Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Daily Record update:

Shotts boss John McKeown hopes new league set-up encourages fans

Shotts Bon Accord boss John McKeown hopes being part of the new West of Scotland League set-up can coax fans back to Hannah Park.

McKeown hopes being part of a new, vibrant league that would place junior clubs just below the Lowland and Highland Leagues, can bring a bit of excitement back and get supporters flocking through the gates.

“We have a fantastic social club and a change of situation could coax a lot of fans back. If we could do that it would be great to see more people coming through the gate.

“It might also force clubs to improve their facilities a bit, and that could be interesting for a few of them.”

McKeown says the new set-up is a welcome breath of fresh air for the junior game and change was long overdue.

“I think it’s the only way ahead,” he said, “and we will certainly apply for it, but we will need to wait and see how it all pans out. In the long-term we have the potential of moving up the pyramid, and it’s an exciting prospect.

“I suppose it’s a situation where junior football needs a wee shake-up."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/shotts-boss-john-mckeown-hopes-21788431

16 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Daily Record update:

Coronavirus Scotland: Manager calls for season to be scrapped despite his side being top of league

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/coronavirus-scotland-manager-calls-season-21806002

"... with conferences due to be set up with geography in mind ...".

He's right, they'll all be in the West of Scotland.

For the smaller clubs like Royal Albert having conferences for a season is a great way to get some larger visiting supports and more match day income for at least a season. In a season or two they will become tier 7 / 8 team depending on the quality of their squad.
They don't have to invest in their squad or facilities more than they currently are but if wanted can use any extra cash from games v for example Talbot, Meadow, Kilbirnie, Beith, Pollok, Kilwinning Rangers etc to invest in their facilities / upgrade their pitch etc.

4 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

"... with conferences due to be set up with geography in mind ...".

He's right, they'll all be in the West of Scotland.

Because it hasn't been defined, you'll find conflicting opinions of how they want the Conferences to be arranged. When i've seen those say geographically I struggle to see how it can be done as you're nitpicking at certain areas. And that's before considering relative strengths of each Conference would have if it was to be done by seeding.

The geography arguments seems to be out of the same fear of leaving the junior set up. They're clinging to something familiar.

1 hour ago, 8MileBU said:

Haha, it is indeed a great word and very appropriate for said idiot. @honestman54 seemed a little upset by it though. Maybe he didn’t think it was apt.

Jeezo, the guy has gone to the trouble of collating a list of teams who have declared and given the list of teams in each division. Do a bit of leg work yourself and work it out.

Well done Pyramidic you're doing a sterling job. Thank you

My red dot was due to what I regarded as a negative comment to the correct comment ive copied above.

Edited by honestman54

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

It makes sense to think that Hurlford have applied as at the moment they seem out on a limb as the only To[ flight club not to have applied.

St Roch's have just Tweeted:

https://twitter.com/StRochsJuniors

Z47Vt64n_bigger.jpg

We have completed the application to participate in the new West of Scotland League starting in season 2020/21 This was decided at a meeting with fans a few weeks ago. So after 100 years as a Junior Club we will begin the 101st with the pathway to Senior Football available
Edited by Dev

6 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Petition to rename thread to "Junior football: 1886-2020"

strictly speaking their should be a new forum created for wosfl. This forum should only be used to discuss the scottish junior cup, Tayside league, North juniors and the West lothian League

1 hour ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

This is a guy who clearly has no business sense or vision of the future for his team.
if you don't adapt, then you die and it will all be his fault, no exception.
Do you honestly think a fecking grade, (junior) is going to stay the way it was for another 100 years.
Things adapt, the youth players coming through that will populate all football teams, including his, is changing, the youths attitude, their opportunities to do something else or forced to give up football due to work, learning, school, pressure which is not for the best so you have to see ways to keep these lads interested to stay in football.

he is goin to the WOS, it wont cost him a penny extra, infact cost less money as far as I'm aware.
I've stated I don't want to see any team fold but if a team does, its because of BACKWARD, STAGNENT thinking of guys like this.

I wish the team, chairman and committee and fans well in their new venture and truly hope it works out for them

Unfortunately you have no idea of our club our how we have managed to keep it running for so long under extreme financial restraints

but these restraints we have embraced and move our club from a perennial bottom two finishing club to a club with a little success.

we are not lacking ambition we are realistic on what we can do.

the new leagues may benefit the smaller clubs in the short term but realistically after three seasons the bigger clubs will again be in the top leagues leaving the leagues more or less the way they were.

1 minute ago, Wee Albert said:

Unfortunately you have no idea of our club our how we have managed to keep it running for so long under extreme financial restraints

but these restraints we have embraced and move our club from a perennial bottom two finishing club to a club with a little success.

we are not lacking ambition we are realistic on what we can do.

the new leagues may benefit the smaller clubs in the short term but realistically after three seasons the bigger clubs will again be in the top leagues leaving the leagues more or less the way they were.

yes but you would be able to progress. As a junior club we had £4 in the bank in 2016 when our current committee started coming on board. if someone had won the treasure chest the club would have folded they had no money to pay it. Fast forward 4 years later we have youth teams and floodlights. Our crowd increase id say about 10-15 came from interest when we moved. The rest from Youth teams. So if you;ve got more than £4 in the bank your off to a better start than my club is.

Crossgates were in abeyance a few years ago now are competing in eosfl premier because they had a refresh basically same as we did by going into EOSFL. OK they arent licensed but they are improving their facilities and are doing well at it

This is what Hurlford United, Lanark United and Annbank  United have shown in the past. Strong clues?

http://www.hurlfordunited.com/

An agreement has been reached that WRFA junior clubs can join the pyramid & retain SJFA membership to continue to play in the Scottish Junior Cup. 

Etc.

Mar 25, 2020

https://twitter.com/Record_Sport/status/1242822244335845376

Lanark United FC Retweeted

Daily Record Sport

@Record_Sport

SPFL pyramid masterplan agreed as Juniors get set to move en-masse to new West League |

@Doonhamer79

https://bit.ly/2UiMiMc

https://twitter.com/AnnbankUnited·

Retweeted:

@TheJuniorPuffer  14 Feb

Would you prefer your club to move into pyramid with or without SJFA?

With SJFA

43.5%

Without SJFA

42.9%

Just not at all

13.6%

588 votes · Final results

16 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

yes but you would be able to progress. As a junior club we had £4 in the bank in 2016 when our current committee started coming on board. if someone had won the treasure chest the club would have folded they had no money to pay it. Fast forward 4 years later we have youth teams and floodlights. Our crowd increase id say about 10-15 came from interest when we moved. The rest from Youth teams. So if you;ve got more than £4 in the bank your off to a better start than my club is.

Crossgates were in abeyance a few years ago now are competing in eosfl premier because they had a refresh basically same as we did by going into EOSFL. OK they arent licensed but they are improving their facilities and are doing well at it

Yes and look at Dunipace.

Is there any chance that some of the remaining West Junior clubs would be willing to clarify their positions i.e. if they've applied could they post it on Twitter or Facebook or on their web site? Thanks in advance.

Premiership (1) Championship (1) League One (4) League Two (6)
Hurlford United Craigmark Burntonians Ardrossan Winton Rovers Annbank United
    Carluke Rovers Ardeer Thistle
    Lanark United Maybole Juniors 
    Lesmahagow Juniors Saltcoats Victoria
      Thorniewood United
      Yoker Athletic

Edited by Dev

18 minutes ago, AlanCamelonfan said:

strictly speaking their should be a new forum created for wosfl. This forum should only be used to discuss the scottish junior cup, Tayside league, North juniors and the West lothian League

I can see there being a tier 6 in the North from next season. Just think the COVID situation will see leagues no finishing and an opportunity for a fresh start. Don't think it will include the Tayside clubs however.

I can see there being a tier 6 in the North from next season. Just think the COVID situation will see leagues no finishing and an opportunity for a fresh start. Don't think it will include the Tayside clubs however.

It looks like there will hopefully be a tier 6 in the North it just won't include the juniors. 

Ahh Tayside, Junior football's wandering Jew.