Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, patriot1 said:

No reason to award titles? As has been pointed out the West Region have to put a champion forward to play in the Scottish Cup. Any news from the East on who's being put forward for the Scottish? 

They've voided the season.

"The East Region Management Committee met tonight and have declared Season 2019-20 null and void. This means there are no Champions in any of our four leagues. Given the very difficult and challenging times we are in it was important to get final clarity on the season so that we can all move on.

This was not an easy decision but we felt it was the fairest one and comes within our rule 79 which refers to the fulfilment of league fixtures. Clearly that has not been possible and we already advised that the season was finished.

We fully appreciate this will be disappointing to some who may have preferred a different solution but whatever decision was taken was always going to cause differences of opinion.

The Management Committee hope you will now work with us to set up our leagues for next season and look forward to making these as attractive and competitive as possible. We are currently working on proposals.

Finally a heartfelt thanks to all our Clubs for their patience and understanding.

The Management Committee"

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Pretty much. Think that's what the East Region did. There were a couple of teams that were top and would win on PPG but that wasn't the case across the board.

Here, apart from Darvel's split title, 3rd place or lower in the standings are champions.

I think the winners of the two East Region divisions had to meet to decide who got the Scottish Cup place. I'm not sure whats coming out of it,

5 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They've voided the season.

"The East Region Management Committee met tonight and have declared Season 2019-20 null and void. This means there are no Champions in any of our four leagues. Given the very difficult and challenging times we are in it was important to get final clarity on the season so that we can all move on.

This was not an easy decision but we felt it was the fairest one and comes within our rule 79 which refers to the fulfilment of league fixtures. Clearly that has not been possible and we already advised that the season was finished.

We fully appreciate this will be disappointing to some who may have preferred a different solution but whatever decision was taken was always going to cause differences of opinion.

The Management Committee hope you will now work with us to set up our leagues for next season and look forward to making these as attractive and competitive as possible. We are currently working on proposals.

Finally a heartfelt thanks to all our Clubs for their patience and understanding.

The Management Committee"

I'm fully aware that the East Region have voided the season. However what happens to the East Regions representative in the Scottish Cup? Is no one getting the ER's place? Did they even think of that before becoming the only league in Scotland to go null and void? 

2 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

I'm fully aware that the East Region have voided the season. However what happens to the East Regions representative in the Scottish Cup? Is no one getting the ER's place? Did they even think of that before becoming the only league in Scotland to go null and void? 

I'm sure they did but with the playoff between divisions i'm sure you'd have a conflict of interest that wouldn't lead to a consensus.

8 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Please tell me these rumours.

There were rumours that the SFA are looking to restructure the Scottish Cup, removing places for Tier 6 league winners, and Junior cup and league winners. As far as I am aware a committee has been established to look into it?

29 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That's not a rule that can be scrapped retrospectively. The 2019-20 qualifying routes apply to 2020-21. Its just after this season there may no longer be qualifiers.

The rules for the 2020-21 competition presumably don't get adopted until the SFA AGM at the beginning of June. So until that point do the qualifiers actually have a confirmed place in the competition? With the restructuring they would need to do anyway because of too many teams in the early rounds, they might take the chance to reduce the qualifiers.

Edited by Ginaro

20 minutes ago, The Informer said:

There were rumours that the SFA are looking to restructure the Scottish Cup, removing places for Tier 6 league winners, and Junior cup and league winners. As far as I am aware a committee has been established to look into it?

IMO they should be letting more teams in the big Scottish not less. A couple of early prelim rounds like the English FA cup. That's the whole allure of that competition. A 9th tier team wins a few games and possibly lands a League 2 team. Surely every team would forego a crappy local cup for the chance to go on a run in the Scottish Cup, no?

13 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

The rules for the 2020-21 competition presumably don't get adopted until the SFA AGM at the beginning of June. So until that point do the qualifiers actually have a confirmed place in the competition? With the restructuring they would need to do anyway because of too many teams in the early rounds, they might take the chance to reduce the qualifiers.

Probably that's how it plays in the rules. It's incredible bad faith though, so I'm not sure if the motion to change the rules would be for immediate implementation. 

Right now it's looking like only 2 of the 8 qualifying spots would be used. So there shouldn't be that need for next year.

2 hours ago, The Informer said:

Do these rumours also include removing the Scottish Amateur Cup Winners from the 'big' Scottish Cup ?

Funny how people are having a go at the Juniors for this way of deciding the season when the EoS, LL, HL & SPFL have already done it or are discussing similar proposals. If PPG is good enough to crown Dundee United as champions of The Championship, it's also good enough to crown Talbot as West Premiership champions.

10 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

IMO they should be letting more teams in the big Scottish not less. A couple of early prelim rounds like the English FA cup. That's the whole allure of that competition. A 9th tier team wins a few games and possibly lands a League 2 team. Surely every team would forego a crappy local cup for the chance to go on a run in the Scottish Cup, no?

I agree with you that more teams should be allowed in, but not by more preliminary rounds. A lot extra spots can be created by simply letting all Championship clubs start in Round 3 and all HL/LL clubs in Round 1.

11 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

I think the winners of the two East Region divisions had to meet to decide who got the Scottish Cup place. I'm not sure whats coming out of it,

Yes, the actual East title was meant to be decided in a north v south play-off which complicates matters over here.

The difference to the English F.A.cup is all competing are members of the F.A.as its a members compition.unlike here in Scotland,thats the point.just like the Scottish junior cup is only open to its members.the s.f.a.have suggested the same mantra be adopted here for season 22/23 they produced a paper at their congress in October for debate which was to be put out in time for June's AGM adopting the the same members only policy.dont know where we are with it.the agenda comes out 2 weeks before the AGM.

1 hour ago, Marten said:

Funny how people are having a go at the Juniors for this way of deciding the season when the EoS, LL, HL & SPFL have already done it or are discussing similar proposals. If PPG is good enough to crown Dundee United as champions of The Championship, it's also good enough to crown Talbot as West Premiership champions.

If you look at it. The SPFL have played a fairly even amount of games. Every champion on PPG is the current 1st placed team in the division. Each champion in the LL and HL are 1st on current standings and PPG. The EoSFL every champion on PPG is currently in 1st place.

No league so far that I know of has declared a champion on PPG that is not the current league leader. Other than the West Region obviously.

The SoSFL has had no decision made public and the East Region went null and void.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Personally, I'd like to see all clubs in the pyramid compete in the Scottish Cup.  At least all clubs in the SPFL, HL, LL, EoS and SoS (with hopefully the remaining juniors eventually joining the pyramid).  Perhaps there could be some kind of ground grading.  In the early rounds against non-league teams, the unlicensed clubs get to play at their own ground.  If they happen to reach the later stages (once WoS clubs start getting licensed, you'd only expect a very small number, if any, licensed clubs to reach the stage of playing SPFL clubs) then they have to play at another ground which is licensed.  Might not be ideal but, longer term, I can't see many unlicensed clubs making it through a few qualifying rounds anyway.  It would be great to see all clubs involved.  

Despite me being very pro-all clubs being in the cup, it's worth noting that the FA Cup had 735 clubs involved this year and that Scotland has a population of around 10% of England so we actually do have more clubs per person involved than England.