Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I used to watch Celtic Reserves when they played at Airdrie, usually on a Monday afternoon, then drive past guys with Celtic shirts on, hanging about the local shops, oblivious that their heroes were about quarter of a mile away.

Reserve teams will add nothing.

I'm not saying reserve teams should be in but to say they will add nothing is utter rubbish, (my view).
Those lad sin the reserve, usually youth players of a high calibre will test themselves against, usually older more physical players, the older more physical players will test themselves against younger more polished players. They will come up against teams using systems and then changing during a match and the younger players of the lowland league and below will learn form same age but higher standard players. Development along these lines will defiantly be a benefit, that's for sure.  Crowds wise, not so sure.

1 minute ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm not saying reserve teams should be in but to say they will add nothing is utter rubbish, (my view).
Those lad sin the reserve, usually youth players of a high calibre will test themselves against, usually older more physical players, the older more physical players will test themselves against younger more polished players. They will come up against teams using systems and then changing during a match and the younger players of the lowland league and below will learn form same age but higher standard players. Development along these lines will defiantly be a benefit, that's for sure.  Crowds wise, not so sure.

Well you watch them then, because I won't be. The place for reserves is a Reserve league.

5 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Alternatively, they could continue to loan young players to other clubs to aid their develoment. That way they play with experienced p!ayers as well as against them. 

2 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Alternatively, they could continue to loan young players to other clubs to aid their develoment. That way they play with experienced p!ayers as well as against them. 

Not disagreeing with that as I deal with that sort of thing with players I have worked with and know the benefits of that as well.

4 hours ago, Pyramidic said:

Positive "newsbite" from Lesmahagow in Daily Record

Lesmahagow boss Robert Irving says West of Scotland League can revive juniors

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/lesmahagow-boss-robert-irving-says-21788529

4 local clubs =16 derbies...?

Arithmetic not his strong point...

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Well you watch them then, because I won't be. The place for reserves is a Reserve league.

ffs, your not getting it, you made a statement about 'no benefit at all' and you are complete wrong, FACTUALLY. Don't go in a huff about it as I don't go in a huff if and when I'm wrong , even on here.  You made a statement and I said you are totally wrong.  Its the field I work in, to date, successfully at football and know the huge benefits of players developments in these scenarios.

11 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

If it’s being done purely from a player development point of view there is absolutely nothing stopping the  managers/coaches getting in touch with each other for a bounce game.  Indeed most summers they’ll be games going on between non-league sides and nearby spfl youth teams, with results differing wildly depending on how many senior pros play alongside the kids.  

it’s absolutely fine for pre-season, but it isn’t for competitive games.

9 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

ffs, your not getting it, you made a statement about 'no benefit at all' and you are complete wrong, FACTUALLY. Don't go in a huff about it as I don't go in a huff if and when I'm wrong , even on here.  You made a statement and I said you are totally wrong.  Its the field I work in, to date, successfully at football and know the huge benefits of players developments in these scenarios.

Who's in a huff " ffs, FACTUALLY, quoting your work and success rate"? Only one person seems to be getting excited.

I'll reword for your benefit, as those "in the game" seem to have difficulty understanding. The vast majority of supporters who attend matches have no interest in watching reserve teams in the same divisions as established clubs.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Been reading a bit that talk of regionalising conferences.
I really don't see how this would work as for example East Ayrshire (Talbot, Hurlford, Darvel) and North Ayrshire (Buffs, Meadow, Largs, Beith, Kilbirnie) are largely strongly than Lanarkshire (Lesmahagow, Lanark, Carluke)...?

6 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I really don't see how this would work as for example East Ayrshire (Talbot, Hurlford, Darvel) and North Ayrshire (Buffs, Meadow, Largs, Beith, Kilbirnie) are largely strongly than Lanarkshire (Lesmahagow, Lanark, Carluke)...?

They didn't regionalise the EOS conferences so no need to do it in the West either. 

We had no problems being in with Tweedmouth(113 miles). What would the longest trip in the WOSFL be? 

I've got no idea where this regionalisation talk is coming from, afaik it was never mentioned at any meeting. I would expect conferences to be based on what division the junior teams were in this year.

12 minutes ago, Shannon said:

I don't think the Conferences will be regionalised for the reasons you said, as well as the difficult of drawing splitting them up 4 ways anyway.

Does seem to show there will be some interest in regionalisation in the lower tier instead of a League One and League Two.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

Let all teams at Tier 5 and below enter and rename it The Junior Memorial Cup. 
And that is where the problems will begin, not every tier 5 club, barring maybe some old east juniors (those who are unlicensed) and a fair percentage of the new wosfl would be interested in the junior cup, in any form or name.

image.png.2d78ff5c4074be97108fdaecc4c285c5.pngimage.thumb.png.6159e839c0719b9ce4164899819d1859.png

I'd be very surprised at Winton not going. They're not paying for floodlights to play in the Juniors. Same with Yoker. Their ground will soon be of a standard required for a Licence.
(Yes - I do know it isn't just about the ground for SFA Licensing). Have any of the other ones made negative remarks towards WoSFL?

37 minutes ago, G4Mac said:
1 hour ago, BigBadBassRock said:
Let all teams at Tier 5 and below enter and rename it The Junior Memorial Cup. 

And that is where the problems will begin, not every tier 5 club, barring maybe some old east juniors (those who are unlicensed) and a fair percentage of the new wosfl would be interested in the junior cup, in any form or name.

I'd have thought "Junior Memorial" would satisfy each camp, those who wish to remember The Grade and those who want to remember how they ended it.

30 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Who's in a huff " ffs, FACTUALLY, quoting your work and success rate"? Only one person seems to be getting excited.

I'll reword for your benefit, as those "in the game" seem to have difficulty understanding. The vast majority of supporters who attend matches have no interest in watching reserve teams in the same divisions as established clubs.

I'm not disagreeing with you in regarding to interest in the matches, infact Ill agree with you, (although I have no proof either way), but you said there was no benefit at all and I'm saying your wrong.   Trust me, in the coaching world of junior football there are many who see this movement as a challenge but also a quicker way to develop youth players from academy point of view.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I used to watch Celtic Reserves when they played at Airdrie, usually on a Monday afternoon, then drive past guys with Celtic shirts on, hanging about the local shops, oblivious that their heroes were about quarter of a mile away.

Reserve teams will add nothing.

Celtic fans in Airdrie???

11 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

image.png.2d78ff5c4074be97108fdaecc4c285c5.pngimage.thumb.png.6159e839c0719b9ce4164899819d1859.png

I'd be very surprised at Winton not going. They're not paying for floodlights to play in the Juniors. Same with Yoker. Their ground will soon be of a standard required for a Licence.
(Yes - I do know it isn't just about the ground for SFA Licensing). Have any of the other ones made negative remarks towards WoSFL?

I messages yoker on fb to ask and they said they will be making an announcement in coming days.

Hiya Alan, the club will be issuing a statement in the coming days. As you can imagine it's made things a little more tricky having to arrange conference calls and meetings to discuss our way forward. Keep an eye on the clubs social media feeds for any updates. Thanks for your interest and apologies for not being able to give a more definitive answer at this time

5 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

I'm not disagreeing with you in regarding to interest in the matches, infact Ill agree with you, (although I have no proof either way), but you said there was no benefit at all and I'm saying your wrong.   Trust me, in the coaching world of junior football there are many who see this movement as a challenge but also a quicker way to develop youth players from academy point of view.

Fine we'll agree on the bits we agree on and disagree on the rest

1 minute ago, MacGafraidh said:

Celtic fans in Airdrie???

Aye, the non-travelling, short wearing schemie type. There's nearly as many as the other side.