Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

At long last the whole saga is reaching its natural conclusion. I thought that I would have a feeling of triumphalism but instead there is a general sadness and despair that Junior officials through a mixture of neglect and self-interest allowed the grade to stagnate and decay.

I now realise that with motivation, innovation, general updating and the introduction of new blood that Junior grade could have moved seamlessly as one into the National Pyramid. The East Region, a fully functioning regional pyramid, would probably not have been carved in two and the likes of Lochee and Tayport etc could still have enjoyed their occasional trips to Linlithgow et al.

I wonder how history will reflect on the wasteful demise of the Junior grade. It could have been so different.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

Announce Midland League Forum @Div (they could probably just go in the HL forum tbf)

If the SoS get their own forum, we deserve one as well. At least there will be a few regular posters, including myself. ;)

But yes, let's wait until it's official.

16 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

So what has become of the Juniors then? Are there any teams left that have snubbed the pyramid?

All teams that were junior will be in the pyramid next season, so there won't be any "junior" leagues left.

6 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

One question remains, what happens to the money that the Junior FA still have stashed away in the kitty? It was supposed to be six figures from memory?

I guess that's a potential point of discussion for the SJFA AGM, which will be an interesting affair with all these changes...

5 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

With a brief mention that that it could be come a trophy for all the non-league teams.

imo that would ultimately come down to whether taking part in said cup would require joining the SJFA or not.

36 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

imo that would ultimately come down to whether taking part in said cup would require joining the SJFA or not.

We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting at least Darvel will withdraw and going by recent moves to the EoSFL all those Juniors will forgo membership. At that point it might be a struggle to have a 100 SJFA members.

Non-league SFA members sits at 62 with the expectation of around another 10 added this summer. If there's a desire for a national non-league trophy i'd imagine the SFA will ultimately see the value in controlling it.

We'll see how it goes. I'm expecting at least Darvel will withdraw and going by recent moves to the EoSFL all those Juniors will forgo membership. At that point it might be a struggle to have a 100 SJFA members.
Non-league SFA members sits at 62 with the expectation of around another 10 added this summer. If there's a desire for a national non-league trophy i'd imagine the SFA will ultimately see the value in controlling it.

I think all the teams in the west who get their license will withdraw from the junior cup 38 league games Scottish Cup South of Scotland cup and possibly a West of Scotland cup is a lot of games especially if they get a run in any cup

13 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There's a little snippet in the paper today from the new SJFA chief asking for co-operation with the pyramid leagues fixture schedulers around the Junior Cup. With a brief mention that that it could be come a trophy for all the non-league teams.

For those that haven't seen it. Wonder if it'll still be 54 come July? And presumably the SJFA realise they are behind the Scottish Cup, leagues, and SCC in the pecking order?

A non-league trophy for 2022-23 would either mean the demise of the Junior Cup as the SCC expands, or perhaps the SJFA will put their money to good use and make the Junior Cup financially viable for all?

Edited by Ginaro

8 hours ago, Ginaro said:

For those that haven't seen it. Wonder if it'll still be 54 come July? And presumably the SJFA realise they are behind the Scottish Cup, leagues, and SCC in the pecking order?

A non-league trophy for 2022-23 would either mean the demise of the Junior Cup as the SCC expands, or perhaps the SJFA will put their money to good use and make the Junior Cup financially viable for all?

Could be wrong and have been in the past but think there will be a few who will not renew.

They will realize how important the WOSFL, EOSFL etc.. is and work to the importance of their league and the South challenge cup and other domestic cups.
Sad to say but the junior cup will start to be an after thought as the years roll on.

The only way out is that once all the pyramid is joined, the junior cup can try and take over as the non league national cup but then again, the big teams that have licensed in the LL, HL, WOSFL, EOSFL and SOSFL  might think it aint worth it and wont want involved.

The Junior cup is only open to entries from clubs in membership of the SJFA. Is this a clever ruse to get clubs to retain the current membership and or to get clubs to join or rejoin the SJFA?

15 minutes ago, Dev said:

The Junior cup is only open to entries from clubs in membership of the SJFA. Is this a clever ruse to get clubs to retain the current membership and or to get clubs to join or rejoin the SJFA?

I think its time they accept its over and retire it with dignity not just it ending up as a north of scotland junior cup