Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 minutes ago, energyzone said:
10 hours ago, parkcircus said:
Looks like plans are under way for a West of Scotland league that mirrors the South

Is this coming via the club?

It seems to be an initiative from BSC Glasgow who have sent out a round robin email to West region clubs asking for expressions of interest.

1 hour ago, garrellburn said:

It seems to be an initiative from BSC Glasgow who have sent out a round robin email to West region clubs asking for expressions of interest.

Very interesting development.  Any more details on the proposals?

Read this about Kilwinning Rangers this morning and sort of wondered if they were hinting about making the move to senior football.  It was all the stuff about being a path to the senior leagues - obviously he could just have meant that they wanted players to move on to that level, but the tone made me wonder if there was something more to it.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Read this about Kilwinning Rangers this morning and sort of wondered if they were hinting about making the move to senior football.  It was all the stuff about being a path to the senior leagues - obviously he could just have meant that they wanted players to move on to that level, but the tone made me wonder if there was something more to it.

It was the player pathway I was referring to, players should pass through Junior clubs on the way up so we arnt just a net to catch them on the way down.

Anyone else find it weird that top of Tier 5 BSC Glasgow are the ones trying to organise a Tier 6 West of Scotland League?

Their manager is Stephen Swift who played in Juniors for Meadow, Kilbirnie and others so knows the high standard of teams in Juniors plus bigger potential attendances and if BSC ever have a poor season or two I reckon would much rather play current West Region Junior teams and not South / East of Scotland teams.

1 hour ago, Shannon said:

Their manager is Stephen Swift who played in Juniors for Meadow, Kilbirnie and others so knows the high standard of teams in Juniors plus bigger potential attendances and if BSC ever have a poor season or two I reckon would much rather play current West Region Junior teams and not South / East of Scotland teams.

Think you are spot on bud. Swifty has had a look at the level and realised the juniors would enhance it. There are also a couple ex Ladeside players there who have had plenty senior experience. Looks like BSC have people running the club who are forward thinking.  Kilbirnie have signed 3 or 4 players from lowland league teams this season.

17 hours ago, parkcircus said:

It was the player pathway I was referring to, players should pass through Junior clubs on the way up so we arnt just a net to catch them on the way down.

Great if players can move on to pro clubs, but even promoting  youngsters to your own first team is an achievement.

One issue in the East is that the 21s league is down to just 5 teams in the league (seriously) because the boys all want to play in the EoS u20s league instead.

So you can have a youth pathway to U19s before the players get pinched... Junior assoc not interested.

Edited by Che Dail

On 22/12/2017 at 16:55, kefc said:

Things could be changing fairly soon if what I’m hearing comes to fruition.

A West Of Scotland League to be formed alongside EOS & SOS at level 6. There’s some big big SJFA clubs in the West in discussions just now and have noted their interest in the proposed new league.

At the last AGM our club was degraded and disrespected from the top man for our decision to move. This separation of clubs and clubs moving from the SJFA could have been avoided years ago if their was vision and forward thinking from the top of the SJFA to get involved in the pyramid and Licencing earlier, sadly they have let the grade decline through the years and their member clubs have been failed.

To not have a sponsor for years for the best and biggest Cup Competition in Scotland outwith The Will Hill Scot Cup tells it all tbh.

Could this potentially be in place for next season? Great news if true and very long overdue

37 minutes ago, edinabear said:

Could this potentially be in place for next season? Great news if true and very long overdue

I'd like to think it could be, but it would likely have to be a breakaway group. With the West Region moving to 4 region wide leagues enough might be swayed. Take Glasgow Uni, Girvan, Bonnyton Thistle move over from the SoS. Then it'd maybe take another 9 from either Juniors or SPFL colts to make it viable.