Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

4 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Junior Cup has far higher profile - live TV coverage since the 70s (?), 5 figure crowds in finals until recent times etc. Not sure that is the debate here though. SRCC is a smaller competition that has raised in profile with the influx of new clubs.

Am not debating anything.you called another cup crap, then asked for a new competion to replace both.it had a big enough profile before the influx of new clubs.agree on a new cup competition should be introduced with a new trophy but lets just try to enjoy a new west of Scotland league starting up.

4 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Am not debating anything.you called another cup crap, then asked for a new competion to replace both.it had a big enough profile before the influx of new clubs.agree on a new cup competition should be introduced with a new trophy but lets just try to enjoy a new west of Scotland league starting up.

No i did not.

6 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Statement or question? You know what I meant. The SOS league was always Dumfries and Stranraer teams. 

yes but the South Regional Challenge Cup was for clubs from the SFA's South Region, not the South of Scotland League. It was set up by the SFA in 2007, along with its counterpart the North Regional Challenge Cup (for Highland area clubs), with some money thrown in for good measure. The cash ran out after 2 years, the northern sides binned it but the Southern version lives on.

But to confuse things, the Southern Counties FA call their D&G knockout the Southern Counties Challenge Cup / South Challenge Cup.

15 minutes ago, Super Saddler said:

i don't doubt that at all. I have learnt a lot about Scottish non-league football over the last couple of years. My main interest has been the East of Scotland  League. Generally down here people don't know about Junior  football. Anyway, I wish all of the teams forming the new WOS league all the best for the next season. Just got the North to sort now.

Fair enough!

2 minutes ago, gogsy said:

35 years since the last 5 figure attendance according to wiki (although 3 attendances are missing since then, doubt HOB v Lesmahagow got near that) Last decade its been 4500-6500, three out of last four have been less than 5000. There a trend and its not upwards.

What I meant was the 5 fig crowds didn't die off in the 50s. Very close correlation to the live TV age though.

https://neilstonjuniors.beezer.com/

CLUB STATEMENT

Recently there have been a series of meetings between the Lowland League and representatives from the Scottish Junior FA regarding the setting up of a new West of Scotland League next season. Some of these meetings were attended by representatives from Neilston Juniors FC along with other clubs.

At present, the East of Scotland and South of Scotland leagues sit in the tier below the Lowland League in the Scottish football pyramid. The formation of a West of Scotland League will provide a geographical balance and allow a route for ambitious clubs in the west of the country to progress through the Scottish football system.

As custodians of the club, the Neilston Juniors Committee firmly believe that joining the new West of Scotland League is the right option for our club. This way forward is progressive and will drive up standards at our club, both on and off the park. 

There are measures currently being progressed whereby any club joining the West of Scotland League would still be entitled to retain a dual membership with the Scottish Junior FA and therefore compete in the Scottish Junior Cup if they so wished.

Ordinarily our next step would have been to hold a club members’ meeting but the current UK wide coronavirus measures recently introduced mean that this cannot happen.

The committee therefore intend to submit our application to join the West of Scotland League by the 7th April deadline. There is time from now till then, over the next two weeks, for club season ticket members, management and players to ask about, or get clarification on, any aspect of what this means for the club.

Therefore please contact Match Secretary Kevin Robertson by telephone (07817 271100), by email (admin@neilstonjuniors.com) or by private message on Twitter (@NeilstonJFC) or Facebook (Neilston Juniors FC) and we will try to answer all your queries or give you further information.

We appreciate that you all are dealing with far bigger concerns right now but we’ll keep pushing on and football will be back at Brig O’Lea when the time is right.

Neilston Juniors FC Committee

Edited by archieb

16 minutes ago, gogsy said:

35 years since the last 5 figure attendance according to wiki (although 3 attendances are missing since then, doubt HOB v Lesmahagow got near that) Last decade its been 4500-6500, three out of last four have been less than 5000. There a trend and its not upwards.

It still attracts a crowd more than double that Kelty vs Bonnyrigg crowd everyone was beating off over last month.

So if I'm understanding right, you have to apply to the WoS league to join the pyramid. If you don't apply you're still going to be playing in a pyramid league, against other teams who want to be part of the pyramid and could potentially finish ahead of one of these teams in the league? Does that mean that only the bottom tier will be for those clubs who don't apply, or will there be movement between the leagues below Lowland League level (surely if there is then that makes these teams de facto part of the pyramid?). As to the Junior Cup, I take it this staying Junior thing is for current clubs only but what about current East Clubs who have applied to the East of Scotland League?

10 minutes ago, gogsy said:

The total attendance for the three SJC quarter finals  so far barely reached the figure of that league game you utter melt. Junior semifinal attendances have struggled to reach four figures in recent years as well.

What are the attendance figures for the quarter finals and semi finals of the SCC ?

You're comparing apples and kettles.