Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

30 minutes ago, Robert James said:

drs you carefully chose to delete the caveat about the lack of sponsorship and SFA funding, without which the NCL or any other mainland league, would be impossible for Western Isles or Shetland clubs to participate in,  Are you a spokesperson for Lewis & Harris  FC ?  Or even for Shetland FC ?

If you are going to quote someone else's post, then have the nous to keep it in context, and relevant.  Please !

Oh and by the way, what "bullshit" are you referring to ? Examples please.

Robert, please don't take this personally. You are a vocal advocate of an inclusive and integrated pyramid. However you do have a tendency of pushing your personal opinions as fact, particularly in respect to football in the North of the country.

You claim to have insider knowledge of the running of the game in the North that several of us who are based up here with personal involvement in the game have not heard. For example, those statements regarding how what you describe as clubs, but are really the amateur select teams, would "relish" mainland competition are entirely untrue. It's not helped by the fact that you appear to be unaware of basic facts about facilities and structures, like the names of grounds, where clubs play or even what season the women's team play!

Recall, I pulled you up for this before and we had a fairly brusque exchange of views. I urge you to dial the hyperbole down, read the fora before asking extended questions that have usually been answered already and stop posting your unsubstantiated opinions as Gospel! By all means post your thoughts, but make it clear that is what they are. You might then find that folk are less critical of you and your posting style.

5 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Presuming the information above about St. Cadocs is correct then, going by Wiki, that means almost all of the 50 most populous towns/cities in Scotland now have representation in the pyramid.

Only ones missing will be Bearsden, Erskine and Grangemouth.

Bishopbriggs (Rossvale) and Kirkintilloch (Rob Roy) don't currently have a club in their town.

Likewise going by council area East Dunbartonshire isn't currently covered due to those two clubs playing outwith their local area just now but it also only leaves the Western Isles, Shetland and Argyll without representation.

Getting awfully close to an a pyramid that is actually nationwide.

I don't follow them closely but I believe the amateur teams from Bearsden, and the one from Milngavie, have been fairly successful at that level over the past 20 years or so, although not so much recently but shows potential is there. Could be ones to watch for in the longer term as possible applicants for the senior pyramid as both towns have large populations, not in theory covered currently as you say, on paper atleast scope to support a senior team with locals with money to invest, although not sure if there would be enough local appetite or suitable locations for a ground to be buit suitable for WoS given so much of the land locally has become housing schemes over the past 10 years. Rangers training ground lies between the two towns ofcourse so a possible location a club could use until such time as wanted to own a ground in order to go for a licence. 

Edited by morley

Even in the amateurs Airdrie is their primary venue. Not sure if that's purely down to licencing or the simple finances of it. If you were only using Airdrie a couple of times a year, you might not be able to get the bookings when you need them. Whereas if you're a primary tenant with 20 odd bookings each season Airdrie are going to be more accommodating.
For licencing purposes, you need to prove that you have agreements in place to play your matches at a ground that meets licencing criteria (ownership, lease, rental agreement etc), so Glasgow Uni would need to play all WoS matches at Airdrie.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Even in the amateurs Airdrie is their primary venue. Not sure if that's purely down to licencing or the simple finances of it. If you were only using Airdrie a couple of times a year, you might not be able to get the bookings when you need them. Whereas if you're a primary tenant with 20 odd bookings each season Airdrie are going to be more accommodating.

The rebranded verson of Clydebank that call themselves Airdrieonians don't own the stadium due to how the bankruptcy of the old club unfolded. Vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Uni team actually do need to play their league games there as well as Scottish Cup games as part of licensing.

57 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Robert, please don't take this personally. You are a vocal advocate of an inclusive and integrated pyramid. However you do have a tendency of pushing your personal opinions as fact, particularly in respect to football in the North of the country.

You claim to have insider knowledge of the running of the game in the North that several of us who are based up here with personal involvement in the game have not heard. For example, those statements regarding how what you describe as clubs, but are really the amateur select teams, would "relish" mainland competition are entirely untrue. It's not helped by the fact that you appear to be unaware of basic facts about facilities and structures, like the names of grounds, where clubs play or even what season the women's team play!

Recall, I pulled you up for this before and we had a fairly brusque exchange of views. I urge you to dial the hyperbole down, read the fora before asking extended questions that have usually been answered already and stop posting your unsubstantiated opinions as Gospel! By all means post your thoughts, but make it clear that is what they are. You might then find that folk are less critical of you and your posting style.

He was right about where Newton Mearns and Giffnock are.

2 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The rebranded verson of Clydebank that call themselves Airdrieonians don't own the stadium due to how the bankruptcy of the old club unfolded. Vaguely remember reading somewhere that the Uni team actually do need to play their league games there as well as Scottish Cup games as part of licensing.

Same people own both now, through separate companies.

As Sargent Wilson says, Airdrieonians and New Broomfield/The Excelsior Stadium are indeed owned by one and the the same company.

1 hour ago, Black & Red Socks said:

As Sargent Wilson says, Airdrieonians and New Broomfield/The Excelsior Stadium are indeed owned by one and the the same company.

So is it still called The Excelsior or The Penny Cars  Stadium.

Bit confusing depending where you look

Edited by santheman

6 hours ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Well considering Rossvale have over 60 teams training at Huntershill, (Bishopbriggs) including the first team and the academy training at Milton they are very much integrated within the community. Only problem is the first team not playing home games at Bishopbriggs.  Quite a few boys from Bearsden training with the Clydebank Academy so yeha the Town doesn't have a team but Clydebank is the closest local team and now with Drumchapel joining the new WOS, they are even closer to Bearsden.

A wee ditto Hillwood have a big academy but don't have an official connection to any first team, the closest is Arthurlie and Pollok

My post there Asim is not contradicting you as I get what your meaning but the way its put was like dead and fast where there is leverage with the communities still interactive with the first team.

To be honest Pollok, the town, was the biggest populated area of Glasgow during the 80s n 90s, not sure now but Pollok FC play in the town of Shawlands and the first team moved last year from their training ground of Lochinch to Nethercraigs where they now training beside teams in the academy.  Rossvale for next season have now arranged that the two U19s teams are raining different days from the first team but have arranged a let beside the first team so usually either one of the U19s teams or the U21s team will train beside the first team one night a week gaining valuable experience and letting the managers keep an eye on whats going on.

Pollok don't play in Shawlands (which is the other side of the railway line and the river), they actually play in Newlands (the clue in in the name of the ground, Newlandsfield Park).

So is it still called The Excelsior or The Penny Cars  Stadium.

Bit confusing depending where you look

I think it was called the Excelsior Stadium when Airdrie were Airdrie United but when they were able to claim back their Airdrieonians name they changed the stadium name to New Broomfield (although the ‘livery’ in and around the ground didn’t change). Under sponsorship the stadium is currently known as the Penny Cars Stadium.

56 minutes ago, Born To Run said:

This is very much a side-issue, but thought I'd spread the word.

Branding/logos for the new West of Scotland League will go live on the new twitter account (@OfficialWoSFL) at 7:30pm tonight.

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-13 at 19.47.00.jpeg

1 hour ago, Born To Run said:

This is very much a side-issue, but thought I'd spread the word.

Branding/logos for the new West of Scotland League will go live on the new twitter account (@OfficialWoSFL) at 7:30pm tonight.

Was searching the lion hoping you'd incorporated the west of scotland outline from your previous logo :P

6 hours ago, The Mantis said:

Also it's "Shetland", not "the Shetlands".

...and anyone who calls a scone a bannock, regularly wears a Fair Isle ganzie and a tourie and habitually uses du kaens as a verbal full stop is liable to get quite violent over this. Orkney can play in the NCL at the moment because the ferry crossing from Caithness isn't that drastic, but I'd question whether even that would last if the NCL started playing a normal 30+ game season as they might be expected to as a tier 6 feeder.

6 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Your bullshit that these peolle would relish mainland/winter leagues.

Do you even know there is no such football club as Lewis & Harris FC ?

I'm not a spokesman but I have spoken to spokespeople at Carloway and Ness who both state there is no interest and no feasability for them playing in either mainland or winter leagues.

It's not just about money. Many players are off island in the winter and players can't afford a fortnightly 24 hours off crofts and boats.

Lewis & Harris does exist, although I accept that it is currently a 'quasi' representative (winter) football team, which has performed well in some of the NCL cup competitions during the last 5 or 6 seasons. 

If you are saying that none of its players (presumably including yourself ?) would want to participate in highland football , even if there was sufficient sponsorship to provide air travel, (rather than relying on the ferry) then I stand corrected........with apologies.   

Are you speaking for Shetland FC as well ?