Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Having the likes of Lewis & Harris and Shetland in the pyramid isn't realistic at present. I would be open to having a way for representative teams from remote areas that aren't in the pyramid like them, Skye & Lochalsh (who have a strong amateur league) and some of the other islands to get into the Scottish Cup. Even if it's only one of them and they play a wee cup against each other to decide who gets the spot. In that way the cup can be made fully national, and these areas are at least in some way included in national football.

A "remote travel fund" for certain teams is something I'd support, for some teams like Lewis & Harris and Shetland it might still not be realistic to join the NCL but at least you give them an option.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Linlithgow Rose, Bo'ness United and Sauchie. Just to name a few familiar names :whistle

I wasn't including the tribute acts in my list of "stronger" remaining junior teams. ;) 

Again the treatment of Bonnyrigg doesnt fill me with hope that the Lowland  league will be considered as an equal partner on the pyramid scale.With Hearts, along with Partick and Stranraer all potentially facing relegation, how are Brechin safe from dropping out of league 2.I would be seriously unhappy for fans and players at Bonnyrigg who could still have won the division with 5 home games to play and one in hand.Its the same old story of the top leagues protecting what they have, and my fear it will continue when more ex junior clubs reach the Lowland league.Relegation from league 2 must be changed to at least 2 up 2 down, to make pyramid fairer.

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

Tayport are being classed as Tayside in terms of what is left.

Technically they are the only Fife team left playing junior football.

And as previously mentioned the new wosfl will only get entry to the junior cup if the majority agree. A combined North and East vote against would mean no to that.

I assume Mr Ronney has banked on support in the East when he set his stall out.

Tayport are undoubtedly below the HL/LL dividing line so once a Tayside feeder is sorted out they should be joining the EOS. 

In theory the east and north could out vote the west(especially if Clydebank and Kilwinning don't turn up) but I doubt that all those clubs will present a united front. 

1 hour ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Again the treatment of Bonnyrigg doesnt fill me with hope that the Lowland  league will be considered as an equal partner on the pyramid scale.With Hearts, along with Partick and Stranraer all potentially facing relegation, how are Brechin safe from dropping out of league 2.I would be seriously unhappy for fans and players at Bonnyrigg who could still have won the division with 5 home games to play and one in hand.Its the same old story of the top leagues protecting what they have, and my fear it will continue when more ex junior clubs reach the Lowland league.Relegation from league 2 must be changed to at least 2 up 2 down, to make pyramid fairer.

The title was given to Kelty Hearts, who are also an ex-Junior club the last time I checked.

On 14/04/2020 at 01:22, Robert James said:

Chartered flights would be the only way, negotiated as a season's contract. This would need significant sponsorship from a wealthy  benefactor, and SFA recognition that it should provide some ongoing funding for football clubs in the islands.  As I said, sadly I can't see it happening in the near future, if at all. 

It's what they do in New Zealand, not sure how it's funded.

1 hour ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Why at least 2 up 2 down? Should the leagues above league 2 go back to that to make them fairer too?

55 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Why at least 2 up 2 down? Should the leagues above league 2 go back to that to make them fairer too?

It's not often I agree with a Talbot fan, but in this instance I do. Yes, they should.

3 hours ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

Because Brechin are not in a relegation spot, they're in a playoff spot. Since playoffs have been cancelled in all division then they cant be relegated  who would be promoted? LL champion or HL champion?

6 hours ago, Marten said:

Having the likes of Lewis & Harris and Shetland in the pyramid isn't realistic at present.

Tier 5: Highland League

Tier 6:NCL/North&Tayside Juniors/Shetland/Western Isles

Saves the island teams having to travel during the season. 4 way play off is an easy division for promotion. Island clubs could even still do a summer season if they wished with the previous year's champion getting the play off spot. It's doubtful the island clubs would win promotion to the Highland League in any case but, if they were so against it, they could always "do a Brora" (allegedly) and chuck it.

It would allow island clubs the opportunity to gain licensing (if they wished) and Scottish Cup entry as well as entry to lower level/local cups in place currently. Travel for a handful of cup games will be much easier to manage than a full season.

It's not often I agree with a Talbot fan, but in this instance I do. Yes, they should.
Disagree, the play offs in the SPFL are great. Means teams still have a lot to play for right up to the end of the season.

Should be same at bottom of league 2. 10th down and 9th in a play off.

5 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Tier 5: Highland League

Tier 6:NCL/North&Tayside Juniors/Shetland/Western Isles

Saves the island teams having to travel during the season. 4 way play off is an easy division for promotion. Island clubs could even still do a summer season if they wished with the previous year's champion getting the play off spot. It's doubtful the island clubs would win promotion to the Highland League in any case but, if they were so against it, they could always "do a Brora" (allegedly) and chuck it.

It would allow island clubs the opportunity to gain licensing (if they wished) and Scottish Cup entry as well as entry to lower level/local cups in place currently. Travel for a handful of cup games will be much easier to manage than a full season.

If you are going to do that, it's best to put the various summer amateur leagues in the Highlands & Islands technically on tier 7 below the NCL but with voluntary promotion. In reality very few of them (and probably none on in Shetland / Western Isles etc.) will ever make the step up, but it gives them access to licensing etc. if they want.

1 minute ago, Marten said:

If you are going to do that, it's best to put the various summer amateur leagues in the Highlands & Islands technically on tier 7 below the NCL but with voluntary promotion. In reality very few of them (and probably none on in Shetland / Western Isles etc.) will ever make the step up, but it gives them access to licensing etc. if they want.

Yeah where ye put it wont make much difference but I don't see why the leagues can't apply to move over but just remain as they are and, really, only be part of the pyramid in name only.

Unless, of course, the preference in these areas would be for representative teams to play in a mainland league but I just don't see how that's possible for the Outer Hebrides or Shetland. Skye could probably manage it

2 hours ago, Jack Burton said:

Disagree, the play offs in the SPFL are great. Means teams still have a lot to play for right up to the end of the season.

Should be same at bottom of league 2. 10th down and 9th in a play off.

Playoffs are exciting, I agree. But I still think there should be more than one promotion and relegation place, to allow for more movement between the divisions. Which should be larger, IMO. I'd like to see the possibility of 3 up, 3 down (2,2 and a playoff), though I realise that's very unlikely to happen. I don't think it's healthy that one utterly shite season, such as the one when your team got relegated to the bottom tier, should prove so disastrous that it might threaten the clubs' long-term survival if they're unable to be bounce back year after year. 

4 hours ago, Baldie2k19 said:

Because Brechin are not in a relegation spot, they're in a playoff spot. Since playoffs have been cancelled in all division then they cant be relegated  who would be promoted? LL champion or HL champion?

Agreed!  But that does need changing and should be changed in any re-organisation