Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

I think I just answered your question above, but I'll reiterate, playing against relatively bigger clubs should boost crowds - they got promoted from the bottom division last year after several years stuck in the basement with no remotely well supported clubs in it. Plus in the longer term, a licence means Scottish Cup entry and the potential to get some really big home gates - an unsound business model I dare say, but one that works, up to a point, for many small clubs in Scotland. 

The ground does look like it could be close to licencing standards. So that would also come with a SFA dividend every year which should at least help alleviate the rising rent costs.

14 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

I genuinely hope so!

With regards licensing, February was the cut off date for applications to be submitted via the licensing department. That was long before covid and I doubt special cases would be considered.

I think you are right, that the possible 'special cases' I flagged up,  won't be considered by the SFA for the Scottish Cup 2020/21.  

However, one Junior club that is putting its existing SFA membership & licence at risk, is Banks O'Dee, if the NRJFA doesn't make moves to join alongside the North Caley League, as two separate pyramid  leagues below the Highland League.  Assuming that is, that they don't jump ship in the meantime........which BoD's club chairman has consistently rejected (in recent years), when approached.    

Rod Petrie / Aan McRae / Ian Maxwell.......sort it out please, as the solution isn't difficult now that the Juniors can keep their historic cup......... and whilst the NCL clubs are keen to resolve it.. 

9 minutes ago, glensmad said:

All 63 West Region clubs must be classed as "Pyramidistas" now, eh ? After all we've all willingly applied to join it apparently.

Kidding yourself on there pal. Let's be honest, it was Hobson's choice.

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

Compromise.

As said, scrap both the SCC and the junior cup, new all encompassing Cup, named as above, Scottish Lowland Cup, but use The Junior Cup trophy.

Not really. Because the North Region and East Region go "We'll be keeping the Junior Cup going" bye.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Compromise.

As said, scrap both the SCC and the junior cup, new all encompassing Cup, named as above, Scottish Lowland Cup, but use The Junior Cup trophy.

Maybe worth bearing in mind that there are around 45-50 junior clubs in the HL catchment that are probably not leaving the junior grade any time soon.

Compromise.
Isn't that what the South Challenge Cup is ? All clubs from tier 5 down in the LL area ?

If the SJFA wants to find a way of continuing to be relevant to its West members, is there scope for getting someone in familiar with grant availability and planning, to work with the clubs towards achieving licensing?

10 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Team that finished second didn't have a licence either.

Edit: the highest licenced side in 2018-19 finished 9th.

I hadn't noticed that the 4 licensed clubs all had a rotten season, finishing 9th,10th,12th and 13th.

A myth that needs debunked on here is that SJC ties will played midweek. 
The Tuesday trip to Elgin was used as a stick to beat the Juniors. How laughable it was they mocked. But it's OK now for the Pyramid proponents to use the same stick about the SJC. 
It won't happen. Hardly any Juniors have floodlights and schools etc don't meet the criteria for hosting these ties 

Well they wont be able to play in the alternative cup then, you want to join a senior league then that comes first. No ones forcing any club to join the wosl. No way should any meaningful wosl fixture be put aside for a cup thats not even relevant anymore.

6 hours ago, edinabear said:

All very exciting this. Hopefully the lowland keague will have at least 2 guaranteed relegation places and at least 1 from League 2 plus a playoff for 11th

I'd be happy enough with one guaranteed relegation from SPFL2, which would be team 44 if 2 extra clubs were added to the league. Agree there should be 2 automatic relegations from Lowland League now.

3 hours ago, G4Mac said:

This fills me with fear, some of the language regarding the pyramid isnt exactly encouraging. It also appears that fans feel their clubs have been forced into the move when they might not necessarily have wanted to.

This is what I didn't want to happen as clubs who feel 'forced' to move have the ability to delay things progressing once the wosfl is up and running for those that wanted to move. Potential to 'dig their heels in' at every turn due to a fear of change.

Hopefully I am wrong though (happy to be actually) but I remain to be convinced.

You're not wrong.

There are clearly a nucleus of clubs who are moving 'against their will'.

As I mentioned several times now, they had a choice. It would have only taken 10-12 of them to talk to each other and decide not to apply. The WJFA would then have been duty bound (surely?) to carry on a league for them.

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

is it really ok to copy and paste from a club facebook page or forum on to here? If the individuals involved wanted to comment on here they would.

Bad form imho.

I'd tend to agree with that in principle, however as the comments in the group are visible to public, I don't see any problem.

The group admins have to make the FB group completely private if they dont want the comments visible to those not in the group.

41 minutes ago, glensmad said:
48 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:
Compromise.

Isn't that what the South Challenge Cup is ? All clubs from tier 5 down in the LL area ?

Yes, I was saying that using the JC trophy would be a sop to the ex junior clubs.

As others have mentioned above though, it could only happen when the North and remnant East join the pyramid.