Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I think Rob Roy will be the first ever team from East Dunbartonshire to play in a senior league. I think that would leave Argyll & Bute, Na h-Eileanan Siar (Western Isles), Shetland and Orkney as the only ones who have still never had a team in a senior league.

Incorrect.

Orkney FC play in the North Caledonian League.

NCL champions in 2017/18.

Edited by Robert James
post sent in error before completed

8 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Not to mention the Record itself up to its usual poor standards of accuracy about anything not related to the ugly sisters, describing the WSOL as the "final" piece of the jigsaw. Try telling that to Tayside.

Tbf  it did say 'final piece of the jigsaw' for the Lowland League.

8 hours ago, Cameron Wilson said:

Not to mention the Record itself up to its usual poor standards of accuracy about anything not related to the ugly sisters, describing the WSOL as the "final" piece of the jigsaw. Try telling that to Tayside.

Not that I'm suggesting that the Record doesn't generally spout plenty of pish !

It does it on daily basis.

6 hours ago, Beenzon-Toste said:
8 hours ago, glensmad said:
"Everybody wanted pyramid" eh ? Really ?

I think we all know that's just utter nonsense.

Who didn't?

Why do you keep persisting with this ?

How many times does it have to be pointed out to you that 17 WRJFA clubs did not express a Note of Interest before the requisite deadline ?

'Ah fancy joining that new fangled league thingy, but ah'll no bother ma erse tae apply fur it' said no one ever.

6 hours ago, Beenzon-Toste said:

Happy for you to believe that spin if it suits you.
The WRSJFA also got exactly what it wanted, ALL clubs in together. SJFA membership for those that want it and entry to the Scottish Junior Cup again for those that want to participate in it. The fact that they are advocating that their own positions disappear shows how much it means to them.

Jeez, I'm astounded that Alistair Campbell is on a Scottish fitba forum.

More spin than the spinniest Spinny thing being ultra Spinny on a particularly Spinny day.

6 hours ago, glensmad said:

If the WRSJFA got exactly what they wanted, why didn't they just ask for that in the first place ? They could have gone to the LL and asked, "if all our clubs apply, could they retain SJFA membership and play in the Scottish Junior Cup ?" The answer they would have got would have been the one they now have, i.e. "we have no problem with that, it's an issue for the SJFA to sort out."

Instead we had an "extra General Meeting" where there were suggestions from the top table that the clubs shun the LL-WoSFL information meeting and instead gather on the steps of Hampden in a show of strength and support for the juniors, with media friends being called to publicise it. There were veiled threats of legal action, there were "declarations" requested to be signed and so on and so on.

Why didn't they just ask for what they've got now, and save us all the bother of the past two or three weeks ?

Exactly.

Shit loads of waffling, gesturing and testosterone fuelled 'power games' by some for hee haw result.

End result is...if you wanna join the WoS, apply.

Same as it was a few weeks ago.

5 hours ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Let’s not sugar coat this the WRJFA dropped their trousers and gave the LL/EoSL/SoSL everything they wanted. This notion about everyone in is rubbish, they’re only in if they apply. Retaining SJFA membership is a red herring as this was never an issue, not for the LL anyway. The Scottish Junior Cup is an interesting one as there is a caveat which was agreed to by the WRJFA, that Junior members can participate providing league matches are prioritised. On that one I assume it will need to be ratified by the SJFA members at their AGM and they could veto it. So I’m struggling to see exactly what the WRJFA did apart from create uncertainty amongst its own members.

Spot on, as is @glensmad.

The reason I've praised Gordon Ronney is the fact that he was willing to make things work by commiting to changes. He, unlike TJ and the SJFA, was able to get things over the line without splits and/or unnecessary arguments.

3 hours ago, glensmad said:

I'm speaking personally here, as we haven't discussed at Glencairn yet whether we wish to keep playing in the Scottish Junior Cup.

I just don't see what the fuss is about keeping the SJC, and why it was so important. I also don't see where it could possibly be fitted into the calendar with the other competitions which would take priority over it.

I may be proved wrong here, but I suspect that there has been a huge over-estimate of the clubs' love for the SJC, and several if not many may just not bother entering.

The junioristas wanted a bike so they asked for a pony. They didn't get the pony. They're not getting the bike either. They're happy with the stickers so let them enjoy the stickers. 

I'm being facetious really, it's peace in our time and it's not time for gloating. Personally I'd be happy to see Linlithgow Rose back in the Junior Cup. I've seen us win it three times and they were fantastic days ending in open-top bus parades on the High Street, three times round the cross. Things will settle down from here.

Great to see the west joining pyramid. Wonder if SJFA will put restriction on how far a team can be in the pyramid and play in the cup or we could see in a few years a league 1 team putting  out their reserves for a midweek cup game.. Junior cup should be retained but turned into truly national cup for all within the pyramid below the SPFL as well as North Juniors and North Caledonian leagues if they wish to take part.

12 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Its entirely down to the SJFA.

The EoSFL/EOSFA will probably look for the exact same thing that the WOSFL is looking for and that's their own fixtures prioritised. So league games, South Challenge Cup, Qualifying Cup, League Cup, Alex Jack Cup, King Cup. If you can fit the Junior Cup around that have at it.

Now there is the EoS precendent of some of the old SoS sides not playing in the EoSFA competitions, instead continuing to play in the Southern Counties Cup instead. That still leaves you with league, South Challenge Cup and League Cup ahead of the Junior Cup.

Junior Cup will never fit in among that plethora of cups.

11 hours ago, PastyMan said:

Just a thought but would lower ranked current WRSJFA sides maybe decide to sit out the Conference season and remain Junior for next season and then be quite comfortable joining the WoSL at the lowest tier in the following season?

A sensible idea for those clubs who dont want a severe thrashing every other week for an entire season.

11 hours ago, patriot1 said:

8 out of 70 have applied to the EOS. I suspect they can't have resigned from the SJFA yet as the season hasn't officially finished so will they want/be allowed to keep their membership. 

Some/all of those 8 have stated their intention to resign publicly.

10 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Some/all of those 8 have stated their intention to resign publicly.

You're right but that was before agreement was reached which I assume would allow them to retain their membership. 

If uefa can rename their big tourneys im pretty sure the sfa could bring the two big non league trophies (sjc, challenge cup) together and make what would imo be a prestigious trophy for the whole of scotland. This would surely pull in a good sponsorship deal aswell.