Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

6 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Defiantly, it's not a priority but in my opinion will need looked at but I would have liked to see the South teams who genuinely want to or have the ability to progress join the new WOSFL as it'd probably make a future merger much easier is the SOSFL is genuinely only  a county league.  anyway enough about that, so 9 teams for the EOS and around 50 for the WOS going to be an interesting season next year if it ever gets started.  

Why didn't any of the wrja clubs who you say are superior join the sos.to find their level quicker.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Why can all of these things not be done in parallel?

I would argue that in setting up a WoS and continuing to run an SoS league with a geographical overlap they've missed the boat on what was a pretty simple fix - rebrand the SoS, encourage every Lowland area team east of eg Harthill to apply to the SoS and run conferences. Everyone gets an opportunity to find their level, no one is demoted, and the geographic split is clearly defined.

The 'geographical overlap' comprises TWO teams out of (probably) 79 (64+15)

If Bonnyton are going to the WoS, then the only anomaly will be Kello. 

It's hardly a major sticking point in the creation of a fully functioning pyramid. 

Making some SoS teams, eg Creetown, travel miles every 2nd week, as well as making Central Belt teams travel to Wigtownshire every 2nd week, even for one season, would put an unnecessary financial strain on many clubs. The more ambitious SoS teams would want to move up, a lot wouldn't, and couldn't afford to.

Edited by Doonhamer1969

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

It's hardly a mjor sticking point in the creatsioon of a fully functioning pyramid. 

Making some SoS teams, eg Creetown, travel miles every 2nd week, as well as making Central Belt teams travel to Wigtownshire every 2nd week, even for one season, would put an unnecessary financial strain on many clubs. The more ambitious SoS teams would want to move up, a lot wouldnt, and couldnt afford to.

Great, then the likes of "Creetown" could find their level in a regional league within a WoS set up if some travel is going to kill them.

Where is the line showing where the WoS ends and SoS begins on a map? Presumably there is a designated point where one becomes the other if you can advise there are only two anomalies?

1 minute ago, Marshmallo said:

Why can all of these things not be done in parallel?

I would argue that in setting up a WoS and continuing to run an SoS league with a geographical overlap they've missed the boat on what was a pretty simple fix - rebrand the SoS, encourage every Lowland area team east of eg Harthill to apply to the SoS and run conferences. Everyone gets an opportunity to find their level, no one is demoted, and the geographic split is clearly defined.

There's absolutely nothing stopping the SoSFL clubs from applying to the WoSFL. And there were clubs that are meant to have put in a note of interest.

The majority of the clubs probably don't want to join the WoSFL, especially right now, due to the additional travel it would cause them. Given time it will probably fall naturally to where it will  be a feeder/regional division of the WoSFL.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

It's hardly a mjor sticking point in the creatsioon of a fully functioning pyramid. 

Making some SoS teams, eg Creetown, travel miles every 2nd week, as well as making Central Belt teams travel to Wigtownshire every 2nd week, even for one season, would put an unnecessary financial strain on many clubs. The more ambitious SoS teams would want to move up, a lot wouldnt, and couldnt afford to.

Instead of trying to change everything before the wosfl is up and running.lets just continue to get it sorted.

5 hours ago, Robert James said:

FUTURE OF THE JUNIORS

WEST

As the deadline for applications is less than 6 days away, it is evident that the formation of the West of Scotland (pyramid) League has been a success, with at least 49 applications to date.  The remaining question will be which Junior clubs (if any) don't submit an application to the LL's new 'feeder' league ? 

EAST

I have not yet seen confirmation from the EoSL, about the final number of new clubs who actually applied to join for 2020/21. Was it 8 junior clubs in total, or were there any surprising 'late'  applications from West Lothian, or north of the Tay clubs (testing the SLL/HFL boundary, as Luncarty have done)  ?  Did any amateur clubs also apply ?  Has Eyemouth reactivated its dormant EoSL membership ? The future of ERJFA Juniors remains very unclear.

NORTH

Some discussions were held with the North juniors, about the possibility of them joining a Highland pyramid, alongside the North Caledonian League. Someone on here referred to TJ and the SFA being involved (?).  However, in the absence of any further/recent information, it now appears that nothing is happening about the North Juniors joining the pyramid. Or have I missed something ?

In the meantime, according to the Inverness Courier,  four new clubs have applied to join the NCL for 2020/21. They are :  Loch Ness (Inverness & District League), new club Scourie (from north west Sutherland),  HFL club's Nairn County Development XI, and the return of Alness United (subject to a new ground lease being agreed).  North Caley officials have met with SFA and and HFL reps, andthey have been transparent about their clubs interest in joining the pyramid. 

Will the North Juniors be left behind ? 

THERE IS STILL WORK TO BE DONE IF THE SCOTTISH PYRAMID IS TO BECOME TRULY NATIONAL.

Another totally pointless post Robert. You just ask questions that you know you wont get answers to over and over again!

1 minute ago, San Starko Rover said:

Because the SOS league is a D&G league not a WOS league.  

Why are Bonnyton in it? Why were Talbot pointed in the direction of the SoS when they made enquiries about a license? Weren't East Kilbride meant to be playing in the SoS before the Lowland League was formed?

Edited by Marshmallo

21 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't think we can blame the SoSFL for a convoluted play off when they're not the ones amending it by adding a new league in

Well if you leave the SOS at tier 6 the alternative to a 3-way play-off is to have all the west clubs apply to join the SOS (after all it's what the SFA wanted licence applicants from the west to do). At which point you need conferences to sort things out anyway.

Of course this discussion could be academic once we find out later this month which SOS clubs have applied. There's meant to be 3 or 4, so even less chance of a licensed champion capable of playing in the LL being produced.

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

I would suggest that @sweep is the man to believe here. As for Kennie, he hasn't been involved with Lugar for quite a while.

Didn't realise that was the case. But their website, twitter and facebook haven't been updated for ages so not sure how we're expected to know they have applied for the WOS.

Edited by Ginaro

Just now, Marshmallo said:

Why are Bonnyton in it? Why were Talbot pointed in the direction of the SoS when they made enquiries about a license? Weren't East Kilbride meant to be playing in the SoS before the Lowland League was formed?

If you read back through the thread I agree the SOSFL should have become the WOSFL but the WRJFA clubs were dead against joining it as it was D&G with the exception of a club or two.  Having 3 feeders to the Lowland is unnecessary and should be two especially as they are so unbalanced in terms of teams,areas, population.   

4 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

If you read back through the thread I agree the SOSFL should have become the WOSFL but the WRJFA clubs were dead against joining it as it was D&G with the exception of a club or two.  Having 3 feeders to the Lowland is unnecessary and should be two especially as they are so unbalanced in terms of teams,areas, population.   

It does make sense and in time we'll probably see the SoSL getting swallowed up by their East and West counterparts. But lets get the WoSL up and running first. The SoSL is an established league and it deserves its place in the pyramid. 

2 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

It does make sense and in time we'll probably see the SoSL getting swallowed up by their East and West counterparts. But lets get the WoSL up and running first. The SoSL is an established league and it deserves its place in the pyramid. 

Slightly off the discussion, ive never understood why the SOS seemed to only attract clubs from the South West and not all the way across the South of Scotland to the South east.

You are wrong Lugar Boswell thistle put their application in at the meeting at East kilbride.   When the question was asked at the end of the meeting (Have any club applied) The answer was one. That one was Lugar who were the first team to apply
It's really good to see you so keen and positive about joining the pyramid, as you were very sceptical a few weeks ago. At least next season you'll have a visit from (probably) at least four current Premiership teams to set your finances up for the season.

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever but I do think it will be surprising if 3 or 4 SoS clubs apply to the WoS.  Hard to see any club other than (possibly) Bonnyton apply.  Threave already stepped down from the EoS once many years ago and stepped down from the LL so I'm not sure why they, or other clubs, would go into conferences next season involving far more travelling than the SoS.  It would be interesting to see a few of the clubs move but I find it hard to believe that they will.

21 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Well if you leave the SOS at tier 6 the alternative to a 3-way play-off is to have all the west clubs apply to join the SOS (after all it's what the SFA wanted licence applicants from the west to do). At which point you need conferences to sort things out anyway.

Of course this discussion could be academic once we find out later this month which SOS clubs have applied. There's meant to be 3 or 4, so even less chance of a licensed champion capable of playing in the LL being produced.

Didn't realise that was the case. But their website, twitter and facebook haven't been updated for ages so not sure how we're expected to know they have applied for the WOS.

Think you'll find there's only 2 sos clubs that have applied. Bonnyington.think the other is Newtown Stewart.plus glasgow uni not Strathclyde uni.

7 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Slightly off the discussion, ive never understood why the SOS seemed to only attract clubs from the South West and not all the way across the South of Scotland to the South east.

By South East do you mean the Borders? That'd be because they had the EoSFL. In fact it was the EOSFL that attracted Annan, Threave, Dalbeattie and Gretna at various points. Then Ayrshire as we know was a Junior football hotbed.

5 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

1. No decent roads - it's much easier for clubs from Gala etc. to get to Edinburgh and the Lothians.

2. More attractive opposition?

10 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Think you'll find there's only 2 sos clubs that have applied. Bonnyington.think the other is Newtown Stewart.plus glasgow uni not Strathclyde uni.

All that inside info and you can't even spell their names correctly...

15 minutes ago, stanley said:

I have no inside knowledge whatsoever but I do think it will be surprising if 3 or 4 SoS clubs apply to the WoS.  Hard to see any club other than (possibly) Bonnyton apply.  Threave already stepped down from the EoS once many years ago and stepped down from the LL so I'm not sure why they, or other clubs, would go into conferences next season involving far more travelling than the SoS.  It would be interesting to see a few of the clubs move but I find it hard to believe that they will.

I also have no inside info - but not sure how Threave wanting to drop down from the LL a few years ago means they wouldn't want to join the WOS - sure it's more travel than the SOS, but it's less than if they were to get promoted to the LL.

Edited by Ginaro

3 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

The EoS has always covered the borders (South East clubs) going back many decades.  Go back to 1960-61, for example, and you've got the following clubs in the EoS:

Edinburgh (6 clubs)-Spartans, Civil Service Strollers, Edinburgh University, Ferranti Thistle, Edinburgh City Police, Murrayfield Amateurs

Borders+Berwick (10 clubs)-Gala Fairydean, Vale of Leithen, Peebles Rovers, Coldstream, Hawick Royal Albert, Eyemouth United, Selkirk, Duns,  Chirnside United, Berwick Rangers reserves

It'll be a combination of history and transport links.  In addition, the south west of Scotland is much further south than the south east of Scotland due to the border with England.