Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

On 14/04/2020 at 20:15, Marten said:

All 63 WRJFA confirmed + Bonnyton Thistle, Glasgow University, Drumchapel United & St. Cadoc's, so 67 teams in total. It's going to be conferences, normally 4 but I guess there is a chance it has to be 5 to reduce fixtures if the new season starts later. No confirmation from SJFA re. dual membership yet afaik.

I reckon 5 conferences.

15 hours ago, Doonhamer1969 said:
14 hours ago, Marten said:

Having the likes of Lewis & Harris and Shetland in the pyramid isn't realistic at present. I would be open to having a way for representative teams from remote areas that aren't in the pyramid like them, Skye & Lochalsh (who have a strong amateur league) and some of the other islands to get into the Scottish Cup. Even if it's only one of them and they play a wee cup against each other to decide who gets the spot. In that way the cup can be made fully national, and these areas are at least in some way included in national football.

A "remote travel fund" for certain teams is something I'd support, for some teams like Lewis & Harris and Shetland it might still not be realistic to join the NCL but at least you give them an option.

Do you know any millionaires Marten ? Would be needed as the SFA is unlikely to provide any substantial funding, IMO.

15 hours ago, Doonhamer1969 said:
14 hours ago, Marten said:

Is there a problem with ferries ? Cost  ? Timings ?

Doonhamer Ferries Yes timings, and bad weather/rough sea.

34 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Dont see why they need 5 the only fixtures they have to prioritise are the league, scc and a league cup if need be. If the sjfa cant work their cup around midweeks then tough.

17 team leagues with 32 games + multifarious cups +play offs +Big Scottish Cup (for some) + Scottish weather+ COVID+ no floodlights  (for most)  ?

Not a chance in hell.

Edited by Doonhamer1969

1 hour ago, Killiepiyo said:

Anyone else still not understand the hate towards the juniors?

Hate is a bit strong a word but I think in some cases on here, a lot of Juniors fans still don’t understand what any ‘hate towards the juniors’ actually is. 

Edited by 8MileBU

3 hours ago, Robert James said:

Do you know any millionaires Marten ? Would be needed as the SFA is unlikely to provide any substantial funding, IMO.

Doonhamer Ferries Yes timings, and bad weather/rough sea.

Shetland Orkney and lewis all have rugby teams that play in mainland leagues with Orkney at one point getting promoted high enough to be playing nationaly , weather or not they'r subsidized I've nae idea.  Shetland is a funny one tho as they don't have any direct transport links to the far north of Scotland like the other 2 do, the ferry docks in Aberdeen . So find a league for them if you can be bothered

Edited by effeffsee_the2nd

7 hours ago, Killiepiyo said:

Anyone else still not understand the hate towards the juniors?

Can you name many times in life, away from the grade of football that Talbot/Lok played, that the word 'Junior' has any positive connotations?

I have no hate towards it at all, but it had served it spurpose and it is time to move along. There's a lot of good things to look back at.

14 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Can you name many times in life, away from the grade of football that Talbot/Lok played, that the word 'Junior' has any positive connotations?

I have no hate towards it at all, but it had served it spurpose and it is time to move along. There's a lot of good things to look back at.

Basically this ^^^
Too many fans of the Juniors take any ‘hate towards the juniors’ as attacks on their clubs when it’s anything but that.

28 minutes ago, lowenan said:

Will be interesting to see what the Junior Leage set up will be for next season. 

North Region probably in its current format unless Rothie Rovers end up coming in seeing a slight change.

East Region splitting North and South still. 17 team North and 13 team South. They could chance their arm and try and have North, Tayside and Lothian league winners get the three Scottish Cup spots to make up for the loss of the West Premiership.

Edited by FairWeatherFan