Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

On 15/07/2021 at 22:55, GB65 said:

Does anyone think that the Juniors has any hope of coming back?

Really not a big fan of this Pyramid System

I think pyramid systems are in place in most countries, so I don't see why Scotland would be any different. Keeping clubs of similar levels apart doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

On 15/07/2021 at 22:55, GB65 said:

Does anyone think that the Juniors has any hope of coming back?

Really not a big fan of this Pyramid System

And what's the big problem? Ok, with conferences in the West & East it's still a bit of a transitional phase, but from next season onwards you'll basically be playing the same teams that you were playing before. I'll head to our game v Blairgowrie this afternoon. A team we've played plenty of times before the recent changes. It will still be the same football, familiar opponents. The only change is that there is a chance of promotion to tier 5, but for the vast majority of teams that won't make a difference anyway.

Just now, Andy groundhopper said:

Think that IF the clubs had stayed as Juniors, then there would have been NO improvements to grounds etc as promotion was limited if not almost impossible from that level...

Think you'll find improvements were happening anyway at clubs like Whitburn, Dyce and Broughty Athletic but it certainly didn't help. I've never really understood this deep junior vs senior tribalism that some people have on both sides. All just football as far as I'm concerned.

All that's really needed now is some sanity on having a single prestige cup competition for tier 5 or 6 and down with Scottish in its name and not much will have changed for most present and former SJFA members that are unlikely to ever progress into the HL, LL or SPFL beyond catching up with the times on floodlights and fixture lists.

10 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Scottish F.A Trophy ?  Always thought that if someone had a decent job say £250+ a week and then got paid £50-100 for playing, he was just a footballer who hadn't turned professional. I loved watching the juniors and just see every club in the same light, now  they've gone Senior. 

The sooner there is an all-inn Scottish "FA Trophy" for tier 5 and down, the better imo.

Skimming through the updated SJFA constitution I see that the rules for the Junior Cup have been updated - "The competition for the Cup shall be annual, and shall be open to all member clubs of the Association and all tier 6 teams and below on payment of entry fee, subject to the approval of the Committee"

Suppose the SJFA have done their bit to facilitate a non-league trophy (of course better if it was tier 5) - up to the clubs to decide whether they choose to play in the Junior Cup? 

Also still mentions that Junior clubs can only have a maximum of 25 players registered in their squad, though presumably that just gets ignored for those with an U20s team.

https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/media/2819/sjfa-constitution-rules-2021-22.pdf

3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Skimming through the updated SJFA constitution I see that the rules for the Junior Cup have been updated - "The competition for the Cup shall be annual, and shall be open to all member clubs of the Association and all tier 6 teams and below on payment of entry fee, subject to the approval of the Committee"

Suppose the SJFA have done their bit to facilitate a non-league trophy (of course better if it was tier 5) - up to the clubs to decide whether they choose to play in the Junior Cup? 

Also still mentions that Junior clubs can only have a maximum of 25 players registered in their squad, though presumably that just gets ignored for those with an U20s team.

https://www.scottishjuniorfa.com/media/2819/sjfa-constitution-rules-2021-22.pdf

I'd imagine U20's players will only be registered for the U20 squad and would have to have their registration moved to the first team if they are being moved up. 

6 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I'd imagine U20's players will only be registered for the U20 squad and would have to have their registration moved to the first team if they are being moved up. 

AFAIK there's no such thing as an U20 player, they are all registered with the senior club and can play for either team. 

On 17/07/2021 at 10:48, Andy groundhopper said:

Think that IF the clubs had stayed as Juniors, then there would have been NO improvements to grounds etc as promotion was limited if not almost impossible from that level. Fully expect any clubs that didn't/couldn't run with the flock - could have gone amateur ? albeit a weaker level.

Spot on Andy. 

Ground developments,  floodlights, and other improvements, have recently accelerated at a pace, which didn't happen to the same level, under the SJFA's jurisdiction.  Such improvements will continue throughout the next 5 years, or so. Thereafter it should be clear which clubs are ambitious, and those which (quite properly) are content with their current situation.