Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

On 04/04/2020 at 11:19, morley said:

Paints a picture how these premier reserve teams will save the part time lower SFL teams by brining big crowds, and calls out the tunnocks Cup as an example of this. 

All that needs to be said in response to this.

Proportion of part-time SPFL clubs who've gone bust in the last 10 years = 0.00.

Proportion of old firm clubs who've gone bust in the last 10 years = 0.50.

44 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What was in the statement was that WoS league and SCC games would take priority. All that effectively means is that there can be no SJC replays the following Saturday. Ties have to be decided at the first time of asking on penalties in other words. North region clubs are already being consulted about making this change.

Agreed, the SJFA and WOS can agree to set certain Saturdays aside for the junior cup, that's perfectly possible. The priority (as far as I understand) means that postponed Junior Cup games won't be guaranteed on a Saturday as no league/SCC cup games will be moved for it. So when a game gets postponed, they might have to be rescheduled for a midweek date.

16 minutes ago, glensmad said:
21 minutes ago, G4Mac said:
So junior cup dates are now going to be organised around existing wos league games and gaps from pyramid cup fixtures? Have the north and east agreed to that? What is your thoughts on their potential reaction?

I ask out of interest because, if what I'm getting from you is correct, the ersjfa and nrsjfa are being guided on their national cup, and when fixtures will be played, by clubs who have moved into the pyramid but kept association membership.

Correct, all of this "retain SJFA membership and play in the Scottish Junior Cup" has still to be rubber-stamped by a vote of the SJFA member clubs. And as far as I am aware no meeting has been called (obviously hard to do in the current climate) and no communication has been sent out to all of the SJFA clubs to advise them of any potential vote on this matter.

Even though I don't think the North & remaining East clubs are universally happy with this, I do expect this to be rubber-stamped. Otherwise the JC will just be North/Tayside/WL. North and Tayside already play in a joint cup, so do Tayside and WL. It would devalue the cup too much.

5 minutes ago, Marten said:

Agreed, the SJFA and WOS can agree to set certain Saturdays aside for the junior cup, that's perfectly possible. The priority (as far as I understand) means that postponed Junior Cup games won't be guaranteed on a Saturday as no league/SCC cup games will be moved for it. So when a game gets postponed, they might have to be rescheduled for a midweek date.

...or more likely they would use the next available SJC date and deal with any backlog in May and early June. As long as they steer clear of November to March things will normally run smoothly.

Even though I don't think the North & remaining East clubs are universally happy with this, I do expect this to be rubber-stamped. Otherwise the JC will just be North/Tayside/WL. North and Tayside already play in a joint cup, so do Tayside and WL. It would devalue the cup too much.

You're probably correct, so why does it seem like nothing is happening about it ? The silence from the SJFA is deafening. 

The current list of 58 clubs that propose to join the WoSFL:

1. Lugar Boswell Thistle (SJFA West League Two)

2. Clydebank (SJFA West Region Premiership)

3. Kilwinning Rangers (SJFA West Region Premiership)

4. Rutherglen Glencairn (SJFA West Region Premiership)

5. Bellshill Athletic (SJFA West League One)

6. Drumchapel United (Central Scottish Amateur Premier Division)

7. Neilston Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

8. Maryhill (SJFA West League One)

9. Kello Rovers (SJFA West League One)

10. Blantyre Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

11. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (SJFA West Region Premiership)

12. Vale of Clyde (SJFA West League Two)

13. Renfrew (SJFA West Region Championship)

14. Royal Albert (SJFA West League One)

15. Arthurlie (SJFA West Region Championship)

16. Newmains United (SJFA West League Two)

17. Kilsyth Rangers (SJFA West Region Championship)

18. Whitletts Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

19. Gartcairn Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

20. Cambuslang Rangers  (SJFA West Region Championship)

21. Cumbernauld United (SJFA West Region Championship)

22. Glasgow Perthshire (SJFA West League One)

23. Ashfield (SJFA West League Two)

24. Petershill (SJFA West Region Championship)

25. Greenock Juniors (SJFA West League One)

26. Larkhall Thistle (SJFA West League One)

27. Port Glasgow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

28. Pollok (SJFA West Region Premiership)

29. Darvel Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

30. Vale of Leven (SJFA West League Two)

31. Glenafton Athletic (SJFA West Region Premiership)

32. Johnstone Burgh (SJFA West League Two)

33. Auchinleck Talbot (SJFA West Region Premiership)

34. Largs Thistle (SJFA West Region Premiership)

35. Kilbirnie Ladeside (SJFA West Region Premiership)

36. Troon (SJFA West Region Premiership)

37. Irvine Meadow XI (SJFA West Region Premiership)

38. Beith Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership) 

39. Shotts Bon Accord (SJFA West Region Championship)

40.  Forth Wanderers (SJFA West League Two)

41. Muirkirk Juniors (SJFA West League Two)

42. Benburb (SJFA West Region Premiership)  

43. Shettleston (SJFA West League One)

44. Irvine Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

45. Dalry Thistle (SJFA West Region Championship)

46. Cumnock Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership)

47. Girvan (SJFA West League One)

48. Wishaw Juniors (SJFA West League One)

49. Rossvale (SJFA West Region Premiership)

50. East Kilbride Thistle (SJFA West League One)

51. St Anthony's (SJFA West League Two)

52. St Roch's (SJFA West Region Championship)

53. Lanark United (SJFA West League One)

54. Hurlford United (SJFA West Region Premiership)

55. Craigmark Burntonians (SJFA West Region Championship)

56. Lesmahagow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

57. Carluke Rovers (SJFA West League One)

58. Glasgow University (Caledonian League Premier Division)

The following 7 WRJFA clubs have yet to make a public declaration to join the WoSFL:

SJFA West Region League One (1 club)
- Ardrossan Winton Rovers

SJFA West Region League Two (6 clubs)
- Annbank United
- Ardeer Thistle
- Maybole Juniors
- Saltcoats Victoria
- Thorniewood United
- Yoker Athletic

In addition confirmation is awaited from the following club:

- Bonnyton Thistle (South of Scotland League)

A constitution of 66 clubs divided into 4 conferences is predicted with anticipation.

THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS TUESDAY 7TH APRIL - JUST ONE DAY LEFT!

Pyramid Statement 6

Tuesday 24 March

The scheduled meeting last night with Lowland, East of Scotland, South of Scotland and West Region Juniors took place via video conferencing due to current travel and person-to-person restrictions in place.

A great deal of common ground was established.

There was agreement on a potential way forward as follows:

• In order to ensure there is a firm record of registration and a database of information for the West of Scotland Football League, the West Junior FA are in agreement that the Lowland League application form should be completed and sent to George Fraser at geo_fraser@hotmail.co.uk.
  • To give Clubs more time to make these applications under current circumstances, the deadline has been extended to Tuesday 7 April. That will be the last date applications will be accepted.
  • Clubs currently members of the Scottish Junior FA are fully entitled to retain membership and, if so, will be eligible to continue to play in The Scottish Junior Cup. The Competition Rules of that Cup will be altered to reflect the need to ensure League Fixtures have priority.
  • There is no limit to the number of teams that will be accepted; with regards to compliance with ground criteria guidelines, the Leagues will work with Clubs with the expectation that necessary steps will be made over time.  
  • It was proposed that the new league could be organised on a Conference basis, with final set up dependant on numbers. The Conferences will be for one season only.  

There remains much to do to get the West of Scotland Football League up and running.

The parties are aware that the formation of any new league is subject to approval from the Scottish FA and discussions will continue in that regard.

All parties at the meeting last night are committed to continue to work together, to support the creation of the final piece of the Pyramid feeding into the Lowland League. 

George Fraser [Lowland League] John Greenhorn [East of Scotland League] Colin Holden [ South of Scotland League] Gordon Ronney [ West Juniors]

https://www.eosfl.com/

Edited by Pyramidic

An excellent report on Rossvale from the Kirkintilloch Herald:

Rossvale looking to bright future in new West of Scotland League

Rossvale have confirmed their intention to join the new West of Scotland League set-up which will operate as part of the pyramid system.

The club have formally applied to join the new league which will operate at their tier below the current Lowland League.

Details of how the league will operate can only be confirmed once a decision on the outcome of the current campaign - currently on hold due to the coronavirus shutdown - is reached.

But if, as seems likely, the season is declared null and void, the current West Region junior clubs intending to move across - including Rossvale and Kirkintilloch Rob Roy - expect to be placed into several Conferences for next season, along with clubs from other leagues moving into the new set-up.

The leading teams in each Conference would then form a West of Scotland Premier League the following season.

Unlike most clubs Rossvale are not turning their backs on a long history in the junior game, the Bishopbriggs-based club having only joined the junior ranks nine years ago.

Club chairman Dom McInally said: “At Rossvale we see our club as being still a new and fresh set up to the junior ranks and the rise to now be playing in the top tier is remarkable to say the least.

“This new set up which allows all clubs an avenue to at some point if ambitious thinking enough to progress through the pyramid system and onto the Lowland League.

“This was always a target for our club when it was first started, to see how far we could push ourselves within the semi-pro game and beyond. This avenue has just been handed to every club and one that Rossvale grabbed with both hands.

“I think the main thing for ourselves is that we must keep improving and pushing Rossvale Juniors onto bigger and greater achievements over the coming years.

“There are massive plusses with the new set up but for your mainstay clubs who have given some over 100 years service to the SJFA this time is now coming to an end unfortunately.

“These cubs have only known junior football and for clubs, supporters alike they have given their lifetime to keep these great clubs ticking over year after year.

“It is an institution within Scottish football that is now nearing an end but it is not of course all doom and gloom, we all have a chance to move forward together and embrace & improve on what we provide for our supporters each Saturday.

https://www.kirkintilloch-herald.co.uk/sport/football/rossvale-looking-bright-future-new-west-scotland-league-2529939

4 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I am pleased to announce that Glasgow University FC has applied to join the West of Scotland League, as confirmed by Donnie Fergusson (football club secretary ) this morning.  A formal announcement will follow.

Will they play at airdrie?

12 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I am pleased to announce that Glasgow University FC has applied to join the West of Scotland League, as confirmed by Donnie Fergusson (football club secretary ) this morning.  A formal announcement will follow.

Really great news Robert. I have amended the listing of applicants above.

Edited by Pyramidic

40 minutes ago, Robert James said:

This is best thing you've posted in months Robert.! As a Graduate from Glasgow Uni this is great news. Hopefully they can put some money into Garscube and try and get some students along to support 

Edited by edinabear

34 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Link to source?

Otherwise it's just you saying so.

53 minutes ago, Robert James said:

New local derby for us then - unless they continue to play at Airdrie! I'd actually been given a heads up about this one happening a few weeks ago, but obviously it wasn't my place to say anything until the uni announced it themselves.

10 hours ago, passbackdave said:

Any idea how many cups there will be in the new sosl? Am lost with it all why r clubs retaining there junior status when there is only 8 junior clubs not applied for this wosl? Who is gonnie run the wosl?

Mon the papers

Posted this before Glasgow uni have applied.strathclyde uni have NOT applied. only one other non junior club  HAS applied along with 63 junior clubs a total of 65 clubs for the new wosfl.

More positivity - this time from Lanark United in the Daily Record

Lanark United boss says new league set-up presents a high level test

Colin Slater relishes the chance of a crack at top-rated teams.

Boss Colin Slater says the proposal is becoming a more attractive prospect the more he thinks about it, because it gives them a crack at top-rated teams.

While he acknowledges that United couldn’t compete financially with the big boys, Slater reckons they could hold their own on the pitch.

He said: “I wasn’t sure about the West of Scotland League to begin with, because I’m a long-term ‘junior’, but the more I see of it the more I think of it as a proposition.

“The club needs to stay in the pack and not be left behind. It’s a more attractive idea and it’s where we want to be.

“Some of the teams will be hard to compete with, but we have competed against them in the past, we’ve had decent cup runs.

“It’s an opportunity to play teams that are currently higher up than we are, and we want to play at as high a level as we can – that’s why we’re there.

“We are ambitious, but finances might dictate what we can do with that.

“Financially, we’re not in the same park as some of these guys, and funds are dwindling at all clubs just now. It’s week to week for a lot of clubs just now and it’s unknown how long this is going to go on for.

“It’s an unique situation.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/lanark-united-boss-says-new-21792585

3 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Posted this before Glasgow uni have applied.strathclyde uni have NOT applied. only one other non junior club  HAS applied along with 63 junior clubs a total of 65 clubs for the new wosfl.

That would mean no Bonnyton and it is surprising that they wouldn't have announced it yet, if they were going to switch leagues.

4 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Thanks for the info. Where would this leave Bonnyton Thistle located firmly within WoSFL territory but would remain in the SoSFL? Does not quite fit with other info.