Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

26 minutes ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Can imagine that there will be plenty of clubs who wish to stay at Junior level, so long as clubs can progress and move through the leagues. Always be  clubs who won't be able to spend financially to get grounds improved etc, or don't wish to go Senior. Maybe some of the amateurs could make the step up ? 

There is no leagues to move through in the east.   Have a good season,  you stay where you are,  have a shite one,  try again next year.

26 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

There is no leagues to move through in the east.   Have a good season,  you stay where you are,  have a shite one,  try again next year.

This. Which is why we are in the death throes of the juniors. Soon everyone will be seniors or amateurs. Maybe not next season, maybe not the season after that, but soon. Certainly the current set up in the east north with 12-0's every week is pretty unappealing. 

This. Which is why we are in the death throes of the juniors. Soon everyone will be seniors or amateurs. Maybe not next season, maybe not the season after that, but soon. Certainly the current set up in the east north with 12-0's every week is pretty unappealing. 
And when you type it as plainly as that, it absolutely makes sense. Football should be senior or amateur. There is no room for anything else.

14 minutes ago, TheLad said:
14 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

And when you type it as plainly as that, it absolutely makes sense. Football should be senior or amateur. There is no room for anything else.

No, there should just be footballers. Most other countries, and most other sports, abolished the professional/amateur distinction years ago.

14 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

East north can split the league to make it a bit more competitive, but the question is what happens next when the south teams eventually decide that joining the EOS makes more sense than a 12 team West Lothian league.

18 hours ago, Ginaro said:

East north can split the league to make it a bit more competitive, ...

Not so easy to do with 17 clubs and a massive hole in the fixture list being only an abeyance away in any two division format. Losing Jeanfield, Kinnoull and Luncarty to the EoS and Montrose Roselea to the north region makes what is left unstable in numbers terms. 

9 hours ago, Shannon said:
11 hours ago, Burnieman said:
This is the last season of Junior football in West Lothian.

What is happening for Dundee 'Junior' clubs? I see Brechin are currently bottom of SPFL ..

Might muddle on for a season or two but at some point I'm fairly sure, for better or worse, we'll be assimilated into the senior set up. My guess is that a midland league will be set up on a par with highland and lowland leagues.

Might muddle on for a season or two but at some point I'm fairly sure, for better or worse, we'll be assimilated into the senior set up. My guess is that a midland league will be set up on a par with highland and lowland leagues.
Very very unlikely to be 3 leagues at tier 5. I suspect a league feeding into the Highland League is the likely outcome.

13 hours ago, Burnieman said:

This is the last season of Junior football in West Lothian.

You hope it is, or have you heard of more than just Livi Utd making the move?

4 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Not so easy to do with 17 clubs and a massive hole in the fixture list being only an abeyance away in any two division format. Losing Jeanfield, Kinnoull and Luncarty to the EoS and Montrose Roselea to the north region makes what is left unstable in numbers terms. 

But without splitting you can easily lose clubs who don't want to get beat heavily every week...

Edited by Ginaro

Just what I hearing with regards to individual clubs. Livvy we know about reducing their number to 11, others will follow to the extent there won't be enough remaining to make a league viable unless they recruit from the Amateurs.

They could all move over as a group of 12 and form an EoS Third Division next season (or part of a regional Second Division).

36 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

You hope it is, or have you heard of more than just Livi Utd making the move?

But without splitting you can easily lose clubs who don't want to get beat heavily every week...

@Bestsinceslicebread has claimed he was told by people on the committees of three (?) clubs that they are going to EoS next season. With the Lithgae Rose tribute act folding the first bit doesn't exactly come out of the blue. It would be more surprising if that didn't happen.

No easy answers on the second bit. If there are people at the larger Dundee clubs that are wanting to be a tier 5 Midlands League losing some of the weaker links to the amateurs might not be viewed as a bad thing from their perspective. Think tier 6 is more realistic and what happens with Brechin City and the Club 42 rule is probably the key to whether that would be in a LL (could be EoS rather than standalone Midlands League) or HL feeder.  The HL and NCL never mention Tayside in the context of north pyramid negotiations. You only ever really see that being discussed as a serious option on here (a bit like the EoS winding up with a Third Division).

Edited by LongTimeLurker

Guessing that when you see the West with the Conference's below, isn't it par for the curse for the EOS, Lowland, Highland to one day have two divisions at senior level ? Probably a shame for the famous Junior clubs, but progress all the way, and I suppose they could always revert to amateur status of needed. Hopefully when the virus leaves, the pyramid can be set in stone.

3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Changes to Tier 5 are going to depend on what happens above with any SPFL reconstruction and/or the increased number of West of Scotland teams getting licensed. 

[mention=47384]Bestsinceslicebread[/mention] has claimed he was told by people on the committees of three (?) clubs that they are going to EoS next season. With the Lithgae Rose tribute act folding the first bit doesn't exactly come out of the blue. It would be more surprising if that didn't happen.
No easy answers on the second bit. If there are people at the larger Dundee clubs that are wanting to be a tier 5 Midlands League losing some of the weaker links to the amateurs might not be viewed as a bad thing from their perspective. Think tier 6 is more realistic and what happens with Brechin City and the Club 42 rule is probably the key to whether that would be in a LL (could be EoS rather than standalone Midlands League) or HL feeder.  The HL and NCL never mention Tayside in the context of north pyramid negotiations. You only ever really see that being discussed as a serious option on here (a bit like the EoS winding up with a Third Division).

The EoS Third Division hasn't just been mentioned on here sunshine.

6 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

IMO there will be a Midland league but it will be at T6 with 3 feeders into the HL.

The ideal (I know licensing etc) would be 3 relgated from HL each year to allow teams to find their level

I think you would end up with a reasonably strong NCL and a "Highland" League where the vast majority are within an hour of Aberdeen.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

IMO there will be a Midland league but it will be at T6 with 3 feeders into the HL.

The ideal (I know licensing etc) would be 3 relgated from HL each year to allow teams to find their level

I think you would end up with a reasonably strong NCL and a "Highland" League where the vast majority are within an hour of Aberdeen.

Speaking out of turn here, but if the Lothian junior clubs do join the East of Scotland league is it not possible that what remains of the East juniors will merge with the North juniors. They could keep it regionalised but have the league winners playoff to determine the overall champion. 

5 minutes ago, Antony said:

Speaking out of turn here, but if the Lothian junior clubs do join the East of Scotland league is it not possible that what remains of the East juniors will merge with the North juniors. They could keep it regionalised but have the league winners playoff to determine the overall champion. 

It's as possible as anything else just about. There's basically 3 options that get thrown out. 1) The Tayside clubs try to join the EoSFL 2) The Tayside clubs form a standalone Tier 6 league wherever they can get accepted. 3) Tayside and the North merge.