Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

As we've been occasionally lucky to find posters on this forum don't run football.

Don't think anyone imagined the 2018-19 EoSFL Conference season. Most people were stuck on "What will they do if there's more than 18 teams?!?!" conundrum.

No one really saw the pyramid leagues going along with the "Yeah, sure you can still play in the Junior Cup, As long as the senior calendar takes priority" compromise. That helped get the entire West Region into the WoSFL.

The vast majority of semi-profesional clubs are now in the pyramid. Those that are in it can focus on getting licenced to allow for more fluid movements between the leagues. Which allows for the overall structure to be tweaked along the way.

I still think the overall structure should come first, then the licensing.  I mean, without the WoSFL, there would have been no real reason for the WoS Junior clubs to get licensed. The tweaking of the structure to allow them into the pyramid has provided the impetus for their future licensing.

In time, there may be a situation where the majority of Tier 6 clubs are licensed.  If and when the WoS teams get licensed, a move to a 3-league Tier 5 would be sensible (Lowland dividing into East and West leagues), but only if SPFL2 above can enlarge to make way for a 3-up 3-down scenario - which seems a very long way away...

Edited by mcruic

44 minutes ago, mcruic said:

I still think the overall structure should come first, then the licensing.  I mean, without the WoSFL, there would have been no real reason for the WoS Junior clubs to get licensed. The tweaking of the structure to allow them into the pyramid has provided the impetus for their future licensing.

Licencing and structure went hand in hand.

SFA needed licencing to get the SFL on board, and the Highland/Lowland structure required the fewest clubs.

The Highland and Lowland Regional Divisions were first proposed all the way back in November 2011. Along the way it got tweaked to allow for the Highland League to go in intact. Thanks to Rangers going bust everyone knew the SPL/SFL merger was on the cards and that 2013-14 was going to be the starting point for the Lowland League.

Even with that much notice you had the SJFA punting on the idea, saying they might be ready for 2014-15.

Tier 6 has been open the entire time. They just chose to sit it out, happy with that they had.

6 hours ago, mcruic said:

In time, there may be a situation where the majority of Tier 6 clubs are licensed.  If and when the WoS teams get licensed, a move to a 3-league Tier 5 would be sensible (Lowland dividing into East and West leagues), but only if SPFL2 above can enlarge to make way for a 3-up 3-down scenario - which seems a very long way away...

Hoping that the West region somehow get near the 'pot of gold' (whatever that may be) or it would be a shame for clubs to spend money, meet criteria, only to see the door slammed shut. Clubs have to feel that it's a genuine pyramid - and not a threat to their livelihoods as some probably feel right now.If you're looking at 10 years +, is it all worth it ?

3 hours ago, Myles Offside said:

"The problem is that when the pyramid was started, the juniors weren't involved."

Entirely at their own choice.

That's not fair, they were involved.

Who can forget: 2014-15 at the earliest (when it's early 2013). No mandatory promotion, no rule/constitution changes, and the combined East/West Superleague.

On 05/07/2020 at 03:41, Black Pennel said:

TLDR.

I don't have twenty years left to wait to see how this pans out.

Could you chaps type quicker, be less verbose, and get to the fucking point please ?

The point is..... the remaining Junior Leagues should join the pyramid now. Getting all the junior and senior clubs under one 'umbrella'  will strengthen the pyramid, and increase pressure on the SPFL and the SFA.

Delaying for another 20 months is too long, never mind 20 years.   Is that clear enough for you ?

5 hours ago, Black Pennel said:

It was clear enough to me before the thread started three years ago. Didn't stop you & several others making the same obvious statements over & over again.

Didn't stop you commenting on them either 😉

Edited by mcruic

10 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The West Dunbartonshire Welfare League sounds boring AF.

Talbot fans would love to join in tho

I think that'll be Gartocharn in the Forth & Endrick which seems to be one of the few welfare leagues still doing okay, although I think they had to relax their player eligibility rules as some sides were finding it tough to raise a team.

Amazing amount of amateur clubs still playing, mainly Glasgow only natural. Would that be the Saturday morning and Sunday league teams ? At least there seems to be enough players at that level 'parks' football ( what we call it down south ! ) Massive decline since I stopped playing (coincidence) ⚽ 

14 hours ago, ShrimpLok said:

Harthill Royal’s ground is in West Lothian so you can’t include them as a North Lanarkshire team. 

So only 11 council areas playing Junior.

Yeah - it's in Greenrigg - I've crossed the "border" a few times as some of my family live in Harthill and some in Whitburn.  With the list, I've tried as much as possible to list the location of the club as the town it is meant to represent (hence why BSC Glasgow is in Glasgow and not Alloa).  So, yes, correct, Harthill's ground is in West Lothian, although Harthill, the town it represents, is in North Lanarkshire.

There's a lot of amateur teams as well play "cross-border" from the town they represent (many teams around Glasgow play in Glasgow for convenience).  Isle of Arran FC play in Kilwinning, but the club is based in Brodick.  Within the same council area, there are some teams who don't play in the original area they were named after (Dunipace don't play in Dunipace, but in Denny - Blairgowrie don't play in Blairgowrie, but in Rattray).

Edited by mcruic

1 hour ago, mcruic said:

Yeah - it's in Greenrigg - I've crossed the "border" a few times as some of my family live in Harthill and some in Whitburn.  With the list, I've tried as much as possible to list the location of the club as the town it is meant to represent (hence why BSC Glasgow is in Glasgow and not Alloa).  So, yes, correct, Harthill's ground is in West Lothian, although Harthill, the town it represents, is in North Lanarkshire.

There's a lot of amateur teams as well play "cross-border" from the town they represent (many teams around Glasgow play in Glasgow for convenience).  Isle of Arran FC play in Kilwinning, but the club is based in Brodick.  Within the same council area, there are some teams who don't play in the original area they were named after (Dunipace don't play in Dunipace, but in Denny - Blairgowrie don't play in Blairgowrie, but in Rattray).

Well if you're doing it that way you should have 3 senior clubs in East Renfrewshire - Neilston, Arthurlie and St Cadocs.

4 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Are St Cadoc's not playing at Ants though?

Yes, same as Harthill play in Greenrigg and BSC play in Alloa. 

But this list is apparently not based on ground location but spiritual home so I was pointing out to be consistent on that basis St Cadocs should be listed as East Renfrewshire.