Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

14 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:
45 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:
On the current list of clubs:
Confirmed Expressed Interest: Largs, Kilwinning, Darvel, Irvine Meadow, Clydebank, Whitletts Victoria, Rossvale, Rutherglen Glencairn, Maryhill
Suspected of Expressing Interest: Cumnock, Petershill, Glasgow Uni, Pollok, Bonnyton Thistle, Fauldhouse

Add amateur club Drumchapel United PYM to the confirmed. Person earlier asking questions is involved with that club.

And if anyone was gonna ask, the PYM is Possil YM - clubs merged with Drumchapel Utd a wee while ago.

Edited by cmontheloknow

The Lowland League denied promotion because St Cuthbert were unlicensed. They don't control who does and doesn't get licenses - that's the SFA's decision.

The SoS doesn’t just cover Galloway and Dumfries. However I do agree that the WoS should cover this area too, with those clubs who want to play only against clubs from Galloway and Dumfries (and maybe parts of South Ayrshire, since this is more accessible from Wigtownshire than is the Far East or north of Dumfriesshire) eventually being allowed to play at a lower level in a south west league.

9 hours ago, glensmad said:

That is actually a factor that I haven't seen mentioned on here yet. Usually at this time of year teams are starting to talk to their players about contract extensions, and the usual 'behind the scenes' nods and winks are going on between players and other clubs about moves.

The first question any clued-up player should be asking their club is "what are your intentions regarding the pyramid ?" If they get blank expressions back, then that player would be daft to commit to anything until they know the lie of the land after the WoSFL application deadline, whenever that is set.

100% agree Glensmad

Off the thread a little but on point with senior clubs future.
I guarantee most youth clubs connected to a junior team who are about to or have went senior will find it easier to bring the youth to their teams/academy. These lads who are still in football at U17s,U19s,21s, either play it for recreational or for a chance/crack at going to a higher level and thus able to bring in better quality players to the youth team which obviously the first team will hope to cultivate into a first team player

5 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

One other reason why SoS will eventually have to be at a lower level is to deal with relegations. If Annan or Queen of the South have a few bad seasons and end up at the bottom of the LL I’m sure they would want to play in the WoS rather than fall into the SoS.

Don't even have to look that far up. Gretna 2008 and Dalbeattie Star might prefer to get relegated to the WoSFL. After all Gretna 2008 have never played in the SoSFL.

31 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

The SoS doesn’t just cover Galloway and Dumfries. However I do agree that the WoS should cover this area too, with those clubs who want to play only against clubs from Galloway and Dumfries (and maybe parts of South Ayrshire, since this is more accessible from Wigtownshire than is the Far East or north of Dumfriesshire) eventually being allowed to play at a lower level in a south west league.

I would be surprised if any South Ayrshire clubs wanted to play in the SoS, or against some of the current clubs.. Even Girvan is a fair distance from either Stranraer or Newton Stewart and is closer to Ayr than either of those towns. Some East Ayrshire clubs are closer to D&G, such Glenafton and Craigmark.

I would be surprised if any South Ayrshire clubs wanted to play in the SoS, or against some of the current clubs.. Even Girvan is a fair distance from either Stranraer or Newton Stewart and is closer to Ayr than either of those towns. Some East Ayrshire clubs are closer to D&G, such Glenafton and Craigmark.

I’m commenting from a Wigtownshire perspective. Journey time from Stranraer to Gretna, Lockerbie or Moffat is approximately the same as to Glasgow, so South Ayrshire much more accessible. North-south travel generally very much easier in the south west than east-west.

With the benefit of hindsight it’s now obvious that the original proposal for local government restructuring in 1975 - with Carrick in the same district as Wigtownshire - would have been much better for Wigtownshire than inclusion with Dumfries. If that had happened there would have been no question around Wigtownshire being in the west rather than the south for a football restructuring based on local government boundaries.

24 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

I’m commenting from a Wigtownshire perspective. Journey time from Stranraer to Gretna, Lockerbie or Moffat is approximately the same as to Glasgow, so South Ayrshire much more accessible. North-south travel generally very much easier in the south west than east-west.

With the benefit of hindsight it’s now obvious that the original proposal for local government restructuring in 1975 - with Carrick in the same district as Wigtownshire - would have been much better for Wigtownshire than inclusion with Dumfries. If that had happened there would have been no question around Wigtownshire being in the west rather than the south for a football restructuring based on local government boundaries.

Surely Wigtownshire would still have been aligned with Dumfries as D&G was a regional council and Wigtownshire became a districr council. Look on the bright side, when the bridge across the Irish Sea is built the Dumfries to Stranraer line might be reopened 😁.

Anyway apart from Girvan, and Ayr United Reserves for a brief time in the 40s, have any other Ayrshire sides played in the SoS? I'm just curious (excluding Bonnyton of course).

Edited by RedEd

I agree it is one of the best grounds - do you think the club would be anywhere near where it is without the Senor Cup (I'm sticking with this spelling)  money though. It has put it in a position to attract the best players which wins them the League and/or Junior Cup and the money that brings on its own.
As for how Talbot will act - if a WoSFL comes along and Talbot are not part of it I'll eat a pot noodle without any water being added. They know the route to the Scottish Cup money will soon be cut off to Junior clubs.
I'm sure Talbots ground was a very good standard long before Scottish cup every. Although the cash has helped. Along with a decent committee and treasurer.

I'm sure we are in good sted for three future. No panic from our end.

4 hours ago, superbigal said:

If it is formed as a totally new wosfl then the west region juniors are in an identical situation to the ersjfa.

The lowland league and new wosfl would be able to veto any juniors in pyramid in same geographical territory.

The west sjfa has got to negotiate for a piece of running this pie or it is doomed like the remaining east to be outwith progression.

I think the new wosfl needs to "claim" its geographical areas asap as part of the process.

He's back!

Killiepiyo to ask some more inane questions and spout conjecture tomorrow for a full house.

Updated list:

2 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

On the current list of clubs: 

Confirmed Expressed Interest: Largs, Kilwinning, Darvel, Irvine Meadow, Clydebank, Whitletts Victoria, Rossvale, Rutherglen Glencairn, Maryhill, Drumchapel United PYM 

Suspected of Expressing Interest: Cumnock, Petershill, Glasgow Uni, Pollok, Bonnyton Thistle, Fauldhouse

42 minutes ago, EdinburghBlue said:

High time the railway between Dumfries and Stranraer reopened.

2 hours 25 minutes on the bus is flipping murder.