Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

12 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I'll be interested to see how many WOSFL clubs enter next season's U20 league.

Currently there are 29 teams split into two conferences, but they are drawn from multiple leagues, SPFL L1, SPFL L2, LL, EOSFL and SoSFL.

Depending on numbers, there may be a case for regional conferences to cut down on travel costs, with most games scheduled to start at 8pm on Friday evenings. Unless clubs already have a 3G surface and floodlights, games are normally played at Council, School or University facilities. 

Bellshill Athletic 2001's due to move up to Under 21's so the Under 20 Dev league will be ideal for our guys. They are looking forwad to it

11 hours ago, Lowland team said:

Undoubtedly access to a 20s development league is there and regionally setup would just be common sense EK.Bsc.bonnyton.all have teams at that level they might apply to join.

EK dont currently have a 20s think that went year before replaced by their reserves. However their current 19s are majority second year so maybe would be a possibility. Believe K park is an issue Fri night. 

21s football is fairly deep rooted with the premier clubs I’m not sure how much ambition there is to change. 19s is where there is a complete mess. 40% of clubs from the top tiers of paisley and central folded this season. Catastrophic. Could well force some hands of the clubs to join or connect with a junior team to be able to keep going. 

Regards an east/west split I believe 21/22 is probably more likely, but as noted may only take 5/6 entries to seriously look at it. 

bonnyton, bsc, cumbernauld, uppers, dunipace, camelon, stirling, braves is 8 west of the edinburgh catchment fairly reasonable travel before any new west club applies.

Edited by BTID

10 hours ago, Robert James said:

Thanks Pyramidic :  "Confirmation awaited from the following 2 Amateur clubs",   

Bonnyton Thistle are current members of the South of Scotland League, and as such will need to resign from it, if they join the WoSFL. This won't be confirmed until the new  West league's AGM has confirmed the new structure and membership

Glasgow University does not need to make any announcement at this stage, as it isn't a 'community club' , and its fan base is usually its students (who, by the way, are not currently in residence) .  However, is it likely that GUFC  will risk losing its 50+ years  SFA full Membership & Licence, by not joining a senior pyramid league, now there will be one in the West ?   

Regarding the other two Amateur clubs which have bee mentioned (several times)  on here, Oban Saints and Strathclyde University, I am of the view that (sadly) neither have applied yet, with only 3 days left.   Of course, I may be wrong.                  

Glasgow uni.have applied.Strathclyde uni.have not applied.the only other non junior club is drumchappel am.

Any news out of Ardeer Thistle or Saltcoats Victoria?

As there are so few teams remaining who haven't applied, I am assuming all will apply in the end but have an affection for the area (and got along to an Ardeer game last this/last season) so would be interested to see confirmation.

8 hours ago, spit said:

Lesmahagow and craigmark have both applied it's on there Facebook page, we'll Lesmahagows is on a fan page, but it's there

Thanks to Spit.

These are the Lesmahagow Facebook messages about the new league. Possibly typical of what's been discussed throughout the west? Certainly looks like the club has applied.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115348398500028/

Lesmahagow Juniors Supporters     Public group

Alan Gallacher This pyramid system for me is a lot of nonsense giving clubs delusions of grandeur .and then theres those teams with finances leapfrogging more worthy teams .

o   17h

Stephen Walsh We need to go too as nobody left unfortunately.

o   17h

Gus Cartwright Stephen Walsh we’ve already applied

§  14h

o  

Stephen Walsh I know Gus. Don’t think anybody really wants to but we need to. Nobody left mate. 👍

§  13h

Gus Cartwright That’s it mate juniors are deed it’s shite

§  13h

Stuart Elliott Gow are going as well

16h

Andrew Irving Most junior clubs have applied if they don’t I don’t no where they would play .

o   16h

Stephen Walsh Can’t survive if nobody to play mate. End up merging with amateur leagues.

§  16h

Allan Colquhoun Junior football as we know it is finished all the clubs applying won’t get in they will cherry pick the best and most popular teams with good facilities sadly they are teams who don’t meet the criteria so will be left behind

o   15h

Neil Schoneville Allan Colquhoun all teams will be accepted you only need to meet ground criteria for getting into Scottish cup and lowland league

§  15h

Allan Colquhoun Neil Schoneville that’s not others think at other clubs

§  14h

Drew Lindsay Allan Colquhoun I think teams get a bit of time to get up to the criteria for what is required

§  14h

Edited by Dev

6 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Glasgow uni.have applied.Strathclyde uni.have not applied.the only other non junior club is drumchappel am.

Bonnyton is non-Junior. Does that mean that they've not applied?

8 minutes ago, Dev said:

Thanks to Spit.

These are the Lesmahagow Facebook messages about the new league. Possibly typical of what's been discussed throughout the west? Certainly looks like the club has applied.

Alan Gallacher This pyramid system for me is a lot of nonsense giving clubs delusions of grandeur .and then theres those teams with finances leapfrogging more worthy teams .

o   17h

o   17h

§  14h

o  

Stephen Walsh I know Gus. Don’t think anybody really wants to but we need to. Nobody left mate. 👍

§  13h

§  13h

16h

Andrew Irving Most junior clubs have applied if they don’t I don’t no where they would play .

o   16h

Stephen Walsh Can’t survive if nobody to play mate. End up merging with amateur leagues.

§  16h

Allan Colquhoun Junior football as we know it is finished all the clubs applying won’t get in they will cherry pick the best and most popular teams with good facilities sadly they are teams who don’t meet the criteria so will be left behind

o   15h

Neil Schoneville Allan Colquhoun all teams will be accepted you only need to meet ground criteria for getting into Scottish cup and lowland league

§  15h

§  14h

Drew Lindsay Allan Colquhoun I think teams get a bit of time to get up to the criteria for what is required

§  14h

People cant seem to differentiate between being in a pyramid league and licensing 

The current list of 56 clubs that propose to join the WoSFL:

1. Lugar Boswell Thistle (SJFA West League Two)

2. Clydebank (SJFA West Region Premiership)

3. Kilwinning Rangers (SJFA West Region Premiership)

4. Rutherglen Glencairn (SJFA West Region Premiership)

5. Bellshill Athletic (SJFA West League One)

6. Drumchapel United (Central Scottish Amateur Premier Division)

7. Neilston Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

8. Maryhill (SJFA West League One)

9. Kello Rovers (SJFA West League One)

10. Blantyre Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

11. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (SJFA West Region Premiership)

12. Vale of Clyde (SJFA West League Two)

13. Renfrew (SJFA West Region Championship)

14. Royal Albert (SJFA West League One)

15. Arthurlie (SJFA West Region Championship)

16. Newmains United (SJFA West League Two)

17. Kilsyth Rangers (SJFA West Region Championship)

18. Whitletts Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

19. Gartcairn Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

20. Cambuslang Rangers  (SJFA West Region Championship)

21. Cumbernauld United (SJFA West Region Championship)

22. Glasgow Perthshire (SJFA West League One)

23. Ashfield (SJFA West League Two)

24. Petershill (SJFA West Region Championship)

25. Greenock Juniors (SJFA West League One)

26. Larkhall Thistle (SJFA West League One)

27. Port Glasgow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

28. Pollok (SJFA West Region Premiership)

29. Darvel Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

30. Vale of Leven (SJFA West League Two)

31. Glenafton Athletic (SJFA West Region Premiership)

32. Johnstone Burgh (SJFA West League Two)

33. Auchinleck Talbot (SJFA West Region Premiership)

34. Largs Thistle (SJFA West Region Premiership)

35. Kilbirnie Ladeside (SJFA West Region Premiership)

36. Troon (SJFA West Region Premiership)

37. Irvine Meadow XI (SJFA West Region Premiership)

38. Beith Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership) 

39. Shotts Bon Accord (SJFA West Region Championship)

40.  Forth Wanderers (SJFA West League Two)

41. Muirkirk Juniors (SJFA West League Two)

42. Benburb (SJFA West Region Premiership)  

43. Shettleston (SJFA West League One)

44. Irvine Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

45. Dalry Thistle (SJFA West Region Championship)

46. Cumnock Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership)

47. Girvan (SJFA West League One)

48. Wishaw Juniors (SJFA West League One)

49. Rossvale (SJFA West Region Premiership)

50. East Kilbride Thistle (SJFA West League One)

51. St Anthony's (SJFA West League Two)

52. St Roch's (SJFA West Region Championship)

53. Lanark United (SJFA West League One)

54. Hurlford United (SJFA West Region Premiership)

55. Craigmark Burntonians (SJFA West Region Championship)

56. Lesmahagow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

The following 8 WRJFA clubs have yet to make a public declaration to join the WoSFL:

SJFA West Region League One (2 clubs)
- Ardrossan Winton Rovers
- Carluke Rovers

SJFA West Region League Two (6 clubs)
- Annbank United
- Ardeer Thistle
- Maybole Juniors
- Saltcoats Victoria
- Thorniewood United
- Yoker Athletic

In addition confirmation is awaited from the following 2 clubs:

- Glasgow University (Caledonian League Premier Division)
- Bonnyton Thistle (South of Scotland League)

A constitution of 66 clubs divided into 4 conferences is predicted with anticipation.

THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS TUESDAY 7TH APRIL

Pyramid Statement 6

Tuesday 24 March

The scheduled meeting last night with Lowland, East of Scotland, South of Scotland and West Region Juniors took place via video conferencing due to current travel and person-to-person restrictions in place.

A great deal of common ground was established.

There was agreement on a potential way forward as follows:

• In order to ensure there is a firm record of registration and a database of information for the West of Scotland Football League, the West Junior FA are in agreement that the Lowland League application form should be completed and sent to George Fraser at geo_fraser@hotmail.co.uk.
  • To give Clubs more time to make these applications under current circumstances, the deadline has been extended to Tuesday 7 April. That will be the last date applications will be accepted.
  • Clubs currently members of the Scottish Junior FA are fully entitled to retain membership and, if so, will be eligible to continue to play in The Scottish Junior Cup. The Competition Rules of that Cup will be altered to reflect the need to ensure League Fixtures have priority.
  • There is no limit to the number of teams that will be accepted; with regards to compliance with ground criteria guidelines, the Leagues will work with Clubs with the expectation that necessary steps will be made over time.  
  • It was proposed that the new league could be organised on a Conference basis, with final set up dependant on numbers. The Conferences will be for one season only.  

There remains much to do to get the West of Scotland Football League up and running.

The parties are aware that the formation of any new league is subject to approval from the Scottish FA and discussions will continue in that regard.

All parties at the meeting last night are committed to continue to work together, to support the creation of the final piece of the Pyramid feeding into the Lowland League. 

George Fraser [Lowland League] John Greenhorn [East of Scotland League] Colin Holden [ South of Scotland League] Gordon Ronney [ West Juniors]

https://www.eosfl.com/

Edited by Pyramidic

I know it's probably been mentioned on other threads but I do wonder how the lockdown and effective end of season will affect Scottish Cup places next season, especially since Talbot (and BoD?) have games in hand, and that that the East Juniors has split into two regions.

Hopefully as well for 2020-21, they'll finally award the North Caley League Winners a Scottish Cup berth, they're the only Senior or Junior league without a berth. Bit unfair on the likes of Invergordon and Orkney.

50 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

I know it's probably been mentioned on other threads but I do wonder how the lockdown and effective end of season will affect Scottish Cup places next season, especially since Talbot (and BoD?) have games in hand, and that that the East Juniors has split into two regions.

Hopefully as well for 2020-21, they'll finally award the North Caley League Winners a Scottish Cup berth, they're the only Senior or Junior league without a berth. Bit unfair on the likes of Invergordon and Orkney.

I do not expect any Scottish cup places to be given ut to any junior teams this year as its too hard to work out who should get the places.  So easier just to miss it out for next years Scottish cup

Thanks to Spit.

o   17h

o   17h

§  14h

o  

Stephen Walsh I know Gus. Don’t think anybody really wants to but we need to. Nobody left mate. [emoji106]

§  13h

§  13h

16h

o   16h

§  16h

o   15h

§  15h

§  14h

§  14h

This fills me with fear, some of the language regarding the pyramid isnt exactly encouraging. It also appears that fans feel their clubs have been forced into the move when they might not necessarily have wanted to.

This is what I didn't want to happen as clubs who feel 'forced' to move have the ability to delay things progressing once the wosfl is up and running for those that wanted to move. Potential to 'dig their heels in' at every turn due to a fear of change.

Hopefully I am wrong though (happy to be actually) but I remain to be convinced.

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

is it really ok to copy and paste from a club facebook page or forum on to here? If the individuals involved wanted to comment on here they would.

Bad form imho.

I suppose if folks fire comments out into the ether via any form of social media, the comments become Public Domain.  And so quotable?  Perhaps.

44 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I do not expect any Scottish cup places to be given ut to any junior teams this year as its too hard to work out who should get the places.  So easier just to miss it out for next years Scottish cup

The format of the Scottish Cup for next season, is not easy to predict, given the virus, because.........

If the 3 Junior Regional League's seasons are not completed, there will be no champion clubs anyway. Similarly if one or both of the Scottish Junior, and Scottish Amateur Cups aren't completed, then there can't be any cup winners, who would (otherwise) be eligible to enter the Scottish Cup).   Likewise,what about the Southern Counties FA Cup winners ?. 

On the positive side, the 6 new SFA  licensed clubs  will be eligible to enter the 2020/21 Scottish, assuming their licences are ratified at the SFA's AGM in June.

Also will Cumnock and Petershill make a special case that their ('deferred/not considered earlier') licence applications, should now be approved, as they will be a senior club for 2020/21 ? This assumes that their applications were not approved, solely because they weren't playing in a pyramid league, at that time ???

Given the above, will changes to the Scottish Cup's Preliminary Rounds, need to be changed for 2020/21 ? Or is it too early to tell ?