Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Only because I think that may think it better to remain as a big fish in their own pond than swimming over the dam into a loch filled with even bigger fish.
Or in the case of Bonnyton, leaving a tier 6 league where they could end up in a 3 way play-off to join tier 6 conferences where they'd need to win a 4 way play-off to get into the 3 way play-off. Which might also once the 1st season is over see them at tier 9 if things go badly for them. That's why.

It's also possible (although maybe unlikely) that current West Premier teams could end up in tier 9 as well.

3 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Only because I think that may think it better to remain as a big fish in their own pond than swimming over the dam into a loch filled with even bigger fish.

Ah. Auchinleck syndrome.

Well it's six and two threes for any amateur teams. Going in with the big fish worked out well for Inverkeithing in the end and, alright, a few early hammerings but didn't disgrace themselves and I'm sure the bigger crowds they received helped them in the long run. If a club would rather wait a year until the conferences end so they go in at the bottom tier and something closer to their level they can do so obviously but I think just as many would be keen for the big games and to get in ASAP

3 hours ago, G4Mac said:

Dunipace.

There is nothing like the smell of burning wood and someone sending smoke signals in the second half to remind you of what level of football you play......then the fire brigade arrive.....

There are some strange people around...

Like the infamous case of the old biddy who bought a former level crossing keeper's cottage on the Far North Line a few years back ......then...yep, you've guessed it....complained about the noise of the trains.....

Think you will find if you want to check your facts that most of the necessary funding was raised through the Club and the Beechwood Regeneration Committee. Further checks will show that most if not all of the Clubs who have now got new 4G facilities, incl new grounds, and/or floodlights, not only in the West Region, have all been supported by the local authorities.

How much did the council fund the team that have been rolling in cash for years?

6 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

You just may get more planning objections. That's what would stop it.

I don't doubt there will probably be objections, though if it complies with local planning policy, environmental health regulations and has a curfew - it's unlikely it won't be approved either by a planning officer (if only a few objections) or at committee.

4 hours ago, Junior Pub League said:

At least one EOS club that put up their lights didn't require to  put in planning permission for the lights - its somewhere in the forum.

That would be Camelon. Dundonald put their lights up but have since applied for retrospective permission.

17 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Or in the case of Bonnyton, leaving a tier 6 league where they could end up in a 3 way play-off to join tier 6 conferences where they'd need to win a 4 way play-off to get into the 3 way play-off. Which might also once the 1st season is over see them at tier 9 if things go badly for them. That's why.

You're describing Bonnyton as if they're some superpower in the South of Scotland League pushing to get into the Lowland League, when they're actually 4th and don't yet have a licence. So they're not that likely to get into the 3 way LL play-off anyway, let alone being able to win a WOS conference.

But they are based in Kilmarnock which means the WOS would be much better for travel. And while they aren't tier 6 quality, there's no way they are as bad as tier 9.

Perhaps the new WOS committee will regionalise tier 8 or 9 so that amateur teams like Oban or even the remaining SoS clubs would be more likely to join...

8 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Perhaps the new WOS committee will regionalise tier 8 or 9 so that amateur teams like Oban or even the remaining SoS clubs would be more likely to join...

Surely unlikely, as the current WRSJFA leagues are just short of 2 years into a DE-regionalised version of the equivalent of tiers  8 & 9, which was overwhelmingly voted in by the clubs!

39 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Do you know that promotion to the Lowland League is their end goal? This is their 3rd season in the SoSFL and they still aren't licenced. Edusport Academy joined the SoSFL because they had been rejected from the Lowland League and so the SoSFL became their fastest route to get there.

Could it be that they have different priorities?

image.png.f71961d0c2006fcdfe96576250cd49c2.png

That one of those priorities was to enter the SoSFL to provide a player pathway into Senior football, but also gain access to the Lowland u20 league.

They're also about to get a number of clubs relatively close by them that will have u20s and youth teams on their mind now. So joining the WoSFL could help retain or recruit players as its about to become the most well known league in the area.

image.png.1dc10f1de9e572625d5340e7944c5131.png

4 minutes ago, archieb said:

Surely unlikely, as the current WRSJFA leagues are just short of 2 years into a DE-regionalised version of the equivalent of tiers  8 & 9, which was overwhelmingly voted in by the clubs!

Drumpchapel United and the WRSJFA makes 64. There's the possibility of other clubs coming applying as well. The 4x Division model might not be suitable in 2020-21.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:
  • Rothesay = Never seen before on here
  • Oban Saints = Get mentioned because they already travel into the Glasgow area for amateurs and are meant to have a decent enough ground.
  • Glasgow University = Due to being existing SFA members.
  • Strathclyde University = After a couple of years of hypothetical scenarios around Glasgow Uni joining the pyramid, some people seem to have added Strathclyde to the mix.
  • Bonnyton Thistle = Only one I have any faith in applying since they aren't amateurs like the rest and could see some greater benefit in joining the WoSFL over the SoSFL.

Saints usually play home games at Glencruitten which is a public park. It could be upgraded though.

The shinty stadium (Mossfield) is next door and is a horrible venue to watch football at because of the pitch size (a wee bit Fort Williamy). The stand is a bit rustic as well!

But bring it on - my nearest non-amateur team is 90 mins away! I very occasionally watch Saints. Reliable kick off time and a proper half time would be a nice change!

Mossfield

image.png.9606b015fbb586e6b361e1c41afecaee.png

Glencruitten

image.thumb.png.6e83c7ab126702c6699bc475819497a3.png

Edited by cmontheloknow

30 minutes ago, archieb said:

Maybe unlikely, but it's a fresh start and the perfect 64 divided by 4 scenario of two seasons ago might not last much longer.

I recall Tommy Sloan on the Juniors podcast saying there was a lot more travel for his local club Annbank (e.g. going to Forth), so maybe the smaller clubs will want to bring the regional split back when you have to adjust the leagues anyway?

Edited by Ginaro

Have seen it claimed on here that Glasgow Uni put in an expression of interest but Strathclyde Uni din't. We've also had a poster claim that about 5 D&G SoS clubs were interested, and there has been some speculation about Harthill Royal given they are a literal stone's throw from Lanarkshire.

1 hour ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

There are some strange people around...

Like the infamous case of the old biddy who bought a former level crossing keeper's cottage on the Far North Line a few years back ......then...yep, you've guessed it....complained about the noise of the trains.....

That makes me think of the people living near the runway of Amsterdam Schiphol Airport who sued the airport for noise of low flying planes shortly after they bought their homes. Safe to say they lost their case...

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

1. Maybe unlikely, but it's a fresh start and the perfect 64 divided by 4 scenario of two seasons ago might not last much longer.

2. I recall Tommy Sloan on the Juniors podcast saying there was a lot more travel for his local club Annbank (e.g. going to Forth), so maybe the smaller clubs will want to bring the regional split back when you have to adjust the leagues anyway?

1. All dependent on how many of the 63 (+DU etc) make the move

2. When restructuring was being negotiated, the strongest objection to regionalisation as I recall was that in order to balance numbers E&W or N&S the geographical dividing line had to go through Glasgow, splitting traditional rivals with half traveling to Ayrshire and half to Lanarkshire. There was more opposition to that than to the extra travel.