Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

4 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Daily Record:

Thorniewood United boss Jamie Nesbitt says new league set-up will leave clubs unhappy

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/thorniewood-united-boss-jamie-nesbitt-21785530

He isn't getting it, is he? Thorniewood, and I dare say some others, need to have a good think about the implications of not applying very soon.

Other news items:

Johnstone Burgh bid to join senior football

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/18346925.johnstone-burgh-bid-join-senior-football/

Neilston Juniors apply for move to West of Scotland Football League

https://www.barrheadnews.com/sport/18346956.neilston-juniors-apply-move-west-scotland-football-league/

5 minutes ago, RedEd said:

He isn't getting it, is he? Thorniewood, and I dare say some others, need to have a good think about the implications of not applying very soon.

They will apply. It is clear that some managers want to complete the current season but sadly that is not going to happen.

Just now, Pyramidic said:

They will apply. It is clear that some managers want to complete the current season but sadly that is not going to happen.

Agreed. The season is gubbed, probably at every level now.

14 minutes ago, Pyramidic said:

Daily Record:

Thorniewood United boss Jamie Nesbitt says new league set-up will leave clubs unhappy

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/thorniewood-united-boss-jamie-nesbitt-21785530

The bigger issue I saw straight away was

“From our league, you’re talking about Vale of Leven going into the top league, and Johnstone Burgh could catch them, but with their current position they would be in the second-bottom or third-bottom tier, according to this message I was sent. If you did it based on form then Johnstone Burgh could win the league.

"If you did a forecast for the last six games, and where people were, the positions would be completely different for each league.

“That message had Kirkintilloch Rob Roy, Troon, Rutherglen Glencairn and somebody else in the bottom division, so you’re then saying that would take them four seasons to get an opportunity to even play-off against a Highland League side, and I think if I was at any of those four clubs I would be saying ‘wait a wee minute’ that’s not the way it has to happen.”

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

My guess in the longer term would be that the NCL and North Juniors could form two separate entities below the HL with a playoff for promotion. I don't see them integrating fully with each other for the main reason that by and large they cover two geographical areas...the former being more or less the Black Isle and up, and the latter effectively east of Nairn and down as far as Montrose.

The issue might be down the line...there would seem to be a few North Junior teams who would be able to step up to the HL in terms of onfield performance and ground criteria...BoD, Bridge of Don Thistle and Aberdeen Uni all spring to mind...less so in the NCL. This would obviously shift the HL's epicentre south and east, and historically the HlLs been protective of the balance between Highland proper and Aberdeenshire sides.

Which, as far as I understand, strathspey were admitted to the league ahead of banks of dee. Although Turriff were a strange admission. I personally would love to see relegation from the Highland league. There are clubs comfortable in the knowledge they won't be relegated. Get rid of the dross and have a more competitive league instead of the top 6 or 7 thumping the rest every week. 

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

He clearly hasnt even read Troon's statement from yesterday.  Hell mend them!!!!

10 minutes ago, james666 said:

Which, as far as I understand, strathspey were admitted to the league ahead of banks of dee. Although Turriff were a strange admission. I personally would love to see relegation from the Highland league. There are clubs comfortable in the knowledge they won't be relegated. Get rid of the dross and have a more competitive league instead of the top 6 or 7 thumping the rest every week. 

The existing 15 clubs had 3 votes each: Turriff United (15 votes), Strathspey Thistle (14 votes), Formartine United (11 votes) and Banks o'Dee (5 votes).

1 hour ago, Pyramidic said:

Daily Record:

If the Thorniewood committee want to stay in the junior set up, they should approach the ERSJFA and see whether in the case of one, two or more clubs, where there was no junior league left for them to play in, they would accept  them. Looking at the ERSJFA constitution, no boundaries to the region are mentioned, so it would seem to be a question of whether the existing clubs would be willing to accept the travel. Surely relatively near clubs like Thorniewood, Wishaw, Carluke and Lanark would be accepted. Despite what has been said about wanting to provide a choice, at the moment these clubs seem to be faced with no real option of playing in a  junior league. It’s either join the new WOS pyramid league(s) or go amateur.

Edited by DiamondOwl

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

It seems to be a combination of denial that this season's over and done with - which it is, no matter how much we wish it were otherwise - and failure to understand what's actually going on.

I wonder if they were one of the teams who didn't express an interest and consequently didn't send anyone to the WoSFL meeting...the complete confusion over what is slated to happen might suggest that to be the case?

Initially I wasn't a huge fan of the conference idea - there will be a hell of a lot of lopsided results the first season - but the biggest plus point I can now see is that it might serve as a wake up call to a few teams who viewed from outside - perhaps unfairly - seem to be sleepwalking into the new setup and not quite taking on board the fact that this isn't a continuation of the current WRSJFA.

Edited by Hillonearth

11 minutes ago, DiamondOwl said:

If the Thorniewood committee want to stay in the junior set up, they should approach the ERSJFA and see whether in the case of one, two or more clubs, where there was no junior league left for them to play in, they would accept  them. Looking at the ERSJFA constitution, no boundaries to the region are mentioned, so it would seem to be a question of whether the existing clubs would be willing to accept the travel. Surely relatively near clubs like Thorniewood, Wishaw, Carluke and Lanark would be accepted. Despite what has been said about wanting to provide a choice, at the moment these clubs seem to be faced with no real option of playing in a  junior league. It’s either join the new WOS pyramid league(s) or go amateur.

Flexible thinking indeed - are you also suggesting that Harthill and Fauldhouse should be able to join the WoSFL if they wish to progress within the Pyramid?

Edited by Pyramidic

1 hour ago, RedEd said:

I think with the manager asking the Thorniewood United committee about the pyramid and them stating they are staying junior is just typical of the attitude of many in the junior game.  There are many teams like that, some who have even already applied for the new WOS but it is what it is and they are just junior through and through but with no vision as I'm sure they just thought things would never change.

If it was 30/40 years ago its fine but times change, less people playing football, youth teams folding as they don't have enough lads staying in football.  if you want to stay alive you need to have an open mind, a vision and try to progress.  You don't, eventually time will catch up with you and you will not be able to adapt.

I have no qualms if any team doesn't want to join the senior ranks or pyramid, whatever way they think of it. Its up to them and whatever decision they make they just have to deal with the consequences while others get on with their futures.

e

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread

I assume the clubs applying for WoSFL will in turn be resigning from the WRJFA? Therefore, any clubs that decide to remain are still in the WRJFA which continues to run with a much reduced membership?

The current list of 40 clubs that propose to join the WoSFL:

1. Clydebank (SJFA West Region Premiership)

2. Kilwinning Rangers (SJFA West Region Premiership)

3. Rutherglen Glencairn (SJFA West Region Premiership)

4. Bellshill Athletic (SJFA West League One)

5. Drumchapel United (Central Scottish Amateur Premier Division)

6. Neilston Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

7. Maryhill (SJFA West League One)

8. Kello Rovers (SJFA West League One)

9. Blantyre Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

10. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (SJFA West Region Premiership)

11. Vale of Clyde (SJFA West League Two)

12. Renfrew (SJFA West Region Championship)

13. Royal Albert (SJFA West League One)

14. Arthurlie (SJFA West Region Championship)

15. Newmains United (SJFA West League Two)

16. Kilsyth Rangers (SJFA West Region Championship)

17. Whitletts Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

18. Gartcairn Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

19. Cambuslang Rangers  (SJFA West Region Championship)

20. Cumbernauld United (SJFA West Region Championship)

21. Glasgow Perthshire (SJFA West League One)

22. Ashfield (SJFA West League Two)

23. Petershill (SJFA West Region Championship)

24. Greenock Juniors (SJFA West League One)

25. Larkhall Thistle (SJFA West League One)

26. Port Glasgow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

27. Pollok (SJFA West Region Premiership)

28. Darvel Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

29. Vale of Leven (SJFA West League Two)

30. Glenafton Athletic (SJFA West Region Premiership)

31. Johnstone Burgh (SJFA West League Two)

32. Auchinleck Talbot (SJFA West Region Premiership)

33. Largs Thistle (SJFA West Region Premiership)

34. Kilbirnie Ladeside (SJFA West Region Premiership)

35. Troon (SJFA West Region Premiership)

36. Irvine Meadow XI (SJFA West Region Premiership)

37. Beith Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership) 

38. Shotts Bon Accord (SJFA West Region Championship)

39.  Forth Wanderers (SJFA West League Two)

40. Muirkirk Juniors (SJFA West League Two)

SJFA West Region Premiership (12 clubs)

Auchinleck Talbot; Beith Juniors; Benburb; Clydebank; Cumnock Juniors; Glenafton Athletic; Hurlford United; Irvine Meadow; Kilbirnie Ladeside; Kilwinning Rangers; Kirkintilloch Rob Roy; Largs Thistle; Pollok; Rossvale; Rutherglen Glencairn; Troon

SJFA West Region Championship (12 clubs)

Arthurlie; Blantyre Victoria; Cambuslang Rangers; Craigmark Burntonians; Cumbernauld United; Dalry Thistle; Darvel Juniors; Gartcairn Juniors; Irvine Victoria; Kilsyth Rangers; Neilston Juniors; Petershill; Renfrew; Shotts Bon Accord; St Roch's; Whitletts Victoria

SJFA West Region League One (8 clubs)

Ardrossan Winton Rovers; Bellshill Athletic; Carluke Rovers; East Kilbride Thistle; Girvan; Glasgow Perthshire; Greenock Juniors; Kello Rovers; Lanark United; Larkhall Thistle; Lesmahagow; Maryhill; Port Glasgow; Royal Albert; Shettleston; Wishaw Juniors

SJFA West Region League Two (7 clubs)

Annbank United; Ardeer Thistle; Ashfield; Forth Wanderers; Johnstone Burgh; Lugar Boswell Thistle; Maybole Juniors; Muirkirk Juniors; Newmains United; Saltcoats Victoria; St Anthony's; Thorniewood United; Vale of Clyde; Vale of Leven; Yoker Athletic

South of Scotland League (0 clubs)

Abbey Vale; Bonnyton Thistle; Caledonian Braves Res; Creetown; Heston Rovers; Lochar Thistle; Lochmaben; Mid-Annandale; Newton Stewart; Nithsdale Wanderers; St Cuthbert Wanderers; Stranraer Res; Threave Rovers; Upper Annandale; Wigtown & Bladnoch

Amateurs (1 club)

Drumchapel United PYM; Glasgow University; Oban Saints; Strathclyde University

More applicants to follow to be added to the growing list! Awaiting official announcement from Kilbirnie Ladeside.

Edited by Pyramidic