Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

Does anyone have a note of which prospective WOSFL clubs currently have floodlights?

I suspect that those facilities may need to be hired by other local clubs looking to catch up on any postponed league or cup fixtures, should we have a delayed start to the season or a bad winter.

Obviously the number of clubs with floodlights should increase as more clubs seek an SFA Licence.

Good question.

Can't say I'm 100% accurate but of the projected 66 clubs, i.e. 63 west juniors plus Bonnyton Thistle, Glasgow Uni, and Drumchapel United, then it's around 20 of 66, approximately 30%.

The West juniors are Ardrossan, Ashfield, Benburb, Carluke, Clydebank, Cumnock, Gartcairn, Greenock, Maryhill, Neilston, Petershill, Port Glasgow, Renfrew, Rossvale, Rutherglen, Shotts, Whitletts and Yoker.  Not sure if I've missed anyone.

Bonnyton Thistle and Glasgow Uni also have floodlights.  I can't speak for Drumchapel United, so am happy to be advised from elsewhere.

There are other clubs without lights who are pursuing a club license - off top of my head Talbot, Meadow and St Rochs - so presumably lights will be installed at those grounds, and no doubt many others over the not-too-distant future.

Edited by Bundesliga Boy

You’ve ever so slightly changed your tune ! A few days ago the South didn’t merit its status now they should be treated equally ( potentially ) , very gracious SSR 

Not really if you read what I wrote, I think they should be merged (with the WOSFL (exactly what I stated as my personal opinion a few days ago) however if they’re not to be merged (as others believe) and they’re to remain a Tier 6 league, then they should be treated as equals to the other leagues with regards to the playoffs. Wanting to keep them as an equal Tier 6 league but then demote them to a playoff with the other two leagues runners up seems far more disrespectful to their standing.  

15 hours ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

This is why the juniors getting their tentacles into the wosl is a disaster. Why should clubs who’ve moved on and left the sjfa have to abide by their shite to get games played. I cant see the sjfa cup stuff lasting long, the first 5 postponement replay will make everyone see sense. Unless clubs play their reserves or u20’s in the junior cup?

Agreed ,I just think it's going to get awfully complicated .

16 hours ago, honestman54 said:

How would it work in your opinion if we had an automatic relegation spot and a play off spot (e.g two potential relegation spots) from the LL?

Bottom team in the LL gets relegated

2nd bottom team and winners of SoSFL, WoSFL and EoSFL get drawn randomly into two "semi finals". The winners of them semi finals play in the LL the next season.

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Bottom team in the LL gets relegated

2nd bottom team and winners of SoSFL, WoSFL and EoSFL get drawn randomly into two "semi finals". The winners of them semi finals play in the LL the next season.

The problem is that what happens in the SPFL play off could impact on relegation from the LL. If only one team is relegated due to the champions being promoted then a play off like that doesn't work.

Just now, RedEd said:

The problem is that what happens in the SPFL play off could impact on relegation from the LL. If only one team is relegated due to the champions being promoted then a play off like that doesn't work.

Ah that is true. A couple of quick workarounds could be... a three way play off with each team getting one home and one away game and play each other once. Same amount of games for each club and can be done in a week. Top two go up. Or, in place of automatic relegation, the bottom LL team enters the play off.

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Ah that is true. A couple of quick workarounds could be... a three way play off with each team getting one home and one away game and play each other once. Same amount of games for each club and can be done in a week. Top two go up. Or, in place of automatic relegation, the bottom LL team enters the play off.

But we won't know what club goes into the playoff until the conclusion of the spfl play-off. It could be bottom , 2nd bottom or even 3rd bottom. 

You can't have a scenario where a club finished 3rd bottom, gets knocked out in the first league cup game and then sits about waiting for 3 or 4 weeks to find out that a HL side has beaten a lowland area club 42 and now they are chucked into a a play off. 

For at least the first year you're probably going to have the one promotion spot in the EoS Championship playoff model of SoS v. EoS v. WoS in one home and one away fixture across Sat-Wed-Sat. Since that only means setting aside one week.

In time there should eventually be two automatic promotion spots and the format will probably stay the same. As only a week gets set aside for a playoff that might not be needed.

4 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

But we won't know what club goes into the playoff until the conclusion of the spfl play-off. It could be bottom , 2nd bottom or even 3rd bottom. 

You can't have a scenario where a club finished 3rd bottom, gets knocked out in the first league cup game and then sits about waiting for 3 or 4 weeks to find out that a HL side has beaten a lowland area club 42 and now they are chucked into a a play off. 

Yeah this whole thing blows goats

Alright. Top teams play off in a three team, two game, group. If only bottom goes down then only top goes up, if two go down then two go up and if three go down three go up.

Thank god I'm here to fix this shit :)

3 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Easy solution after year one that a club proposes any wosl club cannot hold sjfa membership. I can see that happening.

Its just going to happen naturally and doesn't need a rule. A year goes by a bunch of clubs are SFA members. There's the next batch of WoSFL applicant who aren't going to have any affiliation to the SJFA. Looking good that 5/66 at least won't be in the SJFA next year already. That's going to put more emphasis on the WoSFL competitions.

13 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Bonnyton in:

Excellent. Makes a lot of sense, although the traditionalists might not like it since they developed from a boys club.

Edited by RedEd