Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

Which is fine enough in year one except for Girvan and Banks O'Dee since it doesn't look like there will be any qualifiers from the Juniors in 2020-21. In subsequent years it becomes a problem with more teams becoming licenced and playing the early rounds.

Then maybe it's one or other? The West Region scaled back their cup schedule and adding more (South Challenge Cup) is going to be a headache - for a team expecting a run in both you're looking at 5+ additional matches. The binning of the Sectional (hopefully!) will free up space though.

21 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Then maybe it's one or other? The West Region scaled back their cup schedule and adding more (South Challenge Cup) is going to be a headache - for a team expecting a run in both you're looking at 5+ additional matches. The binning of the Sectional (hopefully!) will free up space though.

I think the Sectional has to go. Certainly in the first year when there's going to be some sort of shortened start to the season. Conferences gives some of the smaller clubs the same benefit anyway in that first year.

The SCC and a League Cup are the only ones that have been mentioned for the WoS, so it should be possible to find dates for the SJC, if the east and north regions agree to league games taking priority, no replays and having the dates for it set by the LL/EoS/SoS fixture secretary.

1 minute ago, LongTimeLurker said:

The SCC and a League Cup are the only ones that have been mentioned for the WoS, so it should be possible to find dates for the SJC, if the east and north regions agree to league games taking priority, no replays and having the dates for it set by the LL/EoS/SoS fixture secretary.

It's a big if though...once the new league is formed, I wonder how many teams will come to think there are too many complications to overcome to still retain an interest in the one cup.

I suspect there will be quite a few clubs who will resign from the SJFA once the new league is up and running, perhaps feeling it's better to enter something wholeheartedly rather than hedge their bets and keep a foot in both camps.

Having said that, initially I can see a majority of former junior clubs - especially the more reluctant applicants - retaining membership in the SJFA for the first couple of years and only gradually drifting away if it becomes problematic.

Daily Record news item

“Rangers chief Dunbar confirmed the North Lanarkshire side were one of the clubs and said it was best for both the SJFA and the clubs.

He said: "The West Region are encouraging all junior clubs to take part in the Scottish Junior Cup still but the reality is there will be no West Region Junior FA.

"Previously you had to resign your SJFA membership if you wanted to take up a position in the Lowland League or one of the tiers, but that is no longer the case.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/kilsyth-rangers-back-junior-game-21754564

Edited by Pyramidic

It’ll be this week, the members and fans we’d talked to casually prior to putting in the application (and before the lockdown) were happy to move on without the SJFA, as the only option at that time was to resign from the SJFA and join a new league, we still haven’t received anything from the SJFA regarding rule changes about dual association membership and cup participation and haven’t heard from the Lowland League regarding the formation the Scottish Junior Cup will take within the WOSFL, The East and North Juniors need to ok it, rules need changed and an AGM needs to happen to achieve all that. 
We’d already made our plans long before the WRJFA made any compromises with the Lowland League and the committee don’t see any benefit in continuing the SJFA membership when only several weeks ago our representative at the PWG said no West clubs were interested in Pyramid football, our goal is to become a licensed club within the SFA structure.
I don't really see the need for staying in the SJFA. The junior cup is massively devalued now and the bigger clubs in the East aren't going to re-join the SJFA just to play in a competition that they don't have time to accommodate. If everyone in the West is moving to the WOS league anyway then I imagine there will be a WOS cup equivalent, which the junior cup essentially is these days anyway.

7 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

It's a big if though...once the new league is formed, I wonder how many teams will come to think there are too many complications to overcome to still retain an interest in the one cup.

I suspect there will be quite a few clubs who will resign from the SJFA once the new league is up and running, perhaps feeling it's better to enter something wholeheartedly rather than hedge their bets and keep a foot in both camps.

Having said that, initially I can see a majority of former junior clubs - especially the more reluctant applicants - retaining membership in the SJFA for the first couple of years and only gradually drifting away if it becomes problematic.

I think you'll see a solid mix in the first year. But you're going to have those clubs focused on licencing and that means in the second season you've got the Scottish Cup and South Challenge Cup early in the calendar. You probably don't want to set aside a 3rd Saturday in August and 3rd Saturday in September for another cup game you might be in.

If the season started the first Saturday in August and this is doubtful as Clubs want to play a few friendlies first. Will we be back for July? And the League has to finish by the last Saturday in April that is 9 months or 39/40 Saturdays. Add 4 midweek dates in August but deduct 4 Saturdays for bad weather.

If there are 4 Conferences of 17 teams and 32 League games and  if there are 3 Cup competitions, SJC, SCC and WOS and all have a minimum of 2 rounds scheduled, which doesn't take them that deep into the latter rounds, last 32, 32,16 this only leaves 1/2 other Saturdays available.

This doesn't take into account the Senior Scottish Cup as I don't think there will be any West entrants this year apart from Girvan. I am assuming the League Cup will be scrapped.

Cup ties and play offs can be scheduled 2 games a week in May but no doubt successful Clubs will be involved in 2 or 3 of the Cups. Doesn't fit for me.

If the season doesn't start until September then 4 Saturdays and 4 midweek fixtures are lost. 

A decision on Conference sizes has to be made depending on when/if the season actually starts. 

If the season doesn't start until September can the 30th April end date for League games be pushed back? Of course depends on LL. 

Edited by the rambler

Surely the junior cup isnt viable. Too many other fixtures take precedent over it now. Also the LL fixtures guy probably wont set dates for the sjfa run cup, it'll be the sjfa fixture man, and if the chosen date coincides with a wosfl league game or LL run cup, clubs will most likely find the junior cup game put to midweek.

The guy is the biggest pain on P&B. NB who is regular on Whitehill Welfare thread gets red dots with every post he writes. I’ve had a number since I questioned questioned about it.

No crime, but I wish he was banned from P&B for a wee time of about 10 years!

He's still at it. I think my crime was not paying him any attention and ignoring his posts. He doesn't like that. He needs dealt with by the moderators or some help.

3 minutes ago, Blackie Gold said:

Better check the Talbot website.

PYRAMID SYSTEM UPDATE – ATFC

Auchinleck Talbot FC has lodged an application with the Lowland League for membership of the proposed new West of Scotland Football League. The Club will also retain membership of the Scottish Junior Football Association enabling our continued participation in the Scottish Junior Cup Competition. We would have preferred to have met with our fans before this action, however due to the current Coronavirus situation this was not possible, we will however make information available as we receive it.

Henry Dumigan

6 minutes ago, Junior Pub League said:

Auchinleck,GRADE TRAITORS! SCUM!

Will all those  twats on here stop supporting them now they've confirmed they are going senior?

To be fair to Talbot fans (that hurt to say) few have went full Armadale. Just shown scepticism but still open to the idea

4 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

To be fair to Talbot fans (that hurt to say) few have went full Armadale. Just shown scepticism but still open to the idea

...you never go full Armadale. Suspect we'll see more Ayrshire announcements now Talbot and Glenafton have been confirmed. Cumnock won't be far behind.

Isabel Goudie’s been at it on Facebook - and been doing the “Pie and Bovril shared a private message” shtick too.

Largs Thistle, Auchinleck Talbot and Kilbirnie Ladeside.

The extract from a newspaper article below doesn't say Kilbirnie Ladeside has actually applied but it leaves no doubt about their intentions. See the link from the newspaper report about Kilsyth Rangers:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-pyramid-masterplan-agreed-juniors-21753119

Kilbirnie Ladeside were one of the driving forces behind Junior clubs being allowed to retain membership of the SJFA in the new set-up.

Spokesman Gordon Ronney was central to the talks. And he said: “Kilbirnie have said from day one that we were pro-pyramid. That’s where we need to be to progress as a club.

“We need to be part of the structure of Scottish football. We also believe we need to keep our heritage and that lies within the junior association.

“You should never forget where you come from but that doesn’t mean you don’t buy into other ideas.

“There was a gap in the pyramid in the west and hopefully we plug that gap.

“Kilbirnie were formed in 1901 and I have always maintained we are only temporary custodians. We can’t make rash decisions that jeopardises that history.

“I am confident we have achieved that. We will add value to the SFA’s masterplan I firmly believe that.

“Over time the stronger west clubs will work their way through the system and push people at SPFL League 2 to get in that door.”

Edited by Dev
corrected