Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 hours ago, Dev said:

I have included Kilbirnie Ladeside in view of the Gordon Ronney newspaper interview. Also one which was announced back on 23rd March. Troon. It's quite a read:

http://troonfootballclub.co.uk/new-wosfl/

New West of Scotland League

23rd March 2020

As all of our supporters who attended the “Supporter’s Day” on 14th March and who buy our matchday programme will no doubt know, Junior football is set for possibly the biggest summer of change in it’s 134 year history.

A new “West of Scotland Football League” (WoSFL) is currently being formed for this summer under the auspices of the Lowland League, which will sit below the Lowland League (and alongside the South of Scotland League & the East of Scotland League) at Tier 6 of the Scottish Football Pyramid.

We had intended to hold a Club E.G.M. , but this obviously isn’t an option at this present time & so the club’s committee have acted upon the response from the floor at the recent “Supporter’s Day” on the 14th March.

As a result, Troon Football Club have submitted our application to join the new West of Scotland Football League. We will now form part of the Scottish Football Pyramid System and fulfill what we as a Club voted for two years ago. We believe this is a significant step forward, both on and off the pitch, with exciting times ahead for everyone connected with the club.

We are, without doubt, living in unprecedented times during the worldwide spread of the corona-virus, but once circumstances return to a sense of normality (whenever that may be) it is our intention to hold a further supporter’s meeting to inform everyone of our ideas & plans for the future in this new league.

FAQs

Considering how much mis-information we have seen out there regarding the new league & the pyramid system, we thought it pertinent to include some Frequently Asked Questions to keep all supporters & players updated of all developments:

How will the pyramid be made up?

The Scottish Football Pyramid is currently structured in the following tiers:

1. Scottish Premiership

2. Scottish Championship

3. Scottish League One

4. Scottish League Two

5. Lowland League | Highland League

6. South of Scotland League | East of Scotland League

The new West of Scotland League will take it’s place at tier 6, alongside the South of Scotland League & the East of Scotland League.

Who will run the new League?

The new WOSFL is being formed by the Lowland League, with some assistance from the East of Scotland League & the South of Scotland League.

Once the league is officially set-up, and clubs have joined, it will be the responsibility of the member clubs to appoint a new management committee to govern and handle it’s affairs.

Is this a Junior League?

This is a brand new league, and is a new body. It will not be run by the Scottish Junior FA.

How many teams will be in the League?

At this stage – we don’t know for certain. The deadline for entries is Tuesday 7th April, after which we will know for sure how many teams will be participating.

But with 54+ teams from the Junior leagues signing a declaration to move across, it will be full of familiar names to us.

There have also been a number of current East & South-based teams to have shown an interest, as well as some of the top amateur sides, so there will be plenty of fresh impetus into proceedings.

Will teams be “cherry-picked” to join?

No, there is no limit to the number of teams that will be accepted to the new league.

With regards to compliance of ground criteria guidelines, the Leagues will work with Clubs with the expectation that necessary steps will be made over time. 

How will the leagues be structured?

Again, this is still to be confirmed. And this can’t really be set in stone until after the deadline has closed for entries & we know the exact number of participating teams.

There have been calls from the West Region SJFA to maintain the current four leagues structure, which would mean the WOSFL would provide:

Tier 6: Premiership
Tier 7: Championship
Tier 8: League One
Tier 9: League Two

But this structure would be complicated by the fellow new entries from teams outwith Junior football; and with this being a new entity, should previous Junior standings really be relevant?

The most likely suggestion coming from the Lowland League, is that clubs will be split into equal conferences, in exactly the same way the East of Scotland set-up accommodated the influx of Junior teams from the ERSJFA a few years ago.

How will these Conferences be set-up?

There are a few options in terms of seeding the clubs or even organising geographically, all of which can be looked at seriously once the number of participants are 100% confirmed. Further dialogue will take place then.

The Conferences will be for one season only, with the target of producing a 16 team Premier League for the following season.

For instance: if we have 4 equal conferences next season, then the top 4 clubs will be promoted to form a 16-team Premier League for season 2021/22.

Given the current suspension of football, this may (accidentally) be a good way of starting up next season, as it doesn’t strictly require this season to have been played to a finish before seeding for the conferences.

How will promotion from tier 6 work?

At the moment, there will be one side promoted every season from tier 6 into the Lowland League at tier 5. Currently, that is decided by way of a play-off between the winners of the South of Scotland League & the East of Scotland League. That will now become a 3-way play-off to include the WOSFL winners.

In year 1, there will be a play-ff between the winners of the conferences first before the promotion play-off can take place, but as said above that is only for one season.

As only licenced clubs are permitted access to the Lowland League, non-licenced clubs will be omitted from any play-off process.

Will clubs be resigning from the SJFA then?

Not necessarily, it is certainly not essential to do so.

Some clubs will resign if they wish, but clubs joining the new WOSFL are permitted to remain as members of the Scottish Junior Football Association as well as members of the new League.

This means the Macron Scottish Junior Cup will continue as planned next season, and will be open to all member clubs. Which may even include teams who had previously left Junior football re-subscribing to partake once more in this historic competition. The Competition Rules of the Scottish Junior Cup will be altered to reflect the need to ensure League Fixtures have priority.

Will clubs in the WOSFL play in the “big” Scottish Cup?

All clubs who hold an SFA Club Licence are eligible to partake in the William Hill Scottish Cup.

At the moment, of the clubs who have noted interest in the WOSFL, there are only a few clubs currently with licences. But, this is expected to rise considerably in the coming few seasons.

What is the remaining timescale for the WOSFL?

• 7th April – Close of application process

• Mid-April – Conference set-up expected to be confirmed

• Start of May – completed league proposal goes to SFA for review

• Start of June – SFA AGM, where WOSFL is expected to get approval

Any other questions?

If there’s anything you want to ask that hasn’t been detailed here, please contact us via email on: info@troonfootballclub.co.uk and we’ll try our best to answer it for you!

Top marks to Troon.

The clearest, most unambiguous, informative factual statement ive seen yet.

19 minutes ago, Dev said:

It will be a new set-up so, in future, why should Premiership and Championship clubs have any say in what happens at the current League 1 and 2 level?

It's the clubs at the lower levels which will be those directly affected so let them vote on what they want. If they choose to regionalise then that's fair enough, likewise if they come up with something along the lines of one division per Tier.

Regionalised lowest divisions would make the transition up from the Amateur/Youth levels easier i.e. encourages the pyramid to function as a link as opposed to a glass ceiling!  

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:
20 minutes ago, Dev said:
It will be a new set-up so, in future, why should Premiership and Championship clubs have any say in what happens at the current League 1 and 2 level?
It's the clubs at the lower levels which will be those directly affected so let them vote on what they want. If they choose to regionalise then that's fair enough, likewise if they come up with something along the lines of one division per Tier.
Regionalised lowest divisions would make the transition up from the Amateur/Youth levels easier i.e. encourages the pyramid to function as a link as opposed to a glass ceiling!  

It's a whole new set up, teams all start on an equal footing and there is no guarantee who will end up where after the first season of conferences. Even beyond that teams will drop down the way, of course they should have a say in what the overall set up is. The LL have made it clear that all decisions will be democratic, and it's one club one vote.

12 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Can't see how you're ever going to have changes put through for a league where only some members are allowed to vote?

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Everyone in the EoS got a vote in how their league structure will evolve once they were voting members. Everything has the potential to impact them as well since promotion and relegation works both ways.

I agree one member one vote should be the guiding principle, although it would be hoped that all clubs would listen to the concerns of those most directly affected.

Interestingly, in the case of the WRSJFA restructuring, it was the lower-division clubs involved in the preliminary discussions who argued most strongly  for 4 all-in divisions!

2 hours ago, Footballfirst said:

I think that it would be better to have conferences at tier 8 going forward.  The essence of a pyramid is that it gets wider towards the lower levels.  Creating WOSFL  and EOSFL "towers" extending from tier 6 to tier 9 seems an unnecessary hierarchy. 

Creating a tier 9 would make the "pyramid" look more like a cigar.

T1 - Prem

T2 - Champ

T3 - L1

T4 - L2

T5 - HL / LL

T6- WOS P / EOS P / SOS

T7 - WOS C / EOS C

T8 - WOS L1 / EOS L1

T9 - WOS L2 / EOS L2

Adding the NRJFA and NCL would only serve to bloat tiers 6 and 7 

Football pyramids generally taper back in at the bottom, as there are different numbers of clubs in different regions. In Scotland, north of Inverness or south of Moffat, it's unlikely to go deeper than T6. In the Central Belt it can easily go down to T9.

1 hour ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Top marks to Troon.

The clearest, most unambiguous, informative factual statement ive seen yet.

Just checked their website and they also include a great visual pyramid there with logos and the number of matches played each season by different parts of the pyramid.  The big hole in it is that the new WOSL has no logo as yet.  Its quite clear from this thread that nobody including me, has thought of this very important issue.    So my thought is simple, just take the EOSL change the E to W and change the colour in the logo to something else.

You can tell im getting more bored at home here

33 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

Just checked their website and they also include a great visual pyramid there with logos and the number of matches played each season by different parts of the pyramid.  The big hole in it is that the new WOSL has no logo as yet.  Its quite clear from this thread that nobody including me, has thought of this very important issue.    So my thought is simple, just take the EOSL change the E to W and change the colour in the logo to something else.

You can tell im getting more bored at home here

You're not the only one. MozzaPlays on twitter / BorntoRun on here? had a wee go when it looked like it was becoming a reality.

4 minutes ago, Cornishman said:

I was absolutely sure they did. Remember being impressed by the thoughtfulness.

LL16 Hawick Royal Albert A
EoS2 Lothian Thistle HV B
EoS3 Preston Athletic C
EoS4 Leith Athletic A
EoS5 Tynecastle B
EoS6 Heriot-Watt University C
EoS7 Peebles Rovers A
EoS8 Burntisland Shipyard B
EoS9 University of Stirling EoS C
EoS10 Coldstream A
EoS11 Eyemouth United B
EoS12 Ormiston C
EoS13 Tweedmouth Rangers A
SL1 Bonnyrigg Rose B
SL2 Linlithgow Rose C
SL3 Penicuik Athletic A
SL4 Dundonald Bluebell B
SL5 Broxburn Athletic C
SL7 Hill of Beath Hawthorn A
SL8 Bo'ness United B
SL9 Camelon Juniors C
SL11 Newtongrange Star A
SL13 Sauchie Juniors B
SL14 Jeanfield Swifts C
PL1 Musselburgh Athletic A
PL3 Haddington Athletic B
PL5 Blackburn United C
PL7 Dunbar United A
PL8 Tranent Juniors B
PL11 St Andrews United C
PL12 Arniston Rangers A
PL14 Dalkeith Thistle B
SD3 Edinburgh United C
SD4 Oakley United A
SD7 Crossgates Primrose B
SD9 Craigroyston C
SD11 Easthouses Lily MW A
C211 Dunipace B
Youth Inverkeithing Hillfield Swifts C

Assuming they go with 4 conferences initially would they then just look to replicate the juniors with 4 tiers?  I see the East had 3 but now a premier and 2 conference below that but looking at tables on wiki no plan to change it next year whether 3 tiers or regionalise below top of east. 

Just now, honestman54 said:

Havent you been reading the previous posts?  There are teams from outside the Juniors so they cant replicate the what the West Juniors already have.  The EOS clubs voted to keep the EOS Premier and the two conferences for next season and developing a Division 1 the following season.

I didn't mean replicate next season I meant the eventual plan to over a few years turn 4 conferences into 4 tiers gradually. I missed the east part. 

8 minutes ago, grazza said:

Assuming they go with 4 conferences initially would they then just look to replicate the juniors with 4 tiers?  I see the East had 3 but now a premier and 2 conference below that but looking at tables on wiki no plan to change it next year whether 3 tiers or regionalise below top of east. 

The EOSFL clubs voted to delay dispensing with the conferences until season 2021/21.  Apparently is was a close vote on the date, with many clubs looking to dispense with conferences in season 2020/21.

With the influx of at least another 8 teams (mainly from Fife) for next season, the decision to retain conferences for another season does offer a final opportunity for clubs to join at just one level below the EOSFL Premier League.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, grazza said:

I didn't mean replicate next season I meant the eventual plan to over a few years turn 4 conferences into 4 tiers gradually. I missed the east part. 

I suppose ultimately it depends on how many apply this season and again next season.  Clearly with more than 48 teams they have to llok at a 5th division of sorts.

3 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

I suppose ultimately it depends on how many apply this season and again next season.  Clearly with more than 48 teams they have to llok at a 5th division of sorts.

It wouldn't let me edit my previous comment.  I of course meant 64 teams, not 48.