Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

On 13/12/2020 at 14:49, FairWeatherFan said:

Changes to Tier 5 are going to depend on what happens above with any SPFL reconstruction and/or the increased number of West of Scotland teams getting licensed. 

Can we expect that some WoSL clubs will obtain an SFA Licence in time for season 2021/22 ?  If so, it will be interesting to see how the WoSL champions (if licensed in time)  will get on against the EoSL(or SoSL) champions at the end of the 2021/22 season.

At present in the West,  only Glasgow University are licensed.

46 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Can we expect that some WoSL clubs will obtain an SFA Licence in time for season 2021/22 ?  If so, it will be interesting to see how the WoSL champions (if licensed in time)  will get on against the EoSL(or SoSL) champions at the end of the 2021/22 season.

At present in the West,  only Glasgow University are licensed.

There's no rush, some clubs will push to be licensed and then hopefully get promotion, some will not.  That's the beauty of the pyramid, if you want to try and see how far you can go then its there for you.  if you want to stay where you are then you can

Tayport chairman David Baikie on Down the Divisions podcast saying that if the Juniors don't enter the pyramid system at the end of this season, Tayport will join the EOS.

From 18 minutes https://www.podbean.com/media/share/dir-94t7x-c713219

"We feel we have to go into the EOS or into the pyramid system for the start of next season"

Tayside teams apparently trying to negotiate a Midlands league (covering Fife, Perthshire, Tayside) as one of four LL feeders.

He also said that 30 years ago whilst manager along with the club secretary they put a pyramid proposal in the Dundee Telegraph and they got a reprimand from the SJFA for doing it!

Edited by Ginaro

Mentions being south of the dividing line

That the HL and EoS "dinnae want them" where the Dundee clubs are concerned that are north of the dividing line

Says he is not up to date on how the Midlands League proposal is going

Stayed out of a sense of loyalty to the old Tayside region and wanting clubs to move as a block, but Tayport as a club now need to move to the EoS if that doesn't happen.

Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness last played in the same division as Fauldhouse in 2016-17; Armadale in 2014-15; and Bathgate in 2011-12. But one of those three clubs might very well be in the SPFL before any of their former peers even reach tier 6. You wonder how long it will be before any of them are in the same division again - if ever.

Kelty only survived relegation from the Superleague in 2013-14 in a play-off with Dalkeith, too. 

I guess it's hitting home just what a mistake it was to be "loyal" to the SJFA. Broxburn and Penicuik last season, Tranent this season, Dundonald on telly (who very nearly decided against moving) and one from Bonnyrigg/Bo'ness playing at Dens Park.

Whitburn, Armadale, Fauldhouse and Bathgate all had the potential to emulate them. The first two are big clubs who, if run well, can get hundreds through the gate and compete at the top end of the Premier. Now they're miles behind.

11 hours ago, yogisbairns said:

Other than Livi Utd, is their any other clubs looking to jump ship next season to the EoSL?

Read the previous couple of pages - rumours are that it'll be everyone from West Lothian. Would only take one or two more and the rest will have to follow.

3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Oh, to see the day when my beloved Downfield and the other Dundee junior teams are finally able to move on...

disappointed standing in the rain GIF

It'll happen sooner rather than later. That's the easy bit. What league they will play in is still a great big can of worms.

1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

It'll happen sooner rather than later. That's the easy bit. What league they will play in is still a great big can of worms.

Yeah, that's what I thought the prevailing reason why it hadn't happened yet was. In my perfect world where everyone did what I wanted them to do even if it wasn't the most practical thing, I'd probably have a nothern central/Grampian league primarily based around Tayside and Angus, and have that along with a North of Scotland Football League (made up of NCL and NJFA) as feeders to the Highland League.

Sadly, we don't live in that world, and I struggle to think of a good solution that won't piss somebody off.