might do at a later point.

The Junior Cup should remain for those clubs left in the Junior game.

If the signs are correct and most/all of the big west sides leave, there won't be much of a Junior Cup left.  It would mainly be dominated by the Tayside teams like Carnoustie, Broughty, Tayport & Lochee. I doubt the clubs currently in WRJFA L2 will be that excited about it if there are no further opportunities to play the likes of Talbot, Pollok etc. A competition containing all clubs that are currently in the South Challenge Cup & Junior Cup & invites the HL/NCL clubs would be the way forward then imo.

Whether or not the rump juniors will remain organising their own junior cup is up to them, but it would be massively scaled down & regionalised imo.

3 minutes ago, Dev said:

Some of this will have changed. I'm sure others can provide up-dates.

Then there's Player Registration, Discipline, etc. Perhaps someone can enlarge on these aspects too?

I think the financial side of things will need to come from organisers rather than speculation on here.

Player registration and discipline - well, there would be no reinstatements to pay and no limit on squad size(?) . Discipline, the same as it currently is minus the fines. This is a Junior thing they wanted to keep.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

When Selkirk applied for a floodlighting grant they included their financials for 2016-17 and 2015-16 (which included 2014-15 figures). For income they have a seperate row for 'SFA'

• 2014-15 = £11,500
  • 2015-16 = £9,374
  • 2016-17 = £15,068

Even if that includes Scottish Cup prize money in each of those year's Selkirk were knocked out in the 1st Round and that was their only game. First Round prize money in 2016-17 was £2,000. So take that away from those figures you're looking at £7,374-£13,068. There's been an increase in SFA membership since then, but you'd still be left with thousands.

Maybe with the SFA hosting European Championship games this summer, the strong possibility of making lots of money from being one of the hosts for the competition,  the dividend payable could be greater than usual?

37 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

Nothing like casting aspersions there! As someone who would be drunk at Scottish ties I had some great away days and some great moments in the Scottish. Anything that should bring in extra punters should be welcomed sober or not.

I also disagree with clubs getting it out of the way (maybe it was at Pollok which maybe says more about them as a club) but most other clubs didn’t view it this way.

Clubs getting it out the way - the lower division sides that will make no money from it and will not get beyond the 3rd Rd. The North Region in its entirety.

Not sure why you think I am speaking for Pollok btw - there are/were 20/30 clubs who expect a run and look forward to it. Hard to convince supporters of these clubs (Lok included) that the cup is a bad thing.

"drunk wee neds" - three words together! Tends to imply teeny tipplers. That you? 😂 People drinking at games is one thing but squads of wee gremlins in shell suits who wouldn't usually turn up to the game if it wasn't the Cup... I can leave that. Cleaning up the terraces after big cup ties would invariably mean more booze carnage to sweep. It's not like they tidy up after themselves usually.

Edited by cmontheloknow

2 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Good point. This is the sort of issue that needs to be checked with the LL/EoSFL.

Yes. However, the current Licencing criteria are showing on the SFA web site under Governance. Interested clubs can easily check that.

Just now, Dev said:

Maybe with the SFA hosting European Championship games this summer, the strong possibility of making lots of money from being one of the hosts for the competition,  the dividend payable could be greater than usual?

That's how it works. It's why people would be quite happy to see Scotland qualify for tournaments again.