Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Might of named them first, but no real thought into it like you did. Looking at the Quality Mark scheme, especially the higher tiers tends to find familiar names that have entered senior age sides over the years.

The new set-up will look impressive (via G streetview) and doing a random on-line search a while ago.

The Lowland League promised that applications would be treated with the same discretion as the notifications of interest, so they are correct not to name any club who has applied as nobody has yet been formally approved.

On 07/04/2020 at 13:11, cmontheloknow said:

South of Scotland League grew out of the Southern Counties League (which was initially formed by Dumfries & Galloway FA members.) Name was changed to SoS League after WW2 to allow for the reserves of Killie and Ayr as they were not Southern Counties FA members.  Why Kello never played Southern Counties League football I know not. Were they in a Junior league in Dumfriesshire (which did exist) prior to joining the South Ayrshire League in 1921?

Edit: answering myself, they were.

https://www.oocities.org/br1anmccoll/dumfriesjuniorfootball.htm

Interesting to see the league's make-up when Kello last committed to Junior football in their own region (and lasted 2 seasons before going north at end of 1920-21):

Remember my late dad mentioning Hoddam Rangers, although i think that would have been either a later incarnation of the team or that the same team still existed into the 1950's.

2 minutes ago, spit said:

I've heard one of the 68 is Fauldhouse, seems there leaving the east, how reliable that source is I'm not sure

It’s not Fauldhouse. The two additional sides are amateur clubs in the West geographical area.

(Assuming that all 63 West Region sides are applicants)

Edited by Born To Run

3 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The Lowland League promised that applications would be treated with the same discretion as the notifications of interest, so they are correct not to name any club who has applied as nobody has yet been formally approved.

Exactly - not very fair on a club that hasn't publicly announced and then they don't get in anyway. Either the two clubs announce before the next statement or we find out when the Conferences are announced. And if those two clubs aren't accepted we might never know.

Exactly - not very fair on a club that hasn't publicly announced and then they don't get in anyway. Either the two clubs announce before the next statement or we find out when the Conferences are announced. And if those two clubs aren't accepted we might never know.
Only one now as Glasgow University have confirmed they have applied to join the West of Scotland League

20 hours ago, Stag Nation said:

In the last half century, the Highland League (population two man and a dog) has given us five new and surviving SPFL clubs.

The rest of Scotland put together has managed three  - Annan, Livingston and "Rangers". Apologies if I've missed any.

Maybe population isn't the best guide.

You missed Edinburgh City. Demographics isn't my strong point but I would have thought Ross County and Inverness benefited from being the only SPFL clubs in a big catchment area and therefore less competition for attracting the best players in the area.

Just now, pollokfan1987 said:
3 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Only one now as Glasgow University have confirmed they have applied to join the West of Scotland League

We already knew about Glasgow Uni (they just hadn't publicly announced it).  There are still two others to be confirmed.

8 minutes ago, Dev said:

Glasgow University have gone public (NLS).

NLS isn't the source, it just collates the Twitter feeds, like several other websites.

Edited by Cyclizine

1 minute ago, pollokfan1987 said:
4 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Glasgow University were included in the original number of 66, so they are not one of the 2 "extra" teams.