Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Update from up North (c/o Montrose Roselea fb):

There are four clubs who do not wish to play football without the use of changing facilities - they are Dufftown, Fraserburgh United, Montrose Roselea and Spey Valley United.
With Buckie Rovers going into abeyance that leaves us with 28 clubs.
We have split the 28 clubs into four groups of 7 geographically.
North - Burghead Thistle, Deveronside, Forres Thistle, Islavale, Nairn St Ninian, New Elgin and Whitehills
Banff / Buchan - Buchanhaven Hearts, Colony Park, Cruden Bay, Ellon United, Longside, Maud, Rothie Rovers
Aberdeen City (south) - Aberdeen University, Banchory St Ternan, Banks o' Dee, Culter, Glentanar, Stonehaven and Sunnybank
Aberdeen City (north) - Aberdeen East End, Bridge of Don Thistle, Dyce Juniors, Hall Russell United, Hermes, Newmachar United and Stoneywood Parkvale
The proposal is for the season to start with a Grill League Cup style format comprising of eight groups. Each geographical section will have a group of 4 and a group of 3 and will play each other home and away. The winners of the groups will go into a knock-out tournament which hopefully will be completed later in the season once travel restrictions are eased.
Following the completion of grill cup group matches, then we will be looking to play league matches based on your geographical section. You will play each other home and away and the winners and runners up of each geographical section will then go on to play in play-offs to see who is the eventual winner of the North Region and will represent the Association in the Scottish Cup.

There will be no promotion or relegation, and so (hopefully) when things go back to normal next season, the league set up will be as it was before we stopped playing in March.
Should any club that has indicated that they dont want to play football have a change of heart, they will need to inform the Association by the 30th January 2021 to be able to compete in the league format. This will give them the chance to catch up on their fixtures by the end of the season.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎04‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 14:19, LongTimeLurker said:

Looks that way. In the TAJ version of events the meeting ends with Iain McQueen asking the SFA what happens next three times. The two SJFA blazers at the meeting appear to have been gobsmacked that the PWG would simply be wrapped up at that point, because it provides the time and clarity needed for a new west division/league to be launched by next season and leaves them completely out of the loop on the pyramid.

f**k the SFA

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 17:35, Born To Run said:

I’ve held my tongue for a while on this thread, but it’s probably worth making a few things clear.

I was in attendance at the initial WoS meeting, and what has happened since (including the conference meeting yesterday) is exactly what was intended. Good faith on both sides. I have no idea why some continue to have a go at the WRSJFA.

The WoS will be a members-run group series of leagues like their counterparts in the East. Using a conference arrangement means that we have a fair playing field to start with teams (ex-Junior and other) finding their level.

Clubs choosing to retain SJFA membership is not an issue. They’ll act in the same manner as the Fife FA etc in practice. There is no “hostile takeover” to worry about - indeed, the SJFA have had to commit to changes allowing the West Region sides to play in the Junior Cup (around scheduling mainly).

In order to facilitate this proposal, the West Region put through the necessary changes in the time between both meetings. Gordon Ronney has been pragmatic in reaching this conclusion, and then kept his promises.

In my view, it’s a great compromise. We should be happy that the biggest pyramid logjam is finally going to be cleared, leaving the easier issues in the North and East to sort.

There is a bigger issue coming Pyramid-wise to focus on regardless. Let’s just say people wouldn’t be impressed with the SFA view on where their League 2 side should go if relegated...

That went well

f**k the SFA

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

What's the story with the 2019-20 Junior Cup, scrapped given half the teams left aren't currently playing?

Presumably they'll wait until there's fans allowed back in and those clubs have returned, though Broughty and Darvel could play at some point this season if they find space.

More importantly, what about the 2020-21 edition? The rules have been changed to take into account the WOSFL but with clubs missing and no fans there's probably not much point.

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

What's the story with the 2019-20 Junior Cup, scrapped given half the teams left aren't currently playing?

All the teams left in it have said they are willing to complete it. Seems strange when 2 of the clubs decided they couldn't play their league season but hey, money talks.

11 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

All the teams left in it have said they are willing to complete it. Seems strange when 2 of the clubs decided they couldn't play their league season but hey, money talks.

You expecting Pollok and Auchinleck to field scratch teams? Talbot have already withdrawn from the "Big" Scottish.

16 hours ago, Ginaro said:

TJ's cheerleader gives us his thoughts https://twitter.com/BillyBarbour5/status/1331613146059059200

Screenshot_2020-11-25 Billy Barbour on Twitter(1).png

International fixtures??? 

The last internationals were in the quadrangular tournament in October 2017. Scotland kicked off against eventual winners Northern Ireland at 2.30pm on a Wednesday afternoon at a ground with no cover, no seats and no floodlights. Their second match was the following evening, against Ireland at another ground with no cover or seats. Their final game was at the best time and venue, Saturday afternoon at Pollok, but was against the Isle of Man. 

Yeah, really raising the reputation of the grade there.

4 hours ago, Burnieman said:

You expecting Pollok and Auchinleck to field scratch teams? Talbot have already withdrawn from the "Big" Scottish.

No, I was kinda expecting that if you withdraw from playing the league season then you withdraw from playing all games that fall within the timeframe of that season. Obviously I was wrong and teams can pick and choose when they play and when they don't. I'm fairly certain that if Broughty had said we're not competing in the league this season but we'd still like to play our junior cup replay we'd have been told to gtf.

No, I was kinda expecting that if you withdraw from playing the league season then you withdraw from playing all games that fall within the timeframe of that season. Obviously I was wrong and teams can pick and choose when they play and when they don't. I'm fairly certain that if Broughty had said we're not competing in the league this season but we'd still like to play our junior cup replay we'd have been told to gtf.
The difference is that the Scottish Junior Cup is run by the SJFA, which is an entirely separate entity from the WoSFL. The WoSFL have neither the power nor the inclination to get involved in dictating to any other governing body about who can take part in their competition.

3 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Easily sorted. They only withdrew from the 2020-21 season :) No problem time travelling to 2019-20.

The difference is that the Scottish Junior Cup is run by the SJFA, which is an entirely separate entity from the WoSFL. The WoSFL have neither the power nor the inclination to get involved in dictating to any other governing body about who can take part in their competition.

But presumably you allow them to interrupt the WoS schedule to play these games. Have they been scheduled?

On 26/11/2020 at 16:11, Jimi Shandrix said:

I thought Broughty voted to null & void last season’s league (although I’m prepared to be corrected on that)? Would that not then mean they should withdraw from all games that fall within the timeframe of that season, like the 19-20 Scottish Cup, according to your logic? 

Edited by Junior_Arab

8 hours ago, glensmad said:
11 hours ago, Burnieman said:
But presumably you allow them to interrupt the WoS schedule to play these games. Have they been scheduled?

No, and no, WoSFL league matches take priority over every competition other than the South Challenge Cup.

Burnieman should already have been aware of that given it was made crystal clear when the WoS was being launched. Where things get interesting though is what happens when the WoS selects its own officeholders and can start to change its own rulebook. 

3 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Burnieman should already have been aware of that given it was made crystal clear when the WoS was being launched. Where things get interesting though is what happens when the WoS selects its own officeholders and can start to change its own rulebook. 

Burnieman was asking a question and had it answered without additional tin foil hat speculation from LTL

So before this gets derailed by the usual tirade of ad hominens, WoS club involvement appears to be happening in 2020-21 to complete the 2019-20 SJC. Given a majority of WoS clubs retained their SJFA membership and a majority within WoS will be able to appoint league officeholders and modify league rules in the not too distant future, where things are heading with regards to the SJC remains an open question.