Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Start up the new West of Scotland League and everybody has a season knowing what’s at stake for them at the end of it rather than changing something that will in 3 months be all changed again ....

Assuming the PWG talks are successful.....

3 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Genuine question. What overheads, apart from player’s wages will Junior clubs have during this time?

I never said specifically Juniors I meant forum members in general.  

I don't know do they have no other staff at all? do any clubs rent their stadiums or all own their own.  Don't KRR hire someone else's ground? is this game by game or are they still expected to pay for the season? I don't claim to be an expert on the clubs at this level.  Do Junior clubs not pay bills on your stadiums, maintenance,  insurance, electricity, water, council tax etc presumably the government get their share in some kind of business taxes?

Honestly if Talbots only overhead during this time is player wages then please let us all know how you've managed it?

Edited by San Starko Rover

So what's their ground like?
To be honest, I'm always getting Drumchapel United and Drumchapel Amateurs mixed up. One of them play at Donald Dewar Centre, and the other plays at Glenhead Park (also known as "The Hibby" as the former home of Duntocher Hibernian)(where Clydebank first played when they returned as a junior team). I'm not sure which team plays where, perhaps somebody could clarify ?

Drumchapel United merged with Possil YM a while ago, so I believe they are officially called Drumchapel United PYM.

1 minute ago, glensmad said:

To be honest, I'm always getting Drumchapel United and Drumchapel Amateurs mixed up. One of them play at Donald Dewar Centre, and the other plays at Glenhead Park (also known as "The Hibby" as the former home of Duntocher Hibernian)(where Clydebank first played when they returned as a junior team). I'm not sure which team plays where, perhaps somebody could clarify ?

Drumchapel United merged with Possil YM a while ago, so I believe they are officially called Drumchapel United PYM.

It will be the Donald Dewar Centre one - what's it like? Would it get in the Juniors (or WoSL) ?

18 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

This season's a write-off, end of story. Probably there's a case for completing this year's Junior Cup at some point, but the leagues are finished, and with the amount of teams likely to be away at the end of the season there would necessarily be a restructure by what was left which would make this season's promotion/relegation immaterial.

Even with the most optimistic projections, things will just be starting up again by mid-June and even people shouldn't be in denial that subsequently it'll then be a case of snapping straight back to business as usual.

There's a very real chance that a lot of teams have already probably played their last game in the juniors without even knowing it.

I can see certain smaller clubs (relying on two or three old timers off the park) going to the wall depending how badly the virus hits Scotland.

6 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

I don't know do they have no other staff at all? do any clubs rent their stadiums or all own their own.  Don't KRR hire someone else's ground? is this game by game or are they still expected to pay for the season? I don't claim to be an expert on the clubs at this level.  Do Junior clubs not pay bills on your stadiums, maintenance,  insurance, electricity, water, council tax etc presumably the government get their share in some kind of business taxes?

Honestly if Talbots only overhead during this time is player wages then please let us all know how you've managed it?

Like a lot of clubs in football who owns what might need Perry Mason to figure out.

So a club might have owned the ground at some time in the past but the ground/land today in 2020 might be owned by say the local council. Some Junior clubs lost grounds way back to compulsory purchase by councils wanting land for housing. A few clubs disappeared in highly dubious circumstances and then there was no house building.

Shawfield Juniors and Bridgeton Waverley being two examples. Both grounds carried on for decades in a football sphere, one by the council and the other by Celtic FC.

7 hours ago, glensmad said:

Drumchapel United have applied :-

They play in the Central Scottish Amateur League's Premier Division. Probably considered to be the strongest league in the amateurs due to Colville Park, Harestanes success in the Amateur Cup.

And they are the team that plays out of the Donald Dewar Centre. No idea what its like, but they've obviously put in their due diligence so it must be close enough to meet the ground criteria. Unless they have something else up their sleeve.

I'm glad to see them go through with it. I was having my doubts after they showed that initial interest.

EDIT: They added another tweet to that. Looks like they might drop the PYM for the WOSFL and just go by Drumchapel United. With the possible continuation in the amateurs as well.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

7 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

I don't have any knowledge of these things pal. Hence my question. 

The public liability insurance I can understand but assuming the premises will not be occupied except for someone checking it from time to time, I'm struggling to see how the bills will be enough to put clubs to the wall. The utility companies will see a lot of default payments form everywhere, taxes have been delayed and maintenance will be little to nothing given the lack of use. Of course it is not a good scenario but I'm doubtful there will be anyone banging on the door threatening to foreclose.

All that is caveated with the fact I'm guessing but I hope I'm right.

8 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

From the 17 years of the West Super League, one of the winners has applied.

Woopy fucking doo.

One of the winners has announced that they have applied.

The others haven't said anything yet.

55 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

Woopy fucking doo.

Here's a wee prediction, Carluke will be where everyone else is in 5 years time. Or out of business. There is zero reason to not apply apart from bloody-mindedness. Not one will be turned down. Drumchapel Utd PYM  play at a 3g cage!

image.thumb.png.c501bebb01d9787a0b82aa46a65b28ea.png

Edited by cmontheloknow

45 minutes ago, The Ilford Drummer said:

Woopy fucking doo.

1/6 publicly applied. Likes of Meadow are having a meeting on it they've been trying to organise under the circumstances.

Think Talbot, Glenafton, and Pollok all made notes of interest previously.

Not sure on Beith. Can't recall anything being said about them.

1 minute ago, FairWeatherFan said:

1/6 publicly applied. Likes of Meadow are having a meeting on it they've been trying to organise under the circumstances.

Think Talbot, Glenafton, and Pollok all made notes of interest previously.

Not sure on Beith. Can't recall anything being said about them.

Cannot see a single top flight club sitting this one out. Anyone that misses the bus here will have deliberately turned the other way to not see it.